Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1302122 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #840 on: February 10, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »

Jeff Victor
How about a post of the still of the 2nd engine up the slope?
Don't leave us here panting.  hehe
I'm still working on that Harry, ROVer was in full flight went it went past it. But, having said that, it's on the other side of fuselage remains (good), the coral growth colouring on it is the same as that on the other engine (could that be influenced by the type of metal it's growing on? (good). It is in close proximity to various lengths of black whatever they are's, it has plenty of shaped bits in it with holes, right angles,bolt heads etc...(good), there seems to be a shaft projecting out of the front of this one (good). Trying to get a decent picture of it (bad) but, the signs look promising. John was absolutely correct in his comment about the 'ignition leads' needing a focal point to keep them bunched together, the P and W wasp engine had such a distributor cap assembly, I hadn't thought about that, well spotted John.
This must be the place

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #841 on: February 10, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »

Jeff H- Are you thinking the tie downs for the cabin tanks? I wouldn't expect them to all be gathered together in one place although I guess anything could happen. What might they be, if not one length of something?  LTM- John
What I am investigating John is the possibility that, if it is the other engine a little further up the slope then, could we be looking at a gaggle of ignition leads wrapped around whatever the forked thing is?
I have requested some photos of the wasp junior with leads in place and, on the bench from some guys in the states who overhaul P and W wasp engines. See what happens.
Jeff
These should help.

gl
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:40:24 PM by Gary LaPook »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #842 on: February 10, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »

jeff av been examining what Ur on about, an to me it looks like a tube exiting a yoke ? if thats what its called an were the video goes over tha bit at end of first video, well the start is the front view of that area in second bit were it jumps from 43 mins to 37  dya get me

so the first bit on video footage 1, shud be at end of vid 1 not beginning  ::)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #843 on: February 11, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »

Jeff H- Are you thinking the tie downs for the cabin tanks? I wouldn't expect them to all be gathered together in one place although I guess anything could happen. What might they be, if not one length of something?  LTM- John
What I am investigating John is the possibility that, if it is the other engine a little further up the slope then, could we be looking at a gaggle of ignition leads wrapped around whatever the forked thing is?
I have requested some photos of the wasp junior with leads in place and, on the bench from some guys in the states who overhaul P and W wasp engines. See what happens.
Jeff
These should help.

gl

Thanks for the images Gary they should be useful.
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #844 on: February 11, 2012, 01:01:27 PM »

I thought that the black squiggly thing may be this, or bits of it, tangled up in that forked thingy
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #845 on: February 12, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »

The way the wire/rope/cable/ hugs this 'coral plateau' is interesting. It eventually vanishes underneath the 'coral plateau', picture 1. What could cause that to happen?
Take a look at the last 3 pics. See what the arrows point to. This type of feature is used in airframe construction to add strength while saving weight. This looks like fuselage flooring and, that would explain why the wire/rope/cable has vanished from view and, why all the debris ontop of the 'fuselage floor' is laying around flat and level. IMHO
This must be the place

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #846 on: February 12, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

Following this thread I cannot help but be reminded of the scene from “A Boy named Charlie Brown” where Lucy, Linus and Charlie Brown and lying on the ground looking up at the clouds and describing the images they see in the cloud shapes :

Lucy Van Pelt: Aren’t the clouds beautiful? They look like big balls of cotton. I could just lie here all day and watch them drift by. If you use your imagination, you can see lots of things in the cloud’s formations. What do you think you see, Linus?
Linus Van Pelt: Well, those clouds up there look to me look like the map of the British Honduras on the Caribbean. That cloud up there looks a little like the profile of Thomas Eakins, the famous painter and sculptor. And that group of clouds over there gives me the impression of the Stoning of Stephen. I can see the Apostle Paul standing there to one side.
Lucy Van Pelt: Uh huh. That’s very good. What do you see in the clouds, Charlie Brown?
Charlie Brown: Well… I was going to say I saw a duckie and a horsie, but I changed my mind.

I guess I must be Chatie Brown because all I see in this last set of stills is the profile of a face (not that I’ve really seen anything in any of the other ones discussed in this thread, save for, perhaps, the landing gear.)

heavy sigh... 

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #847 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »

It's a struggle for sure Jeff but, ever the optimist, the glass is always half full never half empty. The logic behind the black squiggly thing was based upon 'what black component would survive
For so long and why' that said, the high insulation value of these leads would suffice. That doesn't mean that's what they are, or it is, but it's a possibility.
Scale will remain a challenge simply because there is nothing in the footage that we can take as the datum point from which to measure all else. There is nothing to determine the distance and depth of the field of view.
Example: what was the total distance covered by ROVer in the footage? 20 metres? 50 metres? 100 metres?
When focussing on an object while settled on the bottom, how far is the field of view into the background?
On top of that there is the problem caused by the effect of filming underwater, things appear closer/further away than they actually are, there's a posting re: this effect somewhere in this thread regarding this.
I'm convinced it's airplane so all that's left to do is to...
Convince others
Find out which type
Find sponsor
This must be the place

Patrick Dickson

• TIGHAR member
  • TIGHAR Member #3168A
« Reply #848 on: February 13, 2012, 06:28:09 AM »

and the Electra was carrying "spares" of quite a few parts, wasn't it ??
it could be a debris-field of those items.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #849 on: February 13, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »

Spares? if so, not many. Lots of extra fuel for the open water leg.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #850 on: February 13, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »

or do these match up better

Hi Richie, could the silver cylinder in this picture be the item you asked about in your #591 reply about the picture from the ROV film?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #851 on: February 13, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »

What would be interesting would be footage from another area minus rope/wire/cable and black squiggle to see if the background terrain looked the same in terms of coral/rock formations and other stuff.  Might clarify the cloud watching from the possible debries field.

Just a thought  :)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #852 on: February 13, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »

Here's an image taken at only 100 metres (NOT Niku) Now see how difficult the environment is down there @ 100 metres X 3. It's a miracle they got any footage. We should make the most of what we have. Notice the propellor blade and hub? :)
This must be the place

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:03:20 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #853 on: February 13, 2012, 01:57:10 PM »

the squiggle black tube is defo not organic.... in the stills

pic 1 u see black squiggle line quite a bit of it in fact just stops ? well white tube now as it is inverted

pic 2 is of the shelf under pic 1 u can see a tube thats L shaped what has a black bracket i think black tube might go into this ?

in pic 3 is a round metal rim i have changed color in still so u can see it better this is directly under L shaped metal tube

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #854 on: February 13, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »

i think we need to try getting a better picture of the object in these still's, there is to many straight lines an notice what looks like a engine cowl with encrusted propeller

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org