Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1282698 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #450 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »

Just to give everyone a rough idea of what we have down there here's a couple of images. Now dump 75 years worth of sediment/coral residue/silt over it and it becomes a different ball game altogether...
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #451 on: January 26, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »

Chris
No question in my mind that they are man-made and I think that the circular object is also.  Nature hardly ever makes things with straight edges or circles.  Except maybe Crop Circles  LOL.

I don't want to try and put names to peices but it does look like a debries field of some discription.  Going with the TIGHAR graphic this is the lighter stuff, the heavy stuff is further down the slope.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #452 on: January 26, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »

and the bottom is way down there----
Anyone see the thing about the strange submerged objects in the Baltic Sea? They have a submersible-----------
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #453 on: January 26, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »

there is too much stuff down there, makeing a catalogue of stuff an wen my printer decides to work gunna print some pics to stitch together  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #454 on: January 26, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

does anyone know if the electra had a chain on the door or pilot hatch to stop it swinging wide open ?

Member# 416

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #455 on: January 26, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

and the bottom is way down there----
Anyone see the thing about the strange submerged objects in the Baltic Sea? They have a submersible-----------
Tom

Yes but if the 'possible' debrise field can be ID'd then that makes another deeper search more viable?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #456 on: January 26, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »

dont know whether chain is part of hatch or it has fell on it  :-\

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #457 on: January 26, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »

dont know what sum of them things u mentioned are, only been on 2 planes in my life never again, always coach or cruise now, air crash investigators, are too advanced to have chains holding stuff together  ;D 

Member# 416

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #458 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »

dont know what sum of them things u mentioned are, only been on 2 planes in my life never again, always coach or cruise now, air crash investigators, are too advanced to have chains holding stuff together  ;D

'Airplane Anatomy 101' might be a good idea then - airplanes are full of chains, sprockets, gears, torque rods, bellcranks, bearings of all sorts, rod ends, cables of various sizes and types, sheet metal of various thicknesses, construction assembly and size, wiring, weldments, machinings, appliances like antennas and boxes, etc. 

Much of that you can glean as you have here - from the historic pictures; but if you really want to play 'what's that rock' then you need to dig deep and consider that you may be looking at a very obscure construction detail or component you hadn't noticed or thought of before.  That's where a thorough knowledge of what's in the guts of an airplane may help here.  Jeff Hayden has offered up a few examples of crumpled metal stuff - that's the approach I'm speaking of - but much, much more.

A 'navigator's stool' was mentioned above - how about a toilet seat?  Do you know what the 'honeybucket' looked like in NR16020?  A seat belt buckle?  An emergency gear handle?  A seat frame bracket?  A propeller counterweight or pitch change dome?  How about a gascolator?  Could you tell such a thing from it's marine counterpart, i.e. consider that if found you might be looking at something tossed from a boat?

It occurs to me that TIGHAR is well into all that - it's part of how you sort out possible targets from chaff, and even then you won't know until you can definitively identify a part. 

As I noticed before, it is going to be a long, hard search.

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #459 on: January 26, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »

'Airplane Anatomy 101' might be a good idea then - airplanes are full of chains, sprockets, gears, torque rods, bellcranks, bearings of all sorts, rod ends, cables of various sizes and types, sheet metal of various thicknesses, construction assembly and size, wiring, weldments, machinings, appliances like antennas and boxes, etc. 

Much of that you can glean as you have here - from the historic pictures; but if you really want to play 'what's that rock' then you need to dig deep and consider that you may be looking at a very obscure construction detail or component you hadn't noticed or thought of before.  That's where a thorough knowledge of what's in the guts of an airplane may help here.  Jeff Hayden has offered up a few examples of crumpled metal stuff - that's the approach I'm speaking of - but much, much more.

A 'navigator's stool' was mentioned above - how about a toilet seat?  Do you know what the 'honeybucket' looked like in NR16020?  A seat belt buckle?  An emergency gear handle?  A seat frame bracket?  A propeller counterweight or pitch change dome?  How about a gascolator?  Could you tell such a thing from it's marine counterpart, i.e. consider that if found you might be looking at something tossed from a boat?

It occurs to me that TIGHAR is well into all that - it's part of how you sort out possible targets from chaff, and even then you won't know until you can definitively identify a part. 

As I noticed before, it is going to be a long, hard search.

LTM -

A bit like doing a jigsaw without the picture Jeff

Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #460 on: January 26, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »

does anyone know if the electra had a chain on the door or pilot hatch to stop it swinging wide open ?

Post 428 has pictures of door with something hanging on it, to pull it shut I guess. Where about in the debris did you find it Richie? Anywhere near the 'door' (for want of a better name) shape.
Jeff
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #461 on: January 26, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »

in attachment hinge bar an hook is 4 o clock ov arrow an chain

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #462 on: January 26, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »

actully it between chain an rope just look to right of chain an on the rock u will see lighter coral in T shape

if u invert pic it looks like a skeleton  :)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #463 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »

skeleton key that is

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #464 on: January 27, 2012, 04:37:40 AM »

jeff we deserve a pat on the back for all our hard work in locateing the electra

i think i can say with 100% confidence i have located Electra in what looks to be recognizable condition the front anyway  :) :D ;D

i just need to find a program that can enhance picture quality as am struggleing to get a clear image of it, any ideas ?

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org