Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Niku VIII Funding  (Read 210892 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Niku VIII Funding
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »

How short are we Ric?  I may be able to help a little more.

This budget continues to be a moving target. Just when I thought we had everything covered, the Republic of Kiribati has thrown us a $5,000 curve ball.  We have always been required to bring along a Kiribati "observer" - a Customs and Immigration officer who clears us into Kiribati when we arrive at Nikumaroro and hand-endorses our passports "Port of Nikumaroro."  Now, we still have to bring along an "observer" but  - new rule - the clearance into Kiribati will have to be done before we depart Fiji by five officials who will travel to Fiji from Tarawa.  There are only two round trip flights per week from Tarawa to Fiji so we have to pay not only for the bureaucrats' airfare but also for three nights in a hotel.  All in all it will be another $5,000.  Our option is to clear into and out of Kiribati by traveling to Niku via Kanton Island, their official port of entry for the Phoenix Group -  but that would cost us four days at $11,000/day. We're stuck. We'll just have to somehow raise the money.  Anything you can do will be much appreciated.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »

Sounds like a junket to to have 5 officials come to Fiji.  Each one is going to check in 3 of us?  Absurd.

Aren't there already Kiribati reps in Fiji?  I thought they were in the process of moving people there due to sea level rise.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/kiribati/9127576/Entire-nation-of-Kiribati-to-be-relocated-over-rising-sea-level-threat.html

Might there be a way to mitigate this need through contacts at the State Dept?

Sigh

amck

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »

Ric,

Let’s see if we can negotiate our way out of this latest SNAFU.

In return for the government dropping its last minuet elevated on-site personal demands we would be agreeable to the historic government oversight of this project and in return we would be agreeable to offer the government, that if the Niku VIII project is successful i.e. we find the Electra, the uncontested “salvage rights” to the Electra basis the lat/long, depth, etc. data supplied by TIGHAR.

In return TIGHAR gets sole possession of all photographic/video documents of the search and discovery of the where abouts of AE without any further obligation to the government.  AND it would be expected if any physical evidence of the Electra is recovered by the government and/or its contractors TIGHAR shall receive a token artifact there from.  AND  TIGHAR retains the sole rights of all, future books, movies, television documentaries, etc. concerning the search and discovery for the lost flight of Amelia Earhart.

The point is; TIGHAR will have proven her point, TIGHAR will be relieved of the cost of recovery, TIGHAR would have a symbolic piece of the Electra to add to the artifact library already secured and TIGHAR would not incur the cost and expense of preserving and exhibiting the Electra proper.

Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2015, 11:52:33 AM »

Sounds like a junket to to have 5 officials come to Fiji.  Each one is going to check in 3 of us?  Absurd.

The less I say about this publicly the better.

The State Dept. doesn't have any clout with Kiribati because the U.S. doesn't do anything for Kiribati.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:05 AM »

Let’s see if we can negotiate our way out of this latest SNAFU.

TIGHAR has an Antiquities Management Agreement with Kiribati that already addresses the issues you raise.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »

Another one of Niku's curve ball specials, it seems. I'm not in the least surprised, but I remain optimistic that everything will come together. Somehow.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2015, 09:19:33 PM »

Ric,

Will you explain the details of the agreement?
Ted

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »

Ric,

Will you explain the details of the agreement?
Ted

Knowing that Ric is deep into preparations for the team to depart on Niku VIII, I went digging back into the archives of the Forum looking to see what he's said about the agreement before.

Last September, in answer to a similar request for information about TIGHAR's agreement with Kiribati, he made this post about the operative parts of the agreement.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2015, 07:34:47 AM »

Ric and team, just slid in with a small donation and an early Researcher renewal - not much but trusting that in a small way it will help.  Fair winds and following seas, and good hunting! v/r JB
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »

Well this was not something I wanted to come back to see. :(  I have one more paycheck before the expedition departs. Ill do what I can. We have thousands of followers between this forum and facebook. If even half of us contributed just $25 each we could make this up with no problem.  I can cut something out to make up $25. Anyone with me?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »

Well this was not something I wanted to come back to see. :(  I have one more paycheck before the expedition departs. Ill do what I can. We have thousands of followers between this forum and facebook. If even half of us contributed just $25 each we could make this up with no problem.  I can cut something out to make up $25. Anyone with me?

OK.

This is a link to the page for donations to the Earhart Project.

When you get there, this is what the "Donate" button looks like:

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:44 PM »

I am aware of where the donate button is and what it looks like. I have used it many times.  I was simply pointing out to anyone who may be reading that it seems like a lot of money in bulk but if everyone contributed the seemingly menial amount of $25, given the large following, the funds could be raised very quickly.  But I appreciate your response.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »

...maybe the good father was simply joining in on your plea so as to make it easier for others you've pled to, so that they might follow your lead, Krystal...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »

I am aware of where the donate button is and what it looks like. I have used it many times.  I was simply pointing out to anyone who may be reading that it seems like a lot of money in bulk but if everyone contributed the seemingly menial amount of $25, given the large following, the funds could be raised very quickly.  But I appreciate your response.

I contributed $25, per your request.

I like to put links into my posts to aid readers with site navigation.

I'm sorry for giving you the impression that you did not know where to go to donate.

I intended the link and the image for others.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »

Thank you for clarifying. Im not always the best judge of internet language...that and Im in a grumpy mood today for unrelated issues. I apologize.

When my next paycheck hits, Im sending $50,  $25 from me and $25 from my daughter. (TIGHAR actually sent her a membership card...talk about a happy little girl!)   Id send it now but the electric company wouldn't like me very much.   
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org