Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1282953 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #855 on: February 13, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »

how are these video's allowed to be youtube ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwJtxpVhAmU
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #856 on: February 14, 2012, 06:13:28 AM »

anyone can upload anything to you tube.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #857 on: February 14, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

Hum---you know, the black squiggly is alot more pronounced than the 'gear'. If it were a brake hose, it wouldnt be as 'bold' looking. Ever seen a hose from that era after submersion? I have---They definately do not look real black. More of a mat black. In most cases, the black coloring will come off in your hands, making it a more mat finish---if it even stays together. Same thing happens to the hydraulic hoses on boats around here---exposed to salt water, the cover color will literally rub off on your hands. Now in 1937, the hoses were not the same construction as we have now.
If you look at the pic, and invision the tire, comparitively it should be as bold as the 'hose' if it is a hose. This squiggily thing is dark, and there are no other organic things there to compare the color to----
tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #858 on: February 14, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »

just wondering if any of yous can work out size of objects in rov video from the rov data sheet

http://www.seabotix.com/products/lbv300-5.htm

http://www.seabotix.com/products/pdf_files/LBV300-5.pdf

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #859 on: February 14, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »

also can any Tighar Admins tell if this short video is from round Nikumorro

when rov first goes in water it looks like niku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCs1r2TmRz4

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #860 on: February 14, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »

Thats NAI'A, so it may be Niku----if it is, WOW-------the reef is a mess of crevasses, and sharp out crops.
yep we need a bigger boat and a BIG crane

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #861 on: February 14, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »

Yeah, like the Glomar Explorer?
It was built for the CIA to go out and recover a Russian Nuke Sub, or parts of it, from the depths of the ocean.  I've read on Wikipedia that they did manage to grapple parts of the sub up to the surface.  Of course that stuff was classified at the time.

The cover story was that the Hughes Company. Howard, wanted the ship built in order to bring up some Magnesium Nodules from the sea floor in order to assess the feasability of mining.

I think the Glomar is now in Indonesia supporting drilling operations there.  I thimk it was sold or leased for about 2 Million dollars after being in the Naval Reserve Fleet (Mothball Fleet) out here in Suisin Bay (near SF Bay).
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #862 on: February 14, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »

yeah Harry---But I dont think the Glomar Explorer can get close enough.  Maybe like that though. We certainly dont want it to run aground like the Norwich City.
I bet the Navy has something like what we need. HUM---maybe like the ship (S) that brought back the USS Cole after the attack.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #863 on: February 14, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »

Tom
Yeah, no running aground allowed!
Maybe a Seabotix ROV with their "Grabber" option could put in some helium-filled ballons  and we can float it up to the surface, or a bunch of ping-pong balls blown in.

Gotta think outside the box.

Can I borrow your "Crazy" certificate?LOL
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #864 on: February 14, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

you bet---i can print them off for you!!! On a serious note------if that short video was at Niku, that is pretty serious terrain. Certainly not what I was expectly. Guess I should have listened to Ric. Hum---I wonder what depth that was taken at, and if it gets any better as you go deeper? Perhaps if we have any of the Seabotix folks on her, they can tell us. Looks to me that anything that slid down the reef would be torn up like a meat grinder.  :o So in that case----maybe the debris found in the village WAS from there, and fit it is deep enough and hung up enough, we can see it. Trying to make something positive out of this.
Tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #865 on: February 14, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

the squiggle black tube is defo not organic.... in the stills

pic 1 u see black squiggle line quite a bit of it in fact just stops ? well white tube now as it is inverted

pic 2 is of the shelf under pic 1 u can see a tube thats L shaped what has a black bracket i think black tube might go into this ?

in pic 3 is a round metal rim i have changed color in still so u can see it better this is directly under L shaped metal tube

How can you possibly "defo" know that the squiggly is not organic, Richie?  That escapes me.

I grant you the squiggly and whatever it seems associted with is fascinating - and I even confess it looks like a certain aircraft component -

But the major problems I have are scale (may be inches, not feet) and that we cannot know that it's not organic, IMHO.

LTM -
because in video the only other squiggle bits are part of what we have think resemble plane parts... other than that the reef slope is very bare,

weather that's due to under currents or due to chemicals off either Electra or Norwich city the squiggle is out off place were it is

but i admit it's new to us all so hopefully, either way we can identify what it is  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #866 on: February 14, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »

Sorry for being AWOl recently, this is due to the pc with all my TIGHAR files has been hijacked by my son who is home from Uni and is frantically doing his final Dissertation. There are 3 more areas of interest that I have been working on (when I get the superfast pc back!) I'll post some pics then.
Jeff
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #867 on: February 14, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »

no worries fella, we'll still be hummin an arrrin wen ye get back haha  ;D

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #868 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure this is the other vertical satbiliser IMHO, possibly.
I have marked out the interesting features of it but, it's in a bit of a state however, given a hammer and some pliers it could once again look reasonable
Note: it's not in pristine condition but, what would you expect?
Blue outline: Nice conviniently positioned cut out
Red Box: The remains of the possible vertical stabiliser
Yellow arrows: Who knows? I wouldn't expect to see numbers visible after all this time but, you never know.
Green box: No idea
This must be the place

Randy Reid

• T1
« Reply #869 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »

Jeff VH,
you are pulling my appendage, aren't you? :D
Randy
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org