Advanced search  

Poll

In Reply #24 to the "Summary of Debris" thread, there is a scale for the picture of the scallop shell.

2 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 5 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 8 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
13 centimeters
- 1 (6.3%)
18 centimeters
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video  (Read 421442 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »

Through the open pilot's hatch that I identified in Reply #35 to the "Landing near the Norwich" thread, I think I am able to identify the following instruments (see time 13:41:53, frame 12 of the subject video, upper righthand quadrant):

Eyebrow Panel -

#9 Direction finding control apparatus (the reference number is to the Harney drawings)

#4 Left and right thermocouple switches

Main Panel -

#4 Left and right manifold pressure guages

#5 Left tachometer

#11 Bank and turn indicator

#12 Rate of climb

#26 Autopilot RUD and AIL adjustment knobs

#26 Autopilot directional gyro

#16 Wing tanks fuel guage

#25 Selector switch for wing tank guage

#18 Sensitive altimeter

Knee panel -

Ignition switches

4 slots, 2 each for Throttle and Mixture levers, partially obscured by pilot's wheel

Pilot's wheel is seen now to be in the neutral position, not turned 80 degrees to the right, as I thought several days ago.

Western Electric 27A Remote main dial with

FREQ knob (lower left) and AUDIO GAIN knob (lower right)

2 of 5 toggle switches (REC/OFF and DAY/NITE)

Co-pilot's wheel (not the Western Electric 9A Remote, as I originally thought, which was later found elsewhere)

Pilot's seat cushion, which appears to have the standard "cut-out" in the middle of the forward edge (not shown in Harney drawing)

Aircraft exterior -

The rectangular cover to the fueling port for the left forward cabin fuel tank can also be seen (faintly) aft of the rear edge of the open pilot's hatch.

I think the time has come to summarize the components that can be seen in the High Definition video from 2010. Starting with the various items in the cockpit, which I have included above by Quote from Reply #54, I can see:

1. Top of right wing, with the numerals "0" and "2",

2. Wingtip of right wing, with position light,

3. Underside of left wing without aileron and right rudder (revised) 2010, and 2012

4. Bottom of the star in the Lockheed logo from the outside of the right rudder Withdrawn: both rudders are elsewhere.

5. Possible headset and wire seen as the "squiggle",

6. HF antenna cable and insolators, 2010 and 2012

7. Engine and propeller (John Balderston),

8. Tailwheel and tailcone,

9. Battery (probably auxiliary), 2010 and 2012,

10. Top of fuel tank with filler pipe from port in side of fuselage,

11. Landing gear assembly with upside-down fender in 2010 and 2012,

12. Numerous pieces of sheet metal evidencing man-made characteristics, such as straight edges, 90 degree corners, round holes, etc.

13. Co-pilot's windows

14. HF transmitter, tubes showing in 2010 and also in 2012

15. Fuselage fuel tank selector

16. Toilet compartment, with dorsal vent (not a "position light") in 2010 and again in 2012

17. Pelorus and Navigator's desk in 2010 and in 2012

18. A-7 Octant in 2010 and in 2012

19. Fred Noonan, Navigator

20. The Pilot

21. Sextant and triangle

22. Fuselage fuel tank

23. Severed hand

24. Key

25. Left rudder as seen in 2010 and again in 2012

26. Banjo with case, violin with case, and guitar

27. Five sacks of spare parts and bottles

28. Nose compartment

29. Second landing gear assembly, possibly the Bevington Object, as seen in 2010 and in 2012

30. Left shoe and right shoe

31. Spare tail wheel and tire (2012 only)

32. Kodak Duo Six-20 camera, with flash attachment in 2010 and flash attachment only in 2012

33. Bausch & Lomb Field Glasses in 2010 and in 2012

34. Bracelet with ridged panels

35. Fly swatter

36. Ballentine's Ale can and toilet paper rolls

37. Right rudder, including ground-adjustable trim tab

38. Grayce lubricating gun (P-600)

39. Elevator, including center lifting section

No doubt, there will be more to follow.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:20:55 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »

Closer examination of the co-pilot's side window earlier posted shows that the lower right-hand corner of the window has been sheared away from the remainder. Since the two parts are in close proximity to one another, I would assume that the shearing action took place at the final impact.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:14:17 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »

There is little doubt in my mind now concerning the cable (not rope) being the dorsal HF antenna. Each of the two strands at the bottom of the slope have what I assume to be an insulating ring between the antenna portion and the metal attachment flange (seen as a flat piece of metal on the left strand). The Harney diagram shows a similar insulator in front of the mast, where the antenna is attached to the top of the fuselage.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:42:03 PM by Tim Mellon »

Will Hatchell

• inactive
  • "Down to the nitty-gritty"
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »

Tim,

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that also a metal flange along the right strand (about right center of the image)?

Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »

Tim,

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that also a metal flange along the right strand (about right center of the image)?

Could very well be, and logically should be. Kind of fuzzy to be sure of it.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Will Hatchell

• inactive
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »

Tim,

Could very well be, and logically should be. Kind of fuzzy to be sure of it.

Well, it's not all that fuzzy looking to me, at least, and it is definitely attached to the wire and is on the right strand, not the left. It has distinctive corners and edges, very metallic in appearance compared to other items in view.
Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »

Well, it's not all that fuzzy looking to me, at least, and it is definitely attached to the wire and is on the right strand, not the left. It has distinctive corners and edges, very metallic in appearance compared to other items in view.

Hatch, go back and look at the second take: much clearer, and confirms your opinion.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Will Hatchell

• inactive
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »

Hatch, go back and look at the second take: much clearer, and confirms your opinion.

If we're talking about the same tag-like item along the right strand which in the second take is closer down to the lower-right corner of view?

Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »

If we're talking about the same tag-like item along the right strand which in the second take is closer down to the lower-right corner of view?
Precisely.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »

Tim Mellon,

In the image you've posted in your Reply #2 above, you say you are seeing a cable/wire on the left and a cable/wire on the right.  Have you even considered the possibility that what you're calling the cable/wire on the right isn't a cable, wire, or rope at all?  Have you even considered the possibility (I would say likelihood) that it is simply the shadow of the higher portion of the coral/rock ledge pretty distinctly visible in the the lower right portion of the image.  The shadow of the upper part of the ledge is being cast on to the lower part of the ledge.  Note how your right-hand "cable/wire" bends as you approach the lower right portion of the image, and this bend matches the bend in what pretty obviously to me is the face of the rock/coral ledge.  Your right-hand "cable/wire" is actually this shadow.

Frankly, looking at the left-hand cable, it's not so obvious that it is a cable at all, either.  It could be the shadow cast by another small step/ledge in the rock.

Evaluating where the light source is in an image and evaluating the resulting shadows is very important in analyzing an image.  How do I know this and know to be wary of shadows that might look like physical objects?  I have looked at hundreds of underwater images from electronic still cameras and still captures from underwater video cameras, all taken using artificial light.  I work with a group of people who collectively have looked at tens of thousands of such images.  They all agree with me that what you see as a "cable" on the right side of this image is really a shadow cast by the rock/coral.

Jeff P.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 03:29:39 PM »

They all agree with me that what you see as a "cable" on the right side of this image is really a shadow cast by the rock/coral.

Jeff P.

Sorry, Jeff, but if you wind the film back to 13:38:12;11 you will see that the right cable passes directly in front of the left cable. This is a straight on view with the ROV lights pointing straight ahead.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 01:20:30 AM »

Its been mentioned before but the 'clam' shell is the only item on the video that can help with scale.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39:51 AM »

He identified item 2 as a dead fish..."yuk says he"! 

Bob, you don't suppose, do you, that it's the same fish that was jumping in the Bevington photo?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »

The accompanying shot I think shows a narrow section of fuselage behind the main entrance door (not in picture). What is labeled the red position light on top of the fuselage is apparently a vent for the WC compartment, even though not shown as such on the Harney drawing.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:11:03 PM by Tim Mellon »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »

He identified item 2 as a dead fish..."yuk says he"! 

Bob, you don't suppose, do you, that it's the same fish that was jumping in the Bevington photo?

Don't you be tryin' to git me in truble by suggestin' what I thank aboot thet Bevington foto ther dude.  ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org