Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Summary of Fiji Princess trip to Nikumaroro  (Read 79096 times)

Skip Daly

• T1
Re: Quick Summary of Fiji Princess trip to Nikumaroro
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »

Personally, I can't see the wisdom in repeating the same exercise, especially so soon after this expedition. There doesn't seem to be much (if anything) left to find on a boat trip to the island.

*IF* the GPS confirms that the camera did not even reach the anomaly location, then it at least seems worth checking that out "for real", no?

That was, after all, the prime goal of this past expedition.  (A goal that was compromised by the equipment failures.)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2015, 09:49:26 AM »

Looks to me like you own it as it is (duh, I know you know that better than any of us could possible realize) - so where do you want to take it from here???

- Cave, claim perusal and write the book on what's gone to date and do tours, or -
- Regroup, build a blue-ribbon panel of the best talent you can muster to look at all that has gone before and consider where / how to look next, and go for the gold ring?

Sure, I get discouraged at times - especially after a trip like this last one - but you've known me for how many years?  Which way do you think I'll take it?

Sometimes you piss me off but I do believe your intentions are sincere.  Your assessment of the current situation is very much in line with my own.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »

My instincts would be to give it another try with the ROV. Use same company take backups, lobby FedEx for reconsideration or find another carrier that would like a piece of  the action. This setback does not doom this project a failure. Public relations are your long suit, go after it. Don’t get bogged down in a lawsuit for the 2012 adjustment.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »

Thinking optimistically for a moment, does this mean that sufficient funds are in the coffer to set things up for a 2016 return, to have a proper look at the anomaly?

I wish that were the case but we had to go significantly into debt just to make the expedition happen.  Fortunately the board member who loaned us the money is not in a huge hurry to get it back. Right now my main concern is that we are able to preserve the organization as we re-group, re-assess, and re-invent.

As for the anomaly...I gather the GPS data is still pending?

Yes. 

What size storm would be required to affect movement on a 30+ foot object 600 feet underwater?

Good question.  I don't know and I'm not sure than anyone can give us a reliable answer.  I do know that the island got clobbered some time between the last Google Earth image in November 2014 and our arrival on June 13, 2015. Severe Tropical Cyclone Pam in March is the probable culprit and the just-budding re-growth of beachfront vegetation looks about right.

Along these lines....were there any plans...or are there any plans...to re-validate (via sonar?) that the anomaly still sits where it did in 2012?

A sector-scan sonar mounted on an ROV would do the job.  We had one on the ROV this trip.
The problem is, any on-site investigation means chartering a ship and appropriate ships are hard to find, hard to schedule and invariably expensive.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2015, 10:11:21 AM »

*IF* the GPS confirms that the camera did not even reach the anomaly location, then it at least seems worth checking that out "for real", no?

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we're going to get enough information from the Hail Mary photos to draw any firm conclusions one way or the other.  Yes, the anomaly still needs checking out.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »

My instincts would be to give it another try with the ROV. Use same company take backups, lobby FedEx for reconsideration or find another carrier that would like a piece of  the action. This setback does not doom this project a failure. Public relations are your long suit, go after it. Don’t get bogged down in a lawsuit for the 2012 adjustment.

How would everyone feel if we somehow raised another $500,000 and duplicated Niku VIII only to find that the anomaly was an unusual coral ridge or not there at all?  What's really needed is a thorough inspection of the deep water off the west end of the atoll down to much greater depths than we've explored to date. 

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »

If you're going to do it at all, that's the way to go.

Personally I think you can't exclude the rest of the mount if you go that route, but can see where 'phases' might make sense.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Eddie Rose

• T1
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2015, 11:02:07 AM »

I agree with that. I just don't think repeating a boat trip, land exploration, DIY-ROV type expedition is wise. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

It's worth checking out, but something has to change.

What if you survey the spot and it's empty? Maybe something moved or slid down deeper. That's why I think a full & complete professional survey of the surrounding area will give a definitive answer on the presence of any man-made stuff down there that's not shaped like Norwich City debris.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2015, 11:18:43 AM »

What if you survey the spot and it's empty? Maybe something moved or slid down deeper. That's why I think a full & complete professional survey of the surrounding area will give a definitive answer on the presence of any man-made stuff down there that's not shaped like Norwich City debris.

Good.  Then I'm sure you're eager to join TIGHAR and help us bring that about - or are you just posturing?

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »

"How would everyone feel if we somehow raised another $500,000 and duplicated Niku VIII only to find that the anomaly was an unusual coral ridge or not there at all?  What's really needed is a thorough inspection of the deep water off the west end of the atoll down to much greater depths than we've explored to date. "
That's exactly what we're all here for Ric. Wish I had said that myself! Let's do it and at least prove one way or the other there is or is not anything there!
Bob S.

Margaret Sanders

• T1
  • Just a regular girl here!
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »

Ric,

I apologize if this is an idea that's implausible. I wonder if there are other sources of satellite images of the area that might help narrow down where the anomaly might be now. I know, for instance, that organizations exist which use sat images to search for planes such as the Malaysia airlines one a while back. I don't know whether different organizations use different satellites or how that works but maybe a more recent picture of Niku is available. If this is too remedial an just say so. If it's not, and if it would help in any way, I'd be happy to do some web-scouring.
I'm no expert; just happy to be here.👀
#4777A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »

TIGHAR may have to wait a little while longer, or operate a little differently, but I believe if its really worth going after, the funds can be found.

OK.

The exploration of anything may be stunted, but must not be determined or defined by the amount of money needed.

In this case, the lack of money prevented getting a big ship when it was available and prevented the shipment of the backup ROV.

Money matters.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »

I disagree alittle, Marty. It wasn't the lack of money that caused the problems, although that has been a constant theme and excuse to use when things don't go right (Same as the weather!) I think somebody got antsy and didn't want to wait or look at other alternatives. I'm not an articulate or knowledgeable fund raiser type person, but I know in my own experiences that sometimes people get so set and comfortable in doing something a certain way, The Brain just blocks out other possible paths and needs a different view or attitude or incentive to start thinking again.
Bob S.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »

How would everyone feel if we somehow raised another $500,000 and duplicated Niku VIII only to find that the anomaly was an unusual coral ridge or not there at all?  What's really needed is a thorough inspection of the deep water off the west end of the atoll down to much greater depths than we've explored to date.
You went there to investigate the anomaly and it didn't work out. You still need to determine the posture of the anomaly. I would agree about the thorough inspection going deep and of course that should be done if you can swing it.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »

I disagree alittle, Marty. It wasn't the lack of money that caused the problems ...

The lack of money is why they didn't have the big boat that was available with some big ROVs on it.

The lack of money is why they didn't have a backup ROV with them on the Nai'a.

The lack of money sure seems to me to be a causal factor.

YMMV.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org