Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 318695 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »

Andrew had a post back in June about it, part of the 'ownership' discussion.

Tom, can you give us reference by thread and reply #?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »

Yep--
thread "who owns the electra today", Andrew McKenna, post #8
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov: Summary of Debris
« Reply #242 on: November 18, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »

Through the open pilot's hatch that I identified in Reply #35 to the "Landing near the Norwich" thread, I think I am able to identify the following instruments (see time 13:41:53, frame 12 of the subject video, upper righthand quadrant):

Eyebrow Panel -

#9 Direction finding control apparatus (the reference number is to the Harney drawings)

#4 Left and right thermocouple switches

Main Panel -

#4 Left and right manifold pressure guages

#5 Left tachometer

#11 Bank and turn indicator

#12 Rate of climb

#26 Autopilot RUD and AIL adjustment knobs

#26 Autopilot directional gyro

#16 Wing tanks fuel guage

#25 Selector switch for wing tank guage

#18 Sensitive altimeter

Knee panel -

Ignition switches

4 slots, 2 each for Throttle and Mixture levers, partially obscured by pilot's wheel

Pilot's wheel is seen now to be in the neutral position, not turned 80 degrees to the right, as I thought several days ago.

Western Electric 27A Remote main dial with

FREQ knob (lower left) and AUDIO GAIN knob (lower right)

2 of 5 toggle switches (REC/OFF and DAY/NITE)

Co-pilot's wheel (not the Western Electric 9A Remote, as I originally thought)

Pilot's seat cushion, which appears to have the standard "cut-out" in the middle of the forward edge (not shown in Harney drawing)

Aircraft exterior -

The rectangular cover to the fueling port for the left forward cabin fuel tank can also be seen (faintly) aft of the rear edge of the open pilot's hatch.

I think the time has come to summarize the components that can be seen in the High Definition video from 2010. Starting with the various items in the cockpit, which I have included above by Quote from Reply #54, I can see:

1. Top of right wing, with the numerals "0" and "2",

2. Wingtip of right wing, with position light,

3. Underside of left wing with aileron,

4. Bottom of the star in the Lockheed logo from the outside of the right rudder,

5. Possible landing gear by the squigglie,

6. HF radio antenna cable, at least two strands,

7. Engine and propeller (John Balderston),

8. Tailwheel and tailcone,

9. Battery (probably auxiliary),

10. Top of fuel tank with filler pipe from port in side of fuselage,

11. Landing gear assembly with upside-down fender,

12. Numerous pieces of sheet metal evidencing man-made characteristics, such as straight edges, 90 degree corners, round holes, etc.

13. Co-pilot's windows

14. Another engine

15. Fuselage fuel tank selector

No doubt, there will be more to follow.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:21:31 AM by Tim Mellon »

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »

This is not up close Dan but here are the drawings with some detail of the antennas.

http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.com/files/l10.pdf

Here is a picture from Purdue Archives of the Dorsal antenna.  It appears to be 16 or 18 AWG solid core copper clad steel used in those days. 

http://tinyurl.com/ao2gxpx

More Info here:

http://tighar.org/wiki/NR16020_antennas

Thank you Mr Lanz - that wire in the water just looks like plain wire cable or nylon rope to me. Something like you might see on a boat.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:15:30 PM by Dan Kelly »

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »

I think the time has come to summarize the components that can be seen in the High Definition video from 2010. Starting with the various items in the cockpit, which I have included above by Quote from Reply #54, I can see:

4. Bottom of the star in the Lockheed logo from the outside of the right rudder,

7. Engine and propeller (John Balderston)

12. Numerous pieces of sheet metal evidencing man-made characteristics, such as straight edges, 90 degree corners, round holes, etc.

That's a lot of airplane bits there - what does TIGHAR say. If it was me I'd say well done we've found her!.   

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »

7. Engine and propeller (John Balderston)

- what does TIGHAR say.

TIGHAR silence is deafening....
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

jgf1944

« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »

Through the open pilot's hatch that I identified in Reply #35 to the "Landing near the Norwich" thread, I think I am able to identify the following instruments (see time 13:41:53, frame 12 of the subject video, upper righthand quadrant):

Tom. I have had no luck with YouTube, Tighar channel. please post some of these exciting images for those of us eager to see what you are seeing...perhaps the wing with the "2" and "0" and an instrument or two.
Thanx, G. Ford

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »

Busy week and haven't gotten here much, but have been chomping at the bit to see what's been going on.  There is so much that it will be DAYS before I catch up.  For one thing, Tim's reckoning about the cockpit has opened a whole new door in my thinking.  I can't see everything Tim is seeing, but I certainly see what could potentially be the fuel door behind the cockpit hatch.  Upper right quarter of the attached image.  I checked the Purdue on-line exhibit for a reference photo of the open fuel door, but couldn't find one.  If anyone can help here please do!  More soon, John
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »

I have had no luck with YouTube, Tighar channel. please post some of these exciting images for those of us eager to see what you are seeing...perhaps the wing with the "2" and "0" and an instrument or two.
Thanx, G. Ford

John, go back to Reply #258 and click on any line.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »

Busy week and haven't gotten here much, but have been chomping at the bit to see what's been going on.  There is so much that it will be DAYS before I catch up.  For one thing, Tim's reckoning about the cockpit has opened a whole new door in my thinking.  I can't see everything Tim is seeing, but I certainly see what could potentially be the fuel door behind the cockpit hatch.  Upper right quarter of the attached image.  I checked the Purdue on-line exhibit for a reference photo of the open fuel door, but couldn't find one.  If anyone can help here please do!  More soon, John

I find the way people are smart enough to see these things is cool. I just see funny looking rocks.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: November 18, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »

- what does TIGHAR say.

Ric was away this weekend.

The board won't meet again for a while.

There probably isn't a research paper in development about this.

I doubt it will make the next TIGHAR Tracks.

You have an appointment to meet with Jeff, don't you?  If so, I doubt that there will be any official comment from TIGHAR until after that.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

tom howard

• T2
« Reply #251 on: November 18, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »

I think the time has come to summarize the components that can be seen in the High Definition video from 2010.

- what does TIGHAR say.

Ric has stated he sees nothing in this video, no airplane and no identifiable airplane parts. He has stated he sees none of the listed parts Tim and a couple of others claim to "see", unless further developments occur.
But out of courtesy seems to have allowed a few folks speculating in that particular sandbox to continue.
So there is no "deafening silence" from Tighar.  How many times does Ric have to say he sees nothing airplane related? His opinion has been well stated.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:55:40 AM by tom howard »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »

These two versions of the same frame (one clear and the other annotated) show the left side of the fuselage and the open cockpit hatch. The various pilot windows are indicated.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »

As luck would have it, the co-pilot's windows are visible to me in the following frame. The location is way up the hill from the cockpit location, and beyond the cable in a gully. A picture of the intact airplane can be used for comparison.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:15:52 AM by Tim Mellon »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »

Tim, what you are calling the “co-pilot’s windows” is probably a piece of coral a few inches wide. The cable/rope is visible before you see it and gives a sense of scale. 
3971R

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org