Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Niku VIII Funding  (Read 210857 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Niku VIII Funding
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »

An unexpected benefit of an effort like this is the way it puts human character on display.
- I have seen rich and powerful people make generous public pledges and then disappear.
- I have seen people who have an awful lot to say but nothing much to contribute.
- I have seen people who relegate much of their disposable income to supporting TIGHAR rather than to supporting their favorite pastime. To them I am especially grateful.
- I have seen people who struggle to make ends meet find some way to send a donation, however small.  Those people have a special place in my heart.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »

Thank you for clarifying. Im not always the best judge of internet language...that and Im in a grumpy mood today for unrelated issues. I apologize.

No blood, no foul.  :)

I apologize for not writing a better post. 

All the best!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »

Id fit in with the crabs nicely. Maybe I can be a translator on a future expedition.   ;D

-Krystal "Crab Whisperer" McGinty

Brad Mackey

• T1
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2015, 07:13:49 PM »

I'm in for 25 bucks.  Who's next?

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »

$25 it is... sending now.

Edit:
I decided to purchase an awesome TIGHAR baseball cap instead @ $35.  I'm hoping a portion of this will go towards the expedition...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:34:19 PM by Greg Ladjimi »

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »

...that and Im in a grumpy mood today for unrelated issues.

I'm responding to Krystal's grumpiness today by donating $25, per instructions.

;D

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:15 PM »

...that and Im in a grumpy mood today for unrelated issues.

I'm responding to Krystal's grumpiness today by donating $25, per instructions.

;D

This makes me less grumpy. Thank you!

Krystal "Her Royal Crabbiness" McGinty

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »

Ric,

I was just wondering about the planning for Niku VIII.  Some of the questions/contingency possibilities are:

Questions/Contingencies

•   What kind of and timing is there between Niku on-site communications with our TIGHAR web site here in the U.S.?

•   Is it possible to extend the on-site expedition if we hit the “mother lode”?  At what cost?

•   Are we prepared to publish real time results of the expedition and at the same time seriously/vigorously solicit additional funding as the project is on going?

•   Do we (TIGHAR)  have any additional resources – such as an underwater grabber – on standby if the funding can be secured immediately (see the above funding question) and dispatched to Niku?

•   Has there been any consideration been given to the idea of passenger transfer between the “cruise line” and the “research vessel” (with appropriate monetary compensation i.e. additional funding) coming from those who want to be in on the hands-on discovery?  i. e. additional funding coming from those who want to be in on the hands-on discovery may be willing to contribute more if the “mother lode” is found and they want to become more involved.

Bottom line to this inquiry is:

If the Niku VIII is successful in locating the L-10 there is going to be an expediential increase in “what can we do next” and people are going to want to be personally involved.  Are we prepared for such an eventually?

Ted Campbell

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »

I was wondering some of the same things myself. Obviously being out in the middle of the ocean a thousand miles from nothing isn't the most ideal setting to be posting "live tweets" but I was curious how, if at all, they will keep those who will be back here gnawing their fingernails up to their elbows in anticipation updated during the expedition, particularly if the "ah-hah!" piece of the puzzle is found.

john a delsing

• T2
  • Minnesota Johnny D.
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2015, 10:49:32 PM »

I just bought a cap, hope it helps. I be wearing it for the next few weeks,,,,,  yes even to bed.  Gods speed Ric and company
The Earth is Full

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »

I just bought a cap, hope it helps. I be wearing it for the next few weeks,,,,,  yes even to bed.  Gods speed Ric and company

Pictures or it didn't happen. ;)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2015, 04:20:23 AM »

Ric,

I'm not Ric, but while we wait for him to check in, I can answer some questions.

•   What kind of and timing is there between Niku on-site communications with our TIGHAR web site here in the U.S.?

In the past, Ric has filed daily updates by satellite phone to Pat, and Pat has turned those into narratives on the website.  So, for example, she has produced the "Land Team Briefing" for starters.

•   Is it possible to extend the on-site expedition if we hit the “mother lode”?  At what cost?

Ric has answered this before.  He said that if it is possible to pick up material, they would ask permission before trying to collect it.  The ROV is not capable of securing large pieces of wreckage.

•   Are we prepared to publish real time results of the expedition and at the same time seriously/vigorously solicit additional funding as the project is on going?

Ric told us that this expedition is not being subsidized by a television network because TIGHAR wants to keep the rights to the film.  My guess is that this means that we will not see "real time results," but will only get verbal updates as we have in the past.

If the Niku VIII is successful in locating the L-10 there is going to be an expediential increase in “what can we do next” and people are going to want to be personally involved.  Are we prepared for such an eventually?

TIGHAR is prepared to undertake more expeditions to Niku in a general sense.

I can't imagine Ric trying to organize one while he is on one.

Having read all of the previous reports from all of TIGHAR's expeditions, I don't have the sense that there is a lot of free time or excess energy during the expedition itself.  They work hard and need to rest deeply. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16:51 AM »

Marty has it right.

•   What kind of and timing is there between Niku on-site communications with our TIGHAR web site here in the U.S.?

As in the past, each day at I will make an early morning (mid-day here) verbal report to Pat via satellite phone about what we did the previous day.  She will write up a "Daily" report and post it on the TIGHAR website later that afternoon.

•   Is it possible to extend the on-site expedition if we hit the “mother lode”?  At what cost?

No.  Nai'a has to be back in Fiji on July 1st to prepare for its next charter.

•   Are we prepared to publish real time results of the expedition and at the same time seriously/vigorously solicit additional funding as the project is on going?

Pat is not bashful about asking for contributions.

•   Do we (TIGHAR)  have any additional resources – such as an underwater grabber – on standby if the funding can be secured immediately (see the above funding question) and dispatched to Niku?

The ROV has an grabber capable of retrieving small items. We wouldn't o more than that even if we had the capability.  Nothing is going to get dispatched to Niku.

•   Has there been any consideration been given to the idea of passenger transfer between the “cruise line” and the “research vessel” (with appropriate monetary compensation i.e. additional funding) coming from those who want to be in on the hands-on discovery?  i. e. additional funding coming from those who want to be in on the hands-on discovery may be willing to contribute more if the “mother lode” is found and they want to become more involved.

The tourist ship Fiji Princess will arrive a day and a half before we have too leave Niku.  They'll stay on for a couple more days after we leave.  They'll do some scouting under the supervision of the TIGHAR staff aboard Fiji Princess.   Stop thinking in terms of a "mother lode"  and being in on a "hands-on discovery."  If we're lucky we'll find more clues to add to our preponderance of evidence.  If we're REALLY lucky we'll find a big chunk of the airplane or some other artifact that can be linked directly to AE or FN.

If we are so fortunate as to encounter the a substantial body of wreckage underwater we will carefully document its position and condition so that we can return with the appropriate equipment and conservation materials to effect a responsible archaeological recovery.  Yes, there is likely to be a great deal of Hoorah which we will deal with as best we can.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »

Since the mention of packing and shipping provisions and tools has come up in this and other threads, I'd bet if each member of the shore party were sporting a pair of these, it might give the local critters pause to give us a wide berth!   :D ;D :D

Best wishes to our intrepid shore, scuba, and sonar/ROV teams!  Only a few short weeks remain!  Every dollar helps, donate now!
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »

I'm in for your $25, Krystal, but Ric it will have to be after the 1st.
Hoping for fair winds for the trip...
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org