Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1274529 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1440 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »

Possible match ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #1441 on: August 17, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

Richie, I can't pull out the individual frames of the video with my software, but check out what is in the upper right corner of the last few frames of the video with the manipulator arm. Perhaps an engine? Scale is a problem again.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #1442 on: August 17, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »

HUM-----didnt think they were going to use the manipulator arms YET-----
Pic is interesting. 'maybe they DID recover 'something'
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #1443 on: August 17, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »

If they did find something, I would be very surprised if they didn't try to retrive something, provided it were small enough.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #1444 on: August 17, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »

Wouldn't they have to treat it though?

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #1445 on: August 17, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »

Could be a fender Breaking news

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1446 on: August 17, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »

The semi weekly meeting of the regional "camel in the sky magic thinking club" is now called to order.

Scale of course makes it impossible to know but . . .  .

#1 is that the front of an engine cowling,
#2 the other cowling?
#3 the front of the fusilage after the cockpit is removed?
#4 the real engine cowling?
#5 engine cowling again? or wheel mount?

Or not.  Only 2min of viewing time re: this pic.
Loving it.
L

You obviously don't see the picture correctly

1) remaining part of strut

2) edge of wheel bay

3) 4) 5) skeletons of wing spars  :) 

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #1447 on: August 17, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

'maybe they DID recover 'something'

No.  The plan from day one was not to bring back any artifacts.

"Expedition Purpose and Objective": "The objective of the expedition is to locate, identify, and photograph any and all surviving aircraft wreckage. No recovery of wreckage is contemplated. If wreckage is found, the imagery acquired on this expedition will be used to mount a subsequent recovery expedition equipped to safely retrieve and properly conserve whatever remains of NR16020."

The manipulator arms are probably built into the ROV, not mounted and dismounted.  I seem to remember that they used the ROV to rescue the AUV one day.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:36:25 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1448 on: August 17, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »

Ric just posted this to get a good laugh out of our guessing - I think he's entitled.  lots of round things that might be fuel handles and switches with round face plates (from the cockpit).  Scale is still the problem for me.  I need to find something absolute to make sense of any of these items.

L

Then you will be a long time searching good look with that  ;)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1449 on: August 17, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »

Leon this may give you an idea  :)

Member# 416

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1450 on: August 22, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »

Camel/cloud associate member checking in.  With TIGHAR executive director's pledge to put a two-minute pass of the new ROV video up, my #1 search item will the configuration of anomolies recorded around 13:37:56 on the 2010 ROV video from Niku VI. 

I hesitated putting this up prior to Niku VII as this armchair amateur has zero interest getting out in front of the 20+ years of brave research that led TIGHAR to the debris field on Niku reef slope.  I stand in deep appreciation of this achievement! 

However, given the uncertainty over what's out there I submit a comparison of two images: 1) an NR16020 right-hand sideview sans cowling taken at Karachi, Pakistan during the World Flight, and 2) an assemblage of what appear to be man-made items on the reef.  My analysis is admittedly somewhat crude - the best I can do with the limited imagery and the skimpy "tool set" on my laptop.  However, I believe the cumulative similarities are compelling.

Notes:

1.  Aspect.  The slightly different aspect of the two images don't offer a 100% perfect comparison - the Karachi image is taken from a slight front quarter view, whereas the reef image seems to be a direct sideview from slightly below the "nacelle" horizontal plane. 

2.  Propeller clock position.  The Karachi image has the propeller blades at 1/7 o'clock; in the reef image the "propeller" is at 3/9 o'clock.  In the
Karachi image the prop appears to be at fine (high RPM) pitch.  The "prop" in the reef configuration appears to be feathered.

3.  Main Landing Gear.  In the reef configuration the MLG appears to be ripped out at the structural connect point, snapped just above the fork, and "accordian-folded" up against the outboard side of the nacelle.  To approximate the configuration I made an exact duplicate of the Karachi image, cropped around the wheel, rotated to match clock position and set in place.  Note the nearly exact match in wheel size, the slight difference caused the different image aspect.  However, because we view the reef "nacelle" from below the horizontal plane my Karachi "mock up" places the wheel a bit too high on the nacelle; as a result its relation to nacelle "skin panels" is slightly offset.

The longer I look at the "wheel" the more obvious it is that the wheel was flipped 180 degrees, and now has the inboard side facing out with the brake assembly visible.  The fender strut is just barely visible to the left of the fork.

Anyway, my eyes are going to be peeled for this set of anomolies in the new video.

Cheers, John
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:58:40 PM by John Balderston »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1451 on: August 22, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »

Jeff Hayden

look at these too images, would you say they are the same area ?

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1452 on: August 22, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »

I have put arrow to highlight the area both have bar then circle  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1453 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »

Far too early to say Richie except that the HD imaging is 100% better than previous. Some good work went into collecting it. All will become clearer given time. There's no rush.
This must be the place

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #1454 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »

Camel/cloud associate member checking in.  With TIGHAR executive director's pledge to put a two-minute pass of the new ROV video up, my #1 search item will the configuration of anomolies recorded around 13:37:56 on the 2010 ROV video from Niku VI. 

I hesitated putting this up prior to Niku VII as this armchair amateur has zero interest getting out in front of the 20+ years of brave research that led TIGHAR to the debris field on Niku reef slope.  I stand in deep appreciation of this achievement! 

However, given the uncertainty over what's out there I submit a comparison of two images: 1) an NR16020 right-hand sideview sans cowling taken at Karachi, Pakistan during the World Flight, and 2) an assemblage of what appear to be man-made items on the reef.  My analysis is admittedly somewhat crude - the best I can do with the limited imagery and the skimpy "tool set" on my laptop.  However, I believe the cumulative similarities are compelling.

Notes:

1.  Aspect.  The slightly different aspect of the two images don't offer a 100% perfect comparison - the Karachi image is taken from a slight front quarter view, whereas the reef image seems to be a direct sideview from slightly below the "nacelle" horizontal plane. 

2.  Propeller clock position.  The Karachi image has the propeller blades at 1/7 o'clock; in the reef image the "propeller" is at 3/9 o'clock.  In the
Karachi image the prop appears to be at fine (high RPM) pitch.  The "prop" in the reef configuration appears to be feathered.

3.  Main Landing Gear.  In the reef configuration the MLG appears to be ripped out at the structural connect point, snapped just above the fork, and "accordian-folded" up against the outboard side of the nacelle.  To approximate the configuration I made an exact duplicate of the Karachi image, cropped around the wheel, rotated to match clock position and set in place.  Note the nearly exact match in wheel size, the slight difference caused the different image aspect.  However, because we view the reef "nacelle" from below the horizontal plane my Karachi "mock up" places the wheel a bit too high on the nacelle; as a result its relation to nacelle "skin panels" is slightly offset.

The longer I look at the "wheel" the more obvious it is that the wheel was flipped 180 degrees, and now has the inboard side facing out with the brake assembly visible.  The fender strut is just barely visible to the left of the fork.

Anyway, my eyes are going to be peeled for this set of anomolies in the new video.

Cheers, John

I never come to this thread because 105 pages of coral gazing and making stills with arrows is not my speciality. I'll leave it for the paid Dr.Glickman and will believe it when it's topside.  That said, just checking in on page 105 and I think that does look like a tire in your "talented coral" stills. Pretty impressive John. This is older video right? It looks more like a tire than any of the high def stuff I have seen. Must be covered up more.
I can't imagine it is anything but a tire. A round lid maybe. Definitely it's round and looks most promising.
Is it "the" tire though. Or one off a Jeep.
The diameter looks off, but without some scale who knows.
Have fun men.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:01:05 PM by dave burrell »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org