Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283283 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #315 on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »

It's not quite Elvis but, have a look here
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »

Here it is without lines. I will get some better stills from this part of the video. I won't say what it could be but I have a rough idea.
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:32:52 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #317 on: January 21, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »

Might the "Loop Antenna and Base" still be attached to the Electra??
That would make it pretty difficult to raise it without breaking it.

I find it amusing that nothing is said about the expense of  expeditions  looking for bones and freckle cream jars and shoe soles, etc.  Maybe the stills from the ROV video ahould be brought to the attention of sonmeone like James Cameron of the TITANIC  effort.  He might be interested in the movie rights to produce a movie entitled EARHART.  It would prolly out gross his other movie.   Just a random thought,
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #318 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »

I thought I could see the remains of a wing spar in the still. So I followed the outline of the remains of the skin until I found the bit that would accompany it all, a control surface ( looking at it end on)
Jeff
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »

funny u point that out jeff because i found this just to the right of ur still
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »

cud it be the pipe that comes from under wing ?

Member# 416

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »

I find it amusing that nothing is said about the expense of  expeditions  looking for bones and freckle cream jars and shoe soles, etc.  Maybe the stills from the ROV video ahould be brought to the attention of sonmeone like James Cameron of the TITANIC  effort.  He might be interested in the movie rights to produce a movie entitled EARHART.  It would prolly out gross his other movie.   Just a random thought,

I happen to have said alot about the scarcity of resources, Harry - consider the context.

It is recognized that the cost of ANY AND ALL operations TIGHAR does on Niku is high. 

Point is, what do you go BACK for?  It takes a compelling case to muster major resources like Dr. Tom King and his crew on land, Seabotics, multiple vessels for ROV work, more crew to support all, etc. -

So if you have a week or two at a time to be on station and limited resources, WHERE DO you focus your precious resources?

The land effort is no different - read Dr. King's comments on that.  They found enough 'fruit' to want to go back and comb some more area, etc.  Also in re-evaluating the big picture, the Aukermaine site may beckon again.

I'm not poo-pooing those who are 'seeing things' here, really, just believing it takes a great deal of analysis to have enough confidence in what may be found in an area to direct resources back there on Niku.  Do you recover ground already looked at last year, or do you move to the next sector?  Or, do you try to make the case to a backer to cover BOTH? 

Ric and the board have got big shoes to fill when it comes to convincing the major supporters to back these things, and I'm sure he and TIGHAR are watching all developments with interest.  I think what you all are excited about is great; I also think it takes many hours of hard analysis to really 'see' what 'may' be there - none of us are magically endowed with seeing through silt, etc. to see what gives 'shape' to what may be nothing more than rock.

---

As an aside, I believe I recall that no ship wreckage was found - and I don't know that much real time was spent surveying that far to the south.  But, if we could get a view or two of ANYTHING from the ship down that slope (maybe none there - maybe all at bottom) maybe we could get a better idea of how the sediment settles and obscures things.  From that the baseline for searching might be enhanced - knowing better 'what to look for', so to speak.

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:44:29 AM by Jeff Neville »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »

also u av to remember wen the electra tumbled down the hill wat ever it banged into on the way down broke free an landed on top of it..

for me it's a learning curve an even thou i get a little smile wen we find somethink i know better

what i do find strange is, on the occasion the rov goes off rope an u see reef walls to left side off these images the wall's are really boring as there just flat slopes also wen u change the gradient on an image if the stuff was just reef slope it would all be same color but its not 

notice in attachment the rope running across what were analyzeing is same colour as reef floor in background now if these objects were posting were just part of the reef everythink in this image would be blue

also notice the metal bar cant tell if its part of the flap above which looks like a roof hatch door or if it's from the object underneath

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #323 on: January 21, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »

this dont mean it the electra i would never claim it to be

but i think it is defo sumthink that dont belong there  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »

I happen to have said alot about the scarcity of resources, Harry - consider the context.

It is recognized that the cost of ANY AND ALL operations TIGHAR does on Niku is high. 

Point is, what do you go BACK for?  It takes a compelling case to muster major resources like Dr. Tom King and his crew on land, Seabotics, multiple vessels for ROV work, more crew to support all, etc. -

So if you have a week or two at a time to be on station and limited resources, WHERE DO you focus your precious resources?

The land effort is no different - read Dr. King's comments on that.  They found enough 'fruit' to want to go back and comb some more area, etc.  Also in re-evaluating the big picture, the Aukermaine site may beckon again.

I'm not poo-pooing those who are 'seeing things' here, really, just believing it takes a great deal of analysis to have enough confidence in what may be found in an area to direct resources back there on Niku.  Do you recover ground already looked at last year, or do you move to the next sector?  Or, do you try to make the case to a backer to cover BOTH? 

Ric and the board have got big shoes to fill when it comes to convincing the major supporters to back these things, and I'm sure he and TIGHAR are watching all developments with interest.  I think what you all are excited about is great; I also think it takes many hours of hard analysis to really 'see' what 'may' be there - none of us are magically endowed with seeing through silt, etc. to see what gives 'shape' to what may be nothing more than rock.

---

As an aside, I believe I recall that no ship wreckage was found - and I don't know that much real time was spent surveying that far to the south.  But, if we could get a view or two of ANYTHING from the ship down that slope (maybe none there - maybe all at bottom) maybe we could get a better idea of how the sediment settles and obscures things.  From that the baseline for searching might be enhanced - knowing better 'what to look for', so to speak.

LTM -

well said Jeff. I wonder if a potential film backer WOULD be interested, does steven Spielberg know of the search? ;)
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »

also u av to remember wen the electra tumbled down the hill wat ever it banged into on the way down broke free an landed on top of it..

for me it's a learning curve an even thou i get a little smile wen we find somethink i know better

what i do find strange is, on the occasion the rov goes off rope an u see reef walls to left side off these images the wall's are really boring as there just flat slopes also wen u change the gradient on an image if the stuff was just reef slope it would all be same color but its not 

notice in attachment the rope running across what were analyzeing is same colour as reef floor in background now if these objects were posting were just part of the reef everythink in this image would be blue

also notice the metal bar cant tell if its part of the flap above which looks like a roof hatch door or if it's from the object underneath

Keep hunting Richie! Don't put too much faith into inverted images though, it's very deceptive. I'm getting better images from that other video you posted, hardly need any enhancing at all. Good point about looking at the background in the video, that's where things will be. Also keep an eye out for where the ROV prop wash clears away the silt and sediment, that stuff is hiding a lot from us. Sent e-mail to friend who restores aircraft at Boscombe Down as a hobby now (retired airframe fitter) asking him to take a look at some of these images. Didn't let on as to where, who or how though, probably better he doesn't know
Jeff
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »

Richie, what you suggest is a debries field from an object faling down the reef (whatever that object can be) I seem to remember that when Bob Ballard found the Bizmark the first clue they had was the remains of the ships slide down the sea mount that it is located on.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »

Jeff N
Since you ask, I would focus on Discovering and Recovering the Electra. 
Yes, I am not unmindful of the time and resources that would require, having been involved in two projects that would dwarf the Niku project.  (Try 19 man-years of effort and 3..8 Million Dolars in expenses)
I mean no disrespect to Ric and the TIGHAR effort.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »

i use inverted images an photoshop because u can get a better idea of structure for instance

notice the little spoke like things on electra an wen u mess with colors in cs5 u can get a better idea if they r an u can see on 1 i have altered u can see a spoke ?

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »

i use inverted images an photoshop because u can get a better idea of structure for instance

notice the little spoke like things on electra an wen u mess with colors in cs5 u can get a better idea if they r an u can see on 1 i have altered u can see a spoke ?

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org