Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orona/Hull Island  (Read 36024 times)

Dave Patterson

• T1
Re: Orona/Hull Island
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »

Yes Martin, that's the one. What do you think about the pic ?  I think their far flung story of Amelia floating from Hull to Gardner is a ways out there, but anything is possible I guess.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »

What do you think about the pic ?

It seems to me that the perception of an airframe in the picture is most likely an example of "digital artifacts."

I think their far flung story of Amelia floating from Hull to Gardner is a ways out there, but anything is possible I guess.

See the links from the Ameliapedia entry about the buoyancy of the Electra.  Of course, improbable things do happen, but that is not the way to bet.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »

Ric, I Goodle'd "Hull Island Electra" and found a story about it.

Well, if it's on the internet is must be true.  The woods are full of amateur sleuths with a theory about Amelia Earhart and a keyboard.

They also have a sattelite pic of it along with some analysis on the dimensions in the pic with comparison to the size of an Elecrtra. Some comparisons are right on and other are close.

Yeah, some satellite pic. About once a week somebody finds the Electra on Google Earth, usually on or around Gardner/Nikumaroro. If you squint just right I bet you could find NR16020 in Long Island Sound.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 07:27:40 AM »

Does anybody know if the twin engined airplane at the bottom of Hull/Orona Island has been investigated or identified ?  WW2 Huson possibly ? It's basically in the direction of the 157 LOP that Earhart was flying if you're in the Gardner Island "camp", which I am about 66%.

According to Lt. Lambrecht's report, he found Hull Island to be "inhabited" and during his search he landed in the lagoon there and talked to the British "resident manager" who informed Lambrecht that he had "not seen or heard" of Earhart or her flight. It is a little hard for me to believe that she could have crash landed in the lagoon without the inhabitants knowing about it.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Dave Patterson

• T1
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »

I guess some people on this site aren't as open minded as they would like the rest of the members to believe. I'll believe a helicopter pilot who flew over the lagoon before I believe there's a "Martian giraffe" down there. I'm thinking it's maybe a WW2 plane, in which case it's about 70 years old and about 75 feet down. I'm also thinking there's less than 1% chance it's the elusive Electra.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »

The line between "open minded" and "gullible" is razor thin and frequently blurry - I trip over it all the time.

LTM, who should probably clean his glasses more often,

Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org