Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1284163 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #390 on: January 23, 2012, 06:05:18 PM »

look at the snapped end of tail the way it jaggers in, thats were our hatch fits  :D
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #391 on: January 23, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »

Also notice how thin this shiny silver coloured material is?

were ur red lines are pointing to,  thats were the wheel is an the shiny stuff is the undercariage that wheel sits in when in flight  :o
The red lines point to the edge of the hatch/door you found Richie. It is constructed in two skins of alloy over an alloy frame, one outer skin, one inner skin. It's very thin, shiny, silver coloured which makes it stand out from the surrounding coral. Where the rope has chaffed against the edge it's worn away the coral exposing the brightwork beneath.
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #392 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »

Possible rudder/tailfin

Yellow = outline
Yellow again = straight row of rivets/holes
Blue = outline of damaged area containing the bright shiny silver coloured material (will post a still of this area later)
Notice also material peeling away at the bottom of the object

Which could have once been attached to the side of this oblong shaped object, red line side. I have no idea what the thing in the blue circled area is, any guesses?
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »

jeff what we thought was a hatch is actully half the rear mono wing an that wheel is the tail wheel in the middle of them  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »

jeff what we thought was a hatch is actully half the rear mono wing an that wheel is the tail wheel in the middle of them  :)

I am still convinced you were right first time. Take a look at this door and, there's another in the cockpit... See the curvature and the latching/locking system plus the hinges. Anything held onto the aircraft with just hinges would be the first thing to come adrift. Also notice the shape of the handles
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:38:08 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #395 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »

could be  :)

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #396 on: January 23, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »

Possible rudder/tailfin

Yellow = outline
Yellow again = straight row of rivets/holes
Blue = outline of damaged area containing the bright shiny silver coloured material (will post a still of this area later)
Notice also material peeling away at the bottom of the object

Which could have once been attached to the side of this oblong shaped object, red line side. I have no idea what the thing in the blue circled area is, any guesses?

I don't know, it looks like the picture from my last colonoscopy.

https://tighar.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=571.0;attach=1035

gl
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:44:56 AM by Gary LaPook »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #397 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »

I have managed to be able to extend the outline of this object by enhancing the shiny, silver coloured metalwork (with accompanying holes)
If that looks like part of your colon Gary then, don't let your health insurance company find out, they will triple your premiums  ;D
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #398 on: January 24, 2012, 07:15:54 AM »

Watched a documentry on the WW2 wrecks at Truuk Lagoon and what struck me was that all of the planes, trucks and other wheeled vehicles all had complete wheels on them.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #399 on: January 24, 2012, 08:05:03 AM »

Watched a documentry on the WW2 wrecks at Truuk Lagoon and what struck me was that all of the planes, trucks and other wheeled vehicles all had complete wheels on them.

I have seen that documentary too Chris. Everything down there is so well preserved it's amazing! If only AE and FN had put the electra into the lagoon at Niku we would all be able to see how well the wreck was preserved. The choice of the reef landing was theirs to make and, in hindsight it made it virtually impossible to find the plane. Check out the wreck of the SS Norwich City, same place, same outcome, devastation only worse for a lightweight plane compared to a few thousand ton steel plate ship.
Still, think positive. We are at stage 2 of the 5 stage process of identification.
1. Find debris = done
2. Is debris of aircraft origin = to be confirmed

Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #400 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:31 AM »

Yet more 'unreef like' objects to the right of the red line...?

This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »

I have seen that documentary too Chris. Everything down there is so well preserved it's amazing! If only AE and FN had put the electra into the lagoon at Niku we would all be able to see how well the wreck was preserved. The choice of the reef landing was theirs to make and, in hindsight it made it virtually impossible to find the plane. Check out the wreck of the SS Norwich City, same place, same outcome, devastation only worse for a lightweight plane compared to a few thousand ton steel plate ship.
Still, think positive. We are at stage 2 of the 5 stage process of identification.
1. Find debris = done

Jeff

Guess I was trying to say that unless the action of waves and current have managed to remove it the tyre is likeley to be still on the wheel if it is there.

Agree that you can't compare the lagoon to the reef face.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #402 on: January 24, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »

1. Find debris = done

Jeff

Guess I was trying to say that unless the action of waves and current have managed to remove it the tyre is likeley to be still on the wheel if it is there.

Agree that you can't compare the lagoon to the reef face.

Hope so Chris, that would be a bonus if the tyres were intact and, could be able to read the writing on the sidewalls? Lot of information on tyre sidewalls.

Jeff
This must be the place

Randy Reid

• T1
« Reply #403 on: January 24, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

I'm sorry guys, I just can't see any airplane parts in any of the stills.
It is sort of like looking at clouds and seeing Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse or an Electra.
Richie's research and enhancement of the pictures is interesting though and I hope he keeps looking.

But I think I have a lead on what happened to the bodies:skull ;D

Randy

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »

I'm sorry guys, I just can't see any airplane parts in any of the stills.
It is sort of like looking at clouds and seeing Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse or an Electra.
Richie's research and enhancement of the pictures is interesting though and I hope he keeps looking.

But I think I have a lead on what happened to the bodies:skull ;D

Randy

It's not easy Randy, you won't see anything recognizable as part of a plane down here. You will see bits that used to be aircraft. Some air disasters leave just fragments of wreckage, hardly recognizable as airplane at all. Now imagine 75 years worth of silt, sediment and residue dumped on top of aircraft fragments.
Jeff
This must be the place

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org