Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Orona/Hull Island  (Read 35997 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Orona/Hull Island
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »

Was doing some research on my new hobby "pacific islands" and came accross this twist on an alternative theory

Japanese Zero intercepted Earhart, and shot her down, and she made a crash-landing on the island of Hull.

Don't shoot the messenger, just sharing it with you all :)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Orona/Hull Island
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »

Not shoot messenger.  Shoot Amelican Rady Frier!  Budda,budda, budda ....

Where did the Zero come from?  There were no Japanese airfields or aircraft carriers within thousands of miles. Why didn't Jones, the Burns Philp overseer on Hull, report the incident to Lt. John Lambrecht when Lambrecht landed in the lagoon at Hull and talked to Jones on July 9?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »

Where did the Zero come from? 

It came off the air craft carrier, of course....

From the Wikipedia link
"The Japanese with an aircraft carrier stationed between Canton Island and Hull, and with Japanese Zero intercepted Earhart, and shot her down, and she made a crash-landing on the island of Hull." --98.232.182.66 (talk) 08:34, 26 September 2008 (UTC)"

I suppose we could try to correct it, but ....

amck

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »

In 1937 Japan had three aircraft carriers - Hosho, Akagi, and Kaga.  Hosho was obsolete and relegated to training duties. Akagi was in dry dock undergoing a refit that entire year. According to Wikipedia, "The renewal of hostilities with China at the Marco Polo Bridge in July 1937 found Kaga in home waters."

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

Too bad Joe Gervais didn't use Wikipedia during his "20 years of research"...

amck

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:07:36 AM »

Jeeeezzzz, don't you guys know anything???? Jones didn't tell Lambrecht about the crash because the Japanese had already come and carted off Fred, Amelia and their Electra with their seaplane tender, and made it real clear to Jones that if he said anything to anyone, he'd end up wearing a concrete kimono. What could be clearer than that?   ;D

Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 07:23:42 AM »

This stuff is great fun but it's sadly illustrative of the kind of lame-brained nonsense that has historically passed for "Earhart research." And the beat goes on.  At the recent Earhart Festival in Atchison we were appalled at the straight-faced idiocy (sorry, there's no other word for it) being peddled by some of the attending "experts."  There are, of course, those who would say we are paramount among them.

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »

Where did the Zero come from?  There were no Japanese airfields or aircraft carriers within thousands of miles.

Didn't the Zero not even exist yet in 1937?  A quick web search suggests its first flight was in 1939.  Reminds me of the claims that Gary Powers' U-2 was knocked down by a MiG-25 even though the MiG-25 wouldn't fly for another 4 years.
It's not too late to be great.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:22 AM »

Didn't the Zero not even exist yet in 1937?  A quick web search suggests its first flight was in 1939.

That's right.  The A6M design first flew in March 1939 (Sunburst - The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power; 1909-1941, Mark Peattie, Naval Institute press, 2001).

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »

Exactly but by the time he got new batteries he may have forgotten!!!!

With all the fascinating, extraordinary, ground breaking events happening in and around Orona/Hull Island I can see how a plane getting shot down and crashing on or near the atoll would be an easy event to forget! (tongue firmly implanted in cheek)...  ::)

I just had to take that cheapshot at you; you made it so easy!  No malice meant, all-in-fun...   ;D

That is definately one of the theories I had not heard of, will have to check it out...

Cheers,

LTM,

Don

Dave Patterson

• T1
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »

Does anybody know if the twin engined airplane at the bottom of Hull/Orona Island has been investigated or identified ?  WW2 Huson possibly ? It's basically in the direction of the 157 LOP that Earhart was flying if you're in the Gardner Island "camp", which I am about 66%.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »

Does anybody know if the twin engined airplane at the bottom of Hull/Orona Island has been investigated or identified ?

There's wreckage from a wartime C-47 crash on Sydney/Manra (I've IDed one of the prop blades that was recovered to Tarawa in 2000) but I'm aware of no airplane of any description at or near Hull/Orona.  What's your source? 

Dave Patterson

• T1
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »

Ric, I Goodle'd "Hull Island Electra" and found a story about it. They also have a sattelite pic of it along with some analysis on the dimensions in the pic with comparison to the size of an Elecrtra. Some comparisons are right on and other are close.

Dave Patterson

• T1
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »

Ric, It's the "AQUARIUSRADAR" site. I don't know how to paste it over to the TIGHAR page.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »

Ric, I Goodle'd "Hull Island Electra" and found a story about it. They also have a sattelite pic of it along with some analysis on the dimensions in the pic with comparison to the size of an Elecrtra. Some comparisons are right on and other are close.

I presume you are referring to this page.

You might want to study up on how to insert links to pages in Forum posts

By "link" I mean the characters above that are in blue.  People can click on the blue text and browse to the exact page that provoked your question. Providing such links is very helpful for our readers.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org