Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 318687 times)

Bob Lanz

• T4
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »

Ok---where do we go from here? Another expedition to take more video and pictures?

Tom, that all depends on who will put up the "Big Bucks" and we're not talking pocket change like the last expedition.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »

Hey Doc---Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! :)
True--really big bucks. Sorry, I suffer from an affliction known as myfundsarelow. Thats why I was thinking on why when the State Dpet asks "how can we help", something like --"well gee Mr/Mm. Secretary, we sure could use some subsalvage teams. Can you help with that?"
We have these things we want to bring up and really analyze, but dont have the funding. So---
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov: Instrument panels
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »

...post identifiers in screenshots to defend your position and your analysis. 

Bob, I'd love to be able to do this. Tell me where I can learn how to place arrows and baloons on a picture. Perhaps hou could give me a tutorial.

Tim, I gave a simple tutorial on this thread. General discussion / Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »  If you need more help, you are free to PM me for a more in depth tutorial.

Doc - like this?  Last of four attachments is Ric's copy of cockpit frame.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:19:49 PM by Tim Mellon »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »

Hi Tim

Just a few images to show what we should be seeing rear of cockpit control's

Hope this helps

Thank's Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:06:43 PM by richie conroy »

Bob Lanz

• T4
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov: Instrument panels
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »

Bob, I'd love to be able to do this. Tell me where I can learn how to place arrows and baloons on a picture. Perhaps hou could give me a tutorial.

Tim, I gave a simple tutorial on this thread. General discussion / Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »  If you need more help, you are free to PM me for a more in depth tutorial.

Doc - like this?  Last of four attachments is Ric's copy of cockpit frame.

Good job Tim, you got it.  Glad I could help.

Regards,
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

And a couple moor
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »

Ok----someone please educate this non-computer savvy member: How do you guys run the video, then stop it frame by frame, and get a good enough picture to find all of this stuff?
Tom

Tim/Tom,

(Note: Tim, I saw a recent post of yours showing annotated frame grabs. I decided to post this anyway as the video viewer described below makes it so much easier to analyze the TIGHAR Youtube videos).

An alternate, slightly more complicated, but very useful way to grab/annotate a frame:
  • Step 1: Download the Youtube video to your computer
  • Step 2: Find the video location using the scroll bar, short jumps in the video using the middle mouse wheel, then finally zeroing in on a frame by frame basis
  • Step 3: Take a frame grab (to the clipboard) or snapshot (to file)
  • Step 4: Annotate the image
for a PC is below. I like to do it this way because I have a lot more control over video playback (and enhancements) than with Youtube.

Step  1: Download the Youtube Video

I use the Firefox  "Easy YouTube Video Downloader" to download Youtube videos. You can find it by searching under Tools/Add-ons/Get Add-ons for "Easy YouTube Video Downloader". It's quite easy to use. There is likely a similar add-on for internet explorer. See the image below to see where to click to download the Youtube video after the Add-on is installed. You'll have to select the download resolution and specify a file location.

Step 2: Find something interesting in the video

VLC is a really good FREE audio/video viewer that makes it easy to navigate to specific frames, take snapshots,  or loop continuously over a segment of video. You can download it at http://wiki.videolan.org/. I've used it for years. It's very good and provides a lot of control over moving around in the video. Note that Richie used it to create the first snapshot here.

After downloading and installing VLC, to set it up for TIGHAR video viewing:

Go to Tools/Preferences

Click "All" under Show settings at the lower left.

Go to "Hotkeys settings"

Set your "Jump Sizes". These are the lengths of time you can jump forward or backwards through the video. I use:

• Very short jump length = 1 sec (controlled with center mouse wheel)
  • Short jump length = 5
  • Medium jump length = 10
  • Long jump length = 25

Now look at the hotkey settings in the scolling box. Useful keys:

• f     Go to full screen mode
  • ESC  Leave fullscreen mode
  • Space   Pause/restart
  • =   Normal speed
  • [   Slower
  • ]   Faster
  • jumps   Shows various ways to jump forward/backward in the video
  • e   Advance forward one frame

===> Make sure to "SAVE" when you're done.

I use the image scroll bar to position the image just before where I want it, then use the mouse wheel and "e" single frame advance to find a specific frame.

You can create a bookmark via Ctrl-B or via Playback/Custom Bookmarks/Manage. If you click a bookmark you'll jump to that bookmark.

You can loop over a segment of video by clicking the loop icon. I find this useful to view something interesting over and over again at slightly different angles.

Step 3: Grab a screen snapshot
Alt-Print Screen (i.e., hold down the Alt key then press Print Screen) will copy the current screen to the clipboard.

Or, you can take a snapshot from the control panel at the bottom (the icon looks like a camera) or "Take a snapshot" under the "Video" command set at the top of the screen. You'll have to tell VLC where to store the image.

Step 4: Add your annotations

An easy way to do this is using the Microsoft Paint program. See Programs/Accessories/Paint. It's very easy to use. You can either paste a screen grab into Paint (Ctrl-V) or import your video snapshot.

I find Powerpoint or Photoshop to be more useful because you have better control over image enhancements and moving shapes/text around the image.

------
Doug

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:43:11 PM by Doug Giese »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »

Here is the first of several comparisons of the actual instrument from the cockpit frame of the Niku VI HD video (extended) and the comparable drawing from the Harney compendium, the Sensitive Altimeter (#18):

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »

Next, just to the left and below the Sensitive Altimeter, is the Selector switch for the wing tank guage:
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:38:18 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »

#16, the Wing tank fuel guage, shows the level of fuel in the tank selected by the switch (#25) previously shown.

Its right half is obscured by an as yet unidentified vertical column:
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

#26 Autopilot directional gyro and knobs, to the right and higher than the Sensitive Altimeter, especially the "smiley mouth" at the bottom of the gyro:
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »

In the top row of the main panel, just above the directional gyro, #4 left and right manifold pressure guages:
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:45:25 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

Just to the right of the manifold pressure guages can be seen #5 left tachometer:
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »

On the knee panel, the HF radio controller (still tuned to 3105 and 6210) including the FREQ and AUDIO GAIN knobs:
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:22:22 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »

The pilot's seat (seen from above), with the standard "cut-out", which is not shown in the Harney drawings. Just aft of the cut-out appears the seatbelt buckle. The little black spec at the rear of the cut-out may be the front edge of the dynamometer, which was positioned under the pilot's seat:
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:26:24 PM by Tim Mellon »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org