Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Summary of Fiji Princess trip to Nikumaroro  (Read 79145 times)

Mark Ramsey

• T1
Quick Summary of Fiji Princess trip to Nikumaroro
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:32:26 PM »

I thought folks might be interested in a quick summary of the trip to Nikumaroro aboard the Fiji Princess organized by Bechart Expeditions.

We set sail from Port Denarau on Friday, June 19th with 58 passengers excited to make the trip to Niku.  Rather than going directly to Niku
on the route taken by the Nai'a, we sailed to Rotuma, Funafuti and then over to Niku.  This route allowed for the two stops on the way.

While we sailed, Dr. Tom King presented a number of very interesting topics ranging from "Why Niku?" to an explanation of "PISS".

We arrived at Nikumaroro on Wed, June 24th (Fiji time) around 2pm.  Ric boarded the ship and shared highlights of the work done by the
Niku VIII effort and the crew of the Fiji Princess made preparations for expeditions to the island.  Ric and a number of the Tighar expedition
members joined us on the Fiji Princess for dinner.

On Thursday, June 25th, Art Carty led a small group of us from the landing area to the potential Camp Zero areas.  We were joined by Ric and
other Tighar expedition members on the trek across the passage and up the long (& very hot beach) past the Norwich City, the landing zone,
and to the Camp Zero areas.  Since the Tighar expedition team was preparing to leave at the end of the day, we headed back after a bit of
looking at the site.  Another group was led by Dr. King to explore the colonial village area and begin plans for the rest of our visit.  We also had a
group of divers that explored a number of areas, as well as a glass bottom boat that was used for a view onto the shallow reef area.

On Friday, June 26th, after the departure of the Nai'a several Tighar members on board led groups to areas for exploration.  Dr. Tom King worked with
the group to set up a search grid in the colonial village area just beyond the landing area, and another team focused on investigating the shoreline of
the village.  Rachel King found a hair piece that appears to have been constructed of aircraft aluminum in the village search area.  I was part of the team
exploring back from the beach, and discovered 4 graves that had not been logged previously.  Dawn Johnson used the newly discovered graves as a
source for her project using the soil for canine investigation.  These graves were established by those in the colonial village, but had not been previously
identified.

During Sat and Sun, the treks and searches were expanded.  Dr. Tom Roberts led four teams to the Seven Site for the opportunity to see the Ren tree, Skull hole,
Buka forest area, water container and other areas searched extensively by Tighar in previous expeditions.  Several teams searched both sides of the Buraki
Passage for the orally reported door in that area....but no door was found.  Another team made the trek back to the Camp Zero area for more searching.  A very
large area in the colonial village site was cleared and searched....producing a number of artifacts, including another hair item made from aluminum and additional
bottles in the store area.  The divers made dives at the Candy Jar site at the north of the island, at the Norwich City, and at the blocks on the beach.

Over the four days, we experienced a variety of weather ranging from the very hot on our first day, to heavy rains, to a nice overcast day.

We sailed from Niku Sunday afternoon, June 28th head back to Fiji.  The seas were a bit rough, but the style of the Fiji Princess handled it very well.  We planned to
stop at Funtuna, but had to settle for a short 1-hour cruise through the harbor due to high seas at the wharf.  We continued on back to Port Denarau arriving on Thursday,
July 2nd around 5pm.  Many of us headed directly to the airport to catch the 9:40pm flight to LAX.  Imagine our surprise when we ran into Ric and 8 of the Tighar expedition
team at the airport and on our same flight back to the US.

Here is a video that crams 4 1/2 days at Niku into 50mins:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h8DXqmzEPY

Mark
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:49:45 AM by Mark Ramsey »

Laura Gridley

• T1
Re: Quick Summary of Fiji Princess trip to Nikumaroro
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 02:25:14 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this summary! 

Dawn Johnson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 04:49:27 AM »

Thanks Mark, great summary. I can't wait to show your video to my family! It was wonderful having you and Trina aboard!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:47:30 AM »

Thanks Mark! Its really neat that you were able to do a video and especially beings this is the 78th anniversary of her disappearance! I hope we will be able to piece some more pieces of the puzzle with the searches on the island along with the potential finds in the ROV search!

Paul March

• T1
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »

Wonderful video Mark. Thank you!

Chris Murphy

• T1
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »

Amazing video!  I almost felt like I was there!

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »

THANK YOU for posting this video! The island, despite its formidability, really is beautiful. I wouldn't be able to contain my excitement seeing it appear in the distance.  (That is, if you could pry the Prozac, water wings, and life preserver from my terrified fingers!)  Thanks for taking time to show the birds.  I love birds. The baby looks like a White Tern. Absolutely adorable.

Mark Ramsey

• T1
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »

From the "birding" folks on the cruise, the birds under the bushes, both the adult and baby, are tropical birds.  The birds sitting out in the open on their eggs are Boobies.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »

WOW! Awesome Video Mark!!! I have to be honest...had to take several naps while watching this! One of the things I noticed which I found very interesting is the stepping stone trail at the 10:13 mark of the video. Hope someone can tell me more on this! Also, the dive team had way too much fun! Loved the clarity of the video and the depth of the dive, and most importantly how much it shows we need to protect our reefs in the world! Overall, this video is a catalyst of things to come! Thanks again for all your hard work!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 08:31:44 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the video too--I listened to most of it a second time, as well.

Thanks!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

Video was great! I love the boobies! The little guy is my favorite. I think he was looking for something too, wasn't he? I don't think he  found anything either! Well, you never know. Ric may be saving the best for last!
Bob S.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

Thanks for posting. Nothing like lots of eyeballs when searching. Loved the video. It provides a better understanding of how difficult the island is to search. Including for the castaway that explored it and the very short 1937 aerial search.
3971R

Mark Ramsey

• T1
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 03:11:08 PM »

Randy.....the stone path at 10:13 mark was created by Lori Fox and a few of the others to mark the entrance to the four graves I discovered hidden in the bushes.  I found one grave by seeing the headstone in the scavola.  When I looked closer, I found three adult graves, and what appears to be one child grave.  They are about 20 yards back from the beach and about 50 yards north of the landing area.  We spent over an hour clearing the area and looking for artifacts.

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »

Nicely done video. I have a question on the dive location. Was this in the lagoon or somewhere off the reef?

I was struck by the size and multitude of boulders, or perhaps they are slabs of coral. In any case, I've suspected a similar explanation for the sonar anomaly.
It's not too late to be great.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 04:42:43 PM »

Outstanding Video and the music is great. I have been observing this project for several years now and this video is the best presentation of the island I have seen. I think that I can now get a better sense of the difficulty of seeing low flying search planes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org