Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283820 times)

Gary LaPook

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #645 on: February 02, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »

Don
Nope, never dove anywhere except on Lake Michigan and in quarries around the Chicago area.  No coral, and yes sometimes nature did present things in straight lines, circles and other geometrical shapes, but not very often.  Those are the things that I scsn for in the video snd the stills as an indication that something man-made is there.
I remember going through holes we cut in the ice in Racine quarry but after I discovered the Caribbean I never went in cold water again, that is until my daughter decided to take up diving here in California and she insisted that I go with her. When you are down a hundred feet off of San Diego and your wet suit is squeezed flat, it is COLD-D-D-D-D! Fortunately, the dive boats here have hot tubs so that you can bring your body up to normal temperature after you surface. I've spent quite a lot of time on coral reefs in the South Pacific and in the Caribbean so these pictures are interesting.

gl

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #646 on: February 02, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »

gary is that a guitar string by any chance  ???
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »

No, it's leader wire used for fishing, kinda like the natives might have been using. If you think it is too thin then cut yourself a piece of 7x19 wire rope, it naturally coils itself up too.

gl
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:03:33 PM by Gary LaPook »

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »

No Gary! Its not thick enough because the weave of your carpet gives scale  ;)
But there is nothing in Richie's picture to give "scale" so the wires might be the same diameter.

gl
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:30:59 PM by Gary LaPook »

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #649 on: February 02, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »

Don,   Didn't really intend it as a correction. Hit "post" before I read yours which is certainly close enough for govt work. It's just one of the multitude of tidbidts I had to learn on my way to Divemaster. Again, the PADI way. I don't disagree with you that coral is incredibly slow growing and doesn't like metal too well. I've seen some steel shipwrecks with coral taking hold and posted a picture of one on here that was sunk in 1985. It seems that if there is enough rust or a flat area to accumulate sediment that sea life will eventually attach and start to grow there. With the stuff in the video, I'm of the opinion (my own) that IF a plane were to slide down the reef after being washed off the flat it MIGHT cause a fair amount of sediment and chunks of stuff to come alng behind it and cover it up somewhat. That might account for some encrustation. Not all that encrusts objects is coral. There are a lot of things in the ocean that can concrete around objects if given enough time and the right conditions. Also, keep in mind that like anywhere on land, different conditions effect how things grow as well as how they decay. Wrecks in the north Atlantic decay and look a lot different than those in the Carribean. Oh, and Gary, I help teach in mid-Atlantic quarries, that's what the drysuit is for. Well worth the 2k if you spend much time in less than warm waters.  LTM-  John

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

Don,   Didn't really intend it as a correction. Hit "post" before I read yours which is certainly close enough for govt work. It's just one of the multitude of tidbidts I had to learn on my way to Divemaster. Again, the PADI way. I don't disagree with you that coral is incredibly slow growing and doesn't like metal too well. I've seen some steel shipwrecks with coral taking hold and posted a picture of one on here that was sunk in 1985. It seems that if there is enough rust or a flat area to accumulate sediment that sea life will eventually attach and start to grow there. With the stuff in the video, I'm of the opinion (my own) that IF a plane were to slide down the reef after being washed off the flat it MIGHT cause a fair amount of sediment and chunks of stuff to come alng behind it and cover it up somewhat. That might account for some encrustation. Not all that encrusts objects is coral. There are a lot of things in the ocean that can concrete around objects if given enough time and the right conditions. Also, keep in mind that like anywhere on land, different conditions effect how things grow as well as how they decay. Wrecks in the north Atlantic decay and look a lot different than those in the Carribean. Oh, and Gary, I help teach in mid-Atlantic quarries, that's what the drysuit is for. Well worth the 2k if you spend much time in less than warm waters.  LTM-  John
In the olden days they didn't have dry suits.

gl

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #651 on: February 02, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »

if u watch video when the rov is moveing about, in some parts wen it goes very close to reef bed u see shadow of rov in refelection off reef bed, but in rest of it u dont so its fair to say that its at a distance to accept some of the pieces in stills cud be part of a man made object

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #652 on: February 02, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »

Some more pics of the RDF antenna 'coral outcrop' Notice the straight lines/oblong shape in the first and the thin circular shape with holes in the second. In the third notice the warning message on the RDF antenna, no it won't harm you but, the maintenance guys love to have something to grab onto when working on planes, it stops them falling off of them. The RDF antenna is fragile, you will break it if you use it as a climbing aid. Now, how's it going to stand up to a prolonged pounding on a reef?

OMG!  OMG! OMG! I think I have found the remnants of Earhart's loop antenna!

It looks just like Richie's picture.

gl

See, about 2 inches below where the wires cross, can you see the Roman head riding a 6 legged fly? it's at about your eye level, can you see it?
I think there's a special forum on the Tighar site for this sort of joviality so, let's keep it where it belongs. ;D
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #653 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »

No, it's leader wire used for fishing, kinda like the natives might have been using. If you think it is too thin then cut yourself a piece of 7x19 wire rope, it naturally coils itself up too.

gl
Available from all good fishing tackle stores on gardner Island, honestly.
This must be the place

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #654 on: February 02, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »

gl

Yes, most likely it was. This is common stuff and has been around forever. Gardner Island is not the moon, people lived there, harvested copra, fished, grew kitchen crops, repaired their boats, etc. Goods were brought in to be sold to the inhabitants, most likely at a "Chinese store," a general store stocking everything needed by the island people including fishing equipment. I get the feeling that some think that Gardner was "the land that time forgot" with primitive natives building stockades to keep out the dinosaurs and King Kong. In fact, it was set up as a money making proposition, people were imported to work there growing coconuts, harvesting them and drying the meat to make copra. Then the schooner would come, buy the copra and, guess what, the workers would get paid for their labors. Where do you think they spent their money? What do you think they purchased? The local store stocked everything that was useful to islanders, pots, pans, bowls, shovels, wheel barrows, nails, hammers, saws, canned food, fish hooks, fishing leader wire, etc, and these goods were brought in on the schooner. I wouldn't be at all surprised, based on what I have seen in many "Chinese stores," that the Gardner store even had some goods that would make good presents for the wife, such as a compact with a mirror, and I'll bet that bits of aluminum, harvested from American  bases, also ended up on the store's shelves.

gl
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:10:39 PM by Gary LaPook »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #655 on: February 02, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »

the video resolution is 654-480

frame rate: 29.970628
video vp8 (VP80)

so its fair to say the video footage is deceiving due to resolution used  :)

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #656 on: February 02, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »

I'm back to doing only warm water, no wet suit needed in 84° F water around Bora Bora.

gl
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:12:34 PM by Gary LaPook »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #657 on: February 02, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »

am lost jeff  ;) were do the wires cross or am i being niaive, if u mean the 2 wires between 12 o clock an 9 o clock well the bottom wire is the shadow of top wire i know because i thought same but after hours of researching it turned out  a big X

if not my bad, my apologies in advance  ;D

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #658 on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »

yer i read there was a Netto on there as well, an if memory serves right the natives were useing airplane wire to fish  :D

gl

Yes, most likely it was. This is common stuff and has been around forever. Gardner Island is not the moon, people lived there, harvested copra, fished, grew kitchen crops, repaired their boats, etc. Goods were brought in to be sold to the inhabitants, most likely at a "Chinese store," a general store stocking everything needed by the island people including fishing equipment.

gl

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #659 on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »

yer there was a Netto on there as well, but if memory serves me right weren't the natives using airplane wire to fish ? sorta makes sense now, giving its not as coralised as rest ov reef bed

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org