Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Rope video (2012)  (Read 157320 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Possible Rope video (2012)
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

And now for a modest tutorial in cable behavior....
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »

Why, you might ask, are all these aircraft components assumed to be in the same small area? (The following is NOT necessarily the opinion of TIGHAR.)

It is time to take the opportunity to discuss the general underwater topography. The Earhart Electra came to rest in this concentrated are, in my opinion, because it found its way into an "arroyo" between two underwater ridges, one to the South and one to the North. The attachments show views to each side, 2012 to the South, and 2010 to the North. Like a giant funnel, all the aircraft parts have been directed into one small area, tethered together in large part by antenna cables, control cables, conduits, fuel lines, electrical wires and the like.

Discovered photographically in 2010, though not recognized immediately, the same area has been photographed again in the summer of 2012. We are fortunate to have two opposing views of the same debris field. It shows us many common components (landing gear, battery, HF transmitter, fuselage fuel tank, WC compartment and toilet) adding assurance that this is, indeed, the resting place of NR16020, the Earhart Electra.

Many will argue with these assertions, and that is fine, because skepticism is the nursemaid to truth. But when all is said, and done, I believe that we will have to conclude that the final resting place of Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan is that place identified on the Phoenix chart as Location #1, also known as the Balderston Debris Field.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:59:50 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2012, 07:45:05 AM »

Gentlemen---
I've sat back a watched and listen to this for a while. We can take all the pictures we want, debate the material of the rope, cable, or whatever it is the we want. Makes fun reading. BUT------its all speculation. Hindsight is 20/20, but would it not have been more prudent to have brought back a piece of this cable for examination? The manipulator on the ROV "could have" done that, and pulled on it. Maybe it would have come loose. Maybe not. Maybe it was ATTACHED to something larger. Maybe not. By having it, we could know FOR SURE whether is steel, stainless, nylon, or polyester, or whatever. This debate is going to be never-ending, until we actually have a piece of it.

Just like other 'things' we see in the videos. Landing gear, instruments, bones (?) ETC. Its all a matter of debate until you have it in your hands, and can examine it. Which leads me back to the expedition that was, and the one that could have been. Sorry Ric, but I sure wish that Wolfgang had been able to see some of this stuff and tried to recover something. Granted, alot of great info was brought home, but its just opened up another series of debates, that isnt getting Tighar any closer to the end result.
So another $2.2 to 2.8 million is needed for a recovery expedition. Hum I dont know.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2012, 07:54:52 AM »

If we had seen anything at the time that we thought was worth further investigation we would have done so.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2012, 08:06:58 AM »

I saw that Ric. You reported that during the expedition.
Thanks

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »

So that would seem to present three possibilities:
1. There is stuff there that we didn't notice at the time. (That's why we're reviewing the HD video.)
2. There is stuff there but we weren't looking in the right place.
3. There is nothing there.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »

Ric---I think its a combination of all of the about. its a big task, larger than I realize. You know, because you have been there.
I was a little puzzled though, on the ROV. I thought that Tighar was using the Remora 6000 Rov.
tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »

Hi All

Ric or Tim

May i ask why the object in image an surrounding area has not been subject to discussion ?

Although poor picture quality the shape of the object is clearly visible to me anyway

Anyway's Merry Christmas All
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »

May i ask why the object in image an surrounding area has not been subject to discussion ?

By the date and time stamp this would appear to be a picture near the Norwich City. It is not clear enough to see what the arm is trying to grab.

Merry Christmas to you, Richie
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »

I thought that Tighar was using the Remora 6000 Rov.
The search contractor, Phoenix International, decided not to use it's own Remora 6000 ROV because the only place it could be deployed from KOK was over the stern which would put the tether too close to ship's propellers.  Instead, they subcontracted with Submersible Systems Inc. (SSI) who brought their TRV-M ROV which could be deployed from KOK's starboard side just aft of amidship.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »

Hum----

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »

Two more items seen in the 2012 HD video that were originally identified in the 2010 HD video:

(1) the second landing gear (possibly the Bevington Object), and
   (2) the right wingtip, sporting the squiggle on the trailing edge
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »

A spare tail wheel and tire was mentioned as part of the Luke Field inventory (Item #45). This has not been found in the 2010 HD video.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »

I've put the Standard Definition footage of the Possible Rope video up on YouTube.
The Standard Definition (SD) camera was being used to "fly" the ROV and investigate objects. The High Definition (HD) camera was pointed in a slightly different direction and so did not always see everything the Standard Def camera was seeing. Consequently, the SD video of the Possible Rope provides a better view, although with poorer resolution. It also reveals more objects that don't appear in the HD version.
Enjoy.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »

Hi All

I believe were looking at possible Norwich City debris in these video's, May not even be ship wreckage to that matter

What i have found, is most of it is man made debris  ???

But from what ? Am not even sure i Believe what am seeing  :o

Thank's Richie

Will attach a couple images when am sure am not imaging things   :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org