Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1274530 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Still from ROV video
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »

Has anyone got any ideas as to what this is?
Another image is further down in this post
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:00:51 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »

Looks like a rope of some kind to my decidedly untrained eye.

We have to remember that Niku was an inhabited island from 1939 to 1963.

It is visited routinely by both official and unofficial expeditions (including TIGHAR's, of course).

Many things could get dropped or thrown overboard by all kinds of boats near the reef.

The picture shows that there are "things down there" that might be worth looking at.  We don't know the depth of this item, nor its size or length or composition. 

I imagine that the Electra was equipped with tie-down ropes because I think I've seen other airplanes similarly equipped.  I don't suppose that we can immediately rule out any rope as "not from the Electra," unless we can tell by visual inspection that it is too old or too modern.

From this standpoint, "what it is" is a reason to go do some more looking.   8)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »

Jeff, is this the item you were describing in the other thread or something new?

Initial thoughts are just a tangle of rope/wire, like discarded shoe laces (but not actual shoe laces). However it also reminds me of something organic that I have seen on TV or in a book to do with coral reefs.  I'll get my brain working on it overnight and see if anything gets shaken from my deminishing grey matter.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »

Jeff, is this the item you were describing in the other thread or something new?

Initial thoughts are just a tangle of rope/wire, like discarded shoe laces (but not actual shoe laces). However it also reminds me of something organic that I have seen on TV or in a book to do with coral reefs.  I'll get my brain working on it overnight and see if anything gets shaken from my deminishing grey matter.

Chris, it's not the black squiggly thing that I want you to look at. It's what it is wrapped around, under and in that interests me. Take a closer look you will see a tube heading north from the black squiggly thing which divides into two forks. I have no idea what the black squiggly thing is but it's what it is caught up in that interests me. Yes it's the same object that I mentioned in the wire and rope video. You have to step through that part of the video one second at a time, I think the old phrase was one frame at a time.

Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »

Here's a picture from the Tighar site showing a very similar shape as to the one with the black squiggly stuff wrapped around it.
This must be the place

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »

You don't s'pose? Is that a landing gear fork?

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »

Here's a picture from the Tighar site showing a very similar shape as to the one with the black squiggly stuff wrapped around it.

Sorry Jeff. I can't visualize it. Any way to outline it for clarity? 
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Phil T Martin

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »

Could it be Nessie in her final resting place???

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 05:38:35 AM »

Irv, here's the outline of whatever it is. I'll try to enhance the image when I get back to work 2moro.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »

You don't s'pose? Is that a landing gear fork?

Well if it isn't Alfred it could certainly be used as one  :)
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 06:06:31 AM »

Looks like a rope of some kind to my decidedly untrained eye.

We have to remember that Niku was an inhabited island from 1939 to 1963.

It is visited routinely by both official and unofficial expeditions (including TIGHAR's, of course).

Many things could get dropped or thrown overboard by all kinds of boats near the reef.

The picture shows that there are "things down there" that might be worth looking at.  We don't know the depth of this item, nor its size or length or composition. 

I imagine that the Electra was equipped with tie-down ropes because I think I've seen other airplanes similarly equipped.  I don't suppose that we can immediately rule out any rope as "not from the Electra," unless we can tell by visual inspection that it is too old or too modern.

From this standpoint, "what it is" is a reason to go do some more looking.   8)

Marty, the ROV video, and its title 'wire and rope' invites the viewers attention to focus on, well, wire and rope. Of course wire and rope could come from numerous sources and, they look very impressive which of course they must be to survive 75 years under the sea.
The excersise in analysing the video was to not be distracted by wire and rope and, use the footage as a valuable tool into exploring the suspected wreckage site. So looking at everything else except the wire and rope led to the reef shelf with the object lying on it. Obviously there is 75 years worth of coral residue sitting on top of it but, the outline looks promising. Of course it could be something quite innocent like a new type of ships anchor, part of a UFO or something dumped by the loran team, who knows.
There are other objects playing supporting roles to the wire and rope in the video which I hope to be able to enhance in the future. Looking outside the box is just as valuable as thinking outside it. Shame the GPS coordinates for this location are not available.
Jeff
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:14:39 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 06:28:56 AM »

Irv, here's the outline of whatever it is. I'll try to enhance the image when I get back to work 2moro.

Thanks Jeff. Now it's leaping off the page. That's very interesting.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 06:30:46 AM »

Could it be Nessie in her final resting place???

Possibly Phil, this footage is different to the nessie photograph. It was recent, it was where the wreckage was expected to be, it is caught on 21st century video instead of a 1930's camera. Pity the ROV operator missed it but I suspect the current was making life difficult for them and, we wouldn't want them to lose an expensive ROV. So close yet so far.
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »

Thanks Jeff. Now it's leaping off the page. That's very interesting.

Thanks Irv, Its easy to get distracted by the black squiggly thing, whatever that is. It's the object that its trapped under that is of interest. I could have a guess as to what it is as some people have already. Whatever it is it looks substantial and heavy. We'll see. The object is lying on a reef shelf and is only prevented from sliding further down the reef slope by lumps of coral to the left of it and probably its weight.

Jeff
This must be the place

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 07:31:56 AM »

Marty, the ROV video, and its title 'wire and rope' invites the viewers attention to focus on, well, wire and rope. Of course wire and rope could come from numerous sources and, they look very impressive which of course they must be to survive 75 years under the sea.

What I'm trying to suggest is that we don't know for sure whether the things pictured in the video are 75 years old.

They could be from some yacht that visited any time in the last decade.

Or tuna trawler (see this post for a list of types of visitors to Niku).

Looking outside the box is just as valuable as thinking outside it.

That's true if and only if the thing you seek is outside the box.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org