Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 318692 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

I can offer an opinion though: if I've followed your logic, I don't see how the various components could become disturbed that much (fender from gear) and yet redistributed together again so neatly (back 'in place' except inverted).  Just MHO, of course - which I cannot really explain further I'm afraid, and not saying it cannot be - I just don't see how.

Thank you for your thoughts, Jeff. I believe the two braces could have prevented the fender from separating from the rest of the assembly, yet still allowed the fender to assume its apparent position as it descended the cliff. The fender has not found its original position under the strut, but is about 30 degrees around the wheel axis.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

All I can see in this one is natural sea floor - that is what it looks like to me, Tim.  By what you've described, the 'image' is too '2-D' to be all that IMO, for one thing - I would expect there to be more third-dimensional form to it somehow.  'Flattened' is my impression.

Jeff, if you run the 8.55 minute video between 13:37:06 and 13:37:18 (12 seconds) maybe you will be able to see that the tire sticks up towards the viewer as the camera scans back and forth. Hope this helps.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Now comes some further analysis of the upside-down fender shown as part of the landing gear assembly at time 13:37:09, frame 15. The attachment point of the fender to the bottom of the strut, as drawn in the Harney diagram, is almost exactly one-third of the way from the more pointed front end of the fender to the blunter rear end. Same as in the detached fender in this photo.

I'm no expert but just looking at that picture (thanks Tim) I can't see a plane part in it. It reminds me of sedimentary rocks I've seen when I've been hiking where the layers have been rubbed off so that the layers are exposed. I'm wondering the same thing happens with coral.   

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »

I'm no expert but just looking at that picture (thanks Tim) I can't see a plane part in it. It reminds me of sedimentary rocks I've seen when I've been hiking where the layers have been rubbed off so that the layers are exposed. I'm wondering the same thing happens with coral.

The picture is only a reference. Please look at the video, 12 seconds I referred to in the post reply #242 to Jeff.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2012, 06:14:39 PM »

The picture is only a reference. Please look at the video, 12 seconds I referred to in the post reply #242 to Jeff.

Thank you Tim for your reply. But I did that and I'm no expert around airplanes or rocks but it still just looks like a bit of coral or rock that's been split or something - sort of like you see in an onion. But you seem to know what you are looking at so I won't argue.  :) 

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »

Hi Dan

Like everyone else, Including my self, We all see one thing. And that is coral shaped objects on the slope of Nikumorro. Agreed ?

Now the problem is, Too many of them objects are uncannily in appearance, To aircraft parts

What u have to remember is Aluminum and dust/silt/sand etc are like Bee's to honey, I know this because i have been installing Aluminum windows for the last 10 years  on schools university's shops and so on, Now on the odd occasion in Wire/Rope video's you see places that are covered over, But are view able, the difference in color is so obvious.

Now the reason am so confident that we are looking at a debris field is, That in the second image i have added  look by loop antenna you see 1 cable which branches of to 2 cables that go to each tail fin, And you see same thing in Video's

Thanks Richie

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »

Hi All

This is a question for Ric

At the end of Bevington object topic, U said yous had identified the squiggle as being of modern gasket,

My question is, Is the gasket you claim to be modern, The same one in 2010 video or a different one all together ? 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »

Hi Dan

Like everyone else, Including my self, We all see one thing. And that is coral shaped objects on the slope of Nikumorro. Agreed ?

Now the problem is, Too many of them objects are uncannily in appearance, To aircraft parts

What u have to remember is Aluminum and dust/silt/sand etc are like Bee's to honey, I know this because i have been installing Aluminum windows for the last 10 years  on schools university's shops and so on, Now on the odd occasion in Wire/Rope video's you see places that are covered over, But are view able, the difference in color is so obvious.

Now the reason am so confident that we are looking at a debris field is, That in the second image i have added  look by loop antenna you see 1 cable which branches of to 2 cables that go to each tail fin, And you see same thing in Video's

Thanks Richie

Thank you Richie, I hadn't seen that, but there's a lot I don't know, well that's what they tell me. I can see what you are talking about there in that picture. I wonder what the folks at TIGHAR think?

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

Thanks Richie

Certainly more plausible than my first guess (a bosun's chair from the Norwich City)!

Well done, Richie.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »

Certainly more plausible than my first guess (a bosun's chair from the Norwich City)!

Well done, Richie.

Yeah it does look like it is. One thing that can't make out is that the cable that's behind it looks to be made different, or am I wrong. Does anyone have a pic of what the aerial wire that was on Amelia's airplane looks like up close?   

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2012, 05:31:28 AM »

Looks like batteries haven't changed much over the decades. Here are two shots, one clear and one annotated, of a battery with one of the posts visible. Impossible for me to tell whether it is the main battery, or (more likely) the auxiliary battery which sat just under FN's navigation table.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2012, 06:38:33 AM »

Just "uphill" from the landing gear assembly appears to be one of the four filler pipes to a cabin fuel tank. We are looking forward to aft, with the port in the side of the fuselage at the upper right. The 4" pipe leads diagonally down to the left into a collar on top of the tank. This is frame #08, time 13:37:16.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:40:36 AM by Tim Mellon »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »

Well done, Richie.

Yeah it does look like it is. One thing that can't make out is that the cable that's behind it looks to be made different, or am I wrong. Does anyone have a pic of what the aerial wire that was on Amelia's airplane looks like up close?   

This is not up close Dan but here are the drawings with some detail of the antennas.

http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.com/files/l10.pdf

Here is a picture from Purdue Archives of the Dorsal antenna.  It appears to be 16 or 18 AWG solid core copper clad steel used in those days. 

http://tinyurl.com/ao2gxpx

More Info here:

http://tighar.org/wiki/NR16020_antennas
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:52:48 AM by Bob Lanz »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »

I was talking about this one. With all due respect, I dont see it in the 2012 video.

Now---as for the question about the marine sanctuary--I may be wrong and ric can surely set me straight on this point, but I was under the impression that Tighar COULD raise some part for identification, as long as the reef and sanctuary wasnt disturbed. If you cant find and object, prove beyond any doubt that it is AE's by actual examination, then whats the point of doing a subsurface search? If you think you see something, but cant physically examine it, then IMHO you have spend alot of money on a south seas vacation.
So----how does that agreement work?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »

Well I answered my own question about the recovery thing. Andrew had a post back in June about it, part of the 'ownership' discussion.
Amazing thing this forum.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org