Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 318690 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

If it were modern gasket packing material for a ship, then why would if appear that it is connected to these 2 targets, and we dont see it other places?

I don't see any indication that it is connected to anything.  To me it looks like it's just laying there.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2012, 11:30:10 AM »

Hum---ok.
Does it appear anywhere else? I didnt see it, but I'm probably not looking in the right place.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »

Does it appear anywhere else?

I'm not sure but I don't have time to review many hours of video looking for something that we have reason to believe is not significant.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

Ok I undersand that. Was just thinking that if the squiggley only shows up around these 2 objects, then possibly there is a relationship between the 2. If it was whip coral, or gasket material, there may be more, and maybe we would have seen it.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »

For today's entertainment, we present the wingtip from a different vantage point, to the left of the first camera location (near the rope), and looking Northeast. The squigglie appears clearly in both pictures. This shot shows the bottom right side of the last "0" in the registration number NR16020. The wingtip is pointing up and away from the viewer.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:08:11 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »

"And now for something completely different!"  (Monty Python...)

Close examination of the Harney drawing of the underside of the fuselage of NR16020 reveals these parts to be as indicated in the annotation. Airplanes are made up of more things than just wings and instrument panels. (Correction: should be STARBOARD, not PORT side).
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:38:07 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »

Here are two more interesting details. Compare the unobscured part of the star to the photo of the logo on the tail of the airplane.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »

Could this be your removable cap?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »

Woody, I suppose. But the one on top of the engine looks like it has a smooth rim, whereas the one underwater looks knurled. Dunno.

Wait a minute --- what's that round thing inside the cockpit, like on the back of the copilot's seat?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:40:53 PM by Tim Mellon »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2012, 05:29:15 AM »

Can't see it! How about and arrow pointing at it?

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2012, 06:42:15 AM »

Tim---My thoughts were that if it were gasket packing material from a ship, then why do we just see it around 2 objects, that 'look like' landing gear struts? I would think that if it were something other than an accessory to the 'struts', then we would see more of it in other locations. Not to contradict Ric, but I havent seen this in any other parts of the video, or the pictures. Only around these 2 targets.
Thoughts?

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2012, 07:11:08 AM »

Tim---My thoughts were that if it were gasket packing material from a ship, then why do we just see it around 2 objects, that 'look like' landing gear struts? I would think that if it were something other than an accessory to the 'struts', then we would see more of it in other locations. Not to contradict Ric, but I havent seen this in any other parts of the video, or the pictures. Only around these 2 targets.
Thoughts?

I have looked carefully again, Tom, and now think you are correct: one to the right (South) of the end of the rope, and the other lying on the wingtip trailing edge. I thought there might be others, but what I saw were just duplicates of these two from different angles. And these two are quite close together in real space, I estimate less than ten meters apart. I can't yet identify the "strut" you refer to, but I agree that whatever the "squiggly" is, it came with the plane in 1937.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:59:32 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »

I think the process is backwards. We don't know what the squiggly stuff is, but we do know, rather precisely, the shape and dimension of the wing. Therefore it should be the wing, if anything, that gives scale to the squiggly, not the other way around. Ric, I thought, was reporting the opinion of a mariner. Since this material is not part of the shipwreck, I can't see any reason to put too much credence in an opinion so far removed from an airplane.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »

John Balderston, I think it was, opined that he thought the round object in the attached still shot was a main landing gear folded back up alongside the port engine.

My own interpretation of this picture (now that I have looked at it hundreds of times) is that we are looking at the upside-down tail section of the airplane, with the tailwheel assembly, somewhat broken up, lying above the rather distinctively shaped "tailcone". The Harney drawings have a good presentation of the tailwheel assembly.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:17:26 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »

So, Tim, this was in a different area that was searched on Niku VII? See anything between the 2 , or the live feeds that are duplicated?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org