How To Get Started
Clicking on any of the blue links shown below will take you to a short answer that has links to longer answers about specific subjects, which will, in turn have links to even more detail, and so on. In general, the deeper you go into a subject, the more technical the discussion will become.
What really happened to Amelia Earhart?
- TIGHAR thinks Earhart and Noonan may have landed on the reef that surrounds Gardner Island/Nikumaroro. Here is a complete overview of the Niku Hypothesis. See also "What Happened to Amelia Earhart? The Case for Nikumaroro."
What has TIGHAR found?
- TIGHAR's findings are summarized in Research Bulletins, Technical Papers, and articles from TIGHAR Tracks.
- Some other frequently asked questions.
What went wrong?
- Communications broke down between the plane and the Coast Guard ship that was waiting for Earhart and Noonan at Howland Island.
Was Amelia Earhart a good pilot?
- Some details about her career may help you make up your own mind.
Can the mystery ever be solved?
- TIGHAR thinks it very likely can be. The Earhart Project is TIGHAR’s science-based investigation testing the hypothesis that Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan landed, and eventually died, on Gardner Island, now Nikumaroro in the Republic of Kiribati. Archival research and nine expeditions have uncovered a compelling body of supporting evidence. Archaeological excavations during the Niku VI expedition aimed to expand our understanding of the site where evidence suggests Earhart died, with the possibility of recovering artifacts from which DNA can be extracted. The expedition also includes a deep water search off the atoll’s fringing reef for the wreckage of the airplane.
You can help TIGHAR
The editors of the Ameliapedia are members of TIGHAR’s Earhart Project Advisory Council. We make every effort to assure that the facts presented are accurate and accurately documented. If you find information in the Ameliapedia that you believe is incorrect please email us at email@example.com and let us know. We’ll fix it if it’s wrong or tell you why we think it’s right. You may also register in the news section and participate in the TIGHAR Forums.
Sponsors, benefactors, friends
Our special thanks to the corporate and individual sponsors of The Earhart Project, without whom nothing would be possible.
The Members of the TIGHAR Board of Directors