Advanced search  

Poll

In Reply #24 to the "Summary of Debris" thread, there is a scale for the picture of the scallop shell.

2 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 5 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 8 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
13 centimeters
- 1 (6.3%)
18 centimeters
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video  (Read 421428 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »

Yet a little harder to make out, but only feet away from the camera, are what I percieve to be the Bausch & Lomb binoculars, listed as Item #15 in the Luke Field Report. A photograph of the real McCoy follows the 2010 HD video shot below.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Will Hatchell

• inactive
  • "Down to the nitty-gritty"
« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »

Yet a little harder to make out, but only feet away from the camera, are what I percieve to be the Bausch & Lomb binoculars, listed as Item #15 in the Luke Field Report. A photograph of the real McCoy follows the 2010 HD video shot below.

Yes indeed, and even the strap is visible. Nice find, Tim!  ;)
Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »

william and Bob: you two are about the only people here with such constantly negative thoughts.

Before falsely assuming that Bob's and William's willingness to post means they are alone in their "negativity", a few quotes are worth considering:

Thomas Carlyle:  "Silence is more eloquent than words."

Euripides:  "Silence is true wisdom's best reply"

Che Guevera:  "Silence is argument carried out by other means."

Plutarch:  "Silence at the proper season is wisdom, and better than any speech."

Those people happen to be dead, but live forum readers who share their views may be legion.  I am one.

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »

Nice amusing imaginary stuff from Mr Mellon - I suspect that he has a sense of humour and is quietly taking the mickey. The alternative is just too dire to consider.

But I would like to ask a serious question. It is clear that there are no man made objects apart from that odd bit of rope or cable, which obviously comes from a snagged line of a fishing boat, in the video. So my question concerns the location of the island's rubbish dump - obviously there would be no place on shore for a dump, and the islanders would simply toss the non recyclable trash in the ocean so where is that located if there was a regular spot? I can see the possibility that this trash like the debris field from the Norwich City which, despite claims to the contrary, remains largely ill-defined can be confused with aircraft parts by over eager amateur observers.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »

... my question concerns the location of the island's rubbish dump - obviously there would be no place on shore for a dump, and the islanders would simply toss the non recyclable trash in the ocean so where is that located if there was a regular spot? ...

I asked Emily Sikuli that question in 2003.

The question seemed almost unintelligible to her.  "Non-recyclable trash" seemed not to be part of her world.

It may be that she was too young to be aware of a regular spot for getting rid of garbage.  I wasn't able to cross-check her answer with any other former Niku residents.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John Kada

• T3
« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »

Message to Jeff. (Session timed out before I could post, so had to take a picture of the Preview). Reference is to a post by Ric.

Tim, in your post you say:

“Doesn’t it seem odd to you that there are objects common to both the 2010 and 2012 High Definition videos that have been ignored by Tighar? Doesn’t it seem odd to you that Ric would take the word of a K-O-K crew member as to the identity of the squiggle rather than promoting independent investigation of the subject matter? Since a year ago the Forum’s inquisitive nature about the contents of the Wire & Rope video have been “dampened” by this gratuitous conclusion.”

Why would Ric/Tighar ignore an obvious piece of Electra debris? The whole point of the Earhart project, after all, is to prove the Niku hypothesis.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2013, 04:08:38 AM »

Why would Ric/Tighar ignore an obvious piece of Electra debris? The whole point of the Earhart project, after all, is to prove the Niku hypothesis.

Good question.                                           

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:03:59 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2013, 05:01:30 AM »

It is clear that there are no man made objects apart from that odd bit of rope or cable, which obviously comes from a snagged line of a fishing boat, in the video.

I had been led to believe that Ric does not approve of such conclusionary statements without the offering of evidence, or some semblance of proof, or at the very least an expression of the author's belief.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #293 on: January 05, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »

Jeff, thank you for your very thoughtful, and as usual, well scripted reply.

No, I don't feel that camps are appropriate here, either, and I know everyone is making his own honest effort towards the same ultimate goal. Skepticism is essential in all such endeavors and your own trail of posts proves its efficacy in forcing eyes and minds to produce the very best possible answers.

I have tried here never to claim "proof" of anything, but only to bring out suggestions of what my own eyes see and how my own mind (for the purpose of discussion) sets thes various items in a logical context. But if my eyes "see" what looks to me like a banjo, and then I Google away and find (to my surprise) that Amelia Earhart played the banjo, which gives some credibility to the possibility that a banjo might be found in this context, then I don't feel that it is particularly useful for others to summarily dismiss the possibility just because Amelia Earhart was concerned about takeoff weight. More useful to the effort, in my opinion, would be to ask further why there might be a banjo there, and why would it be outside its case? I don't agree with Mr. Kelly, for instance, that "The alternative is just too dire to consider." Perhaps Mr. Kelly "can't handle the truth" as Jack Nickelson meant it, but I feel that we must let the questions lead us to further answers, not bury them to avoid difficult conclusions.

Let us all continue in good faith.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:33:13 AM by Tim Mellon »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #294 on: January 05, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »

BTW - I've found the need to overcome those occasional nasty 'time-out' message losses by simply copying my intended post before submitting it so that it is preserved for re-insertion on a new attempt.  That may help in case you encounter that jam again, but I could read your attachment fine, of course.

Just as a matter of information, I have discovered that when you get the "nasty 'time-out' message", if you return to the bottom of your message page and click on the "preview" button you  will, at least usually, get a "new time" while saving the already completed portion of your post.

Hope this helps.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #295 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »

Thank you Woody, I'll give that a try!
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »

but I do think critical thought is in order: the Electra won't be found by creative theory about what apparently natural formations seem to suggest as to wreckage.

Thanks.
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »

Hi Jeff Nevill

As far as am aware there is not another, Lets say situation were a search of a reef face for a lost plane has been conducted, of which results could be used to compare with what members of Tighar are trying to prove, We have nothing to go off as to scale, weather aluminum would still shine, steel cables corrode in this environment ?

I believe that what we are doing is the first of it's kind, An may well be used in future searches by other generations to come as an example

What i do believe though is that Tighar's speculation of what happened to plane when it went over edge is correct, that it got broken into piece's,

So until Tighar go back, Pick up one of the objects that are claimed to be there, We don't know who is right or wrong

And i will gladly hold my hand up an say i was wrong if that is proved the case.

However i Believe that ain't going to happen

Thanks Richie  ;)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »

It is clear that there are no man made objects apart from that odd bit of rope or cable, which obviously comes from a snagged line of a fishing boat, in the video.

I had been led to believe that Ric does not approve of such conclusionary statements without the offering of evidence, or some semblance of proof, or at the very least an expression of the author's belief.

I don't know if you are aware of the conundrum Mr Mellon of trying to prove that something which isn't there isn't there. I said that apart from the rope/line/cable there are no other man made objects to be seen in the video. I'll stick with that assertion because I have identified the only man made object there - you have claimed that there are others.

I see your claims, like the bodies of Fred and Amelia, guitars, banjos, the whole string section of the Cleveland Orchestra, enough assorted airplane parts to build several Electras and a Hudson with the leftovers (alright I exaggerate) as simple whimsy  :) . But I am not condemning you at all in fact I rather enjoy your whimsical sense of fun as you happily claim to see things and watch as others agree with you. I presume at some time you must have had marketing and advertising experience because you sure do know how to play upon human psychology, so please keep finding these things. It is informative in the sense that it tells us what isn't there. So keep up the good work  :)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #299 on: January 06, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »

You might be right, Mr. Kelly.

But then again, so might I.

Let us agree to keep open minds.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org