Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HD ROV Footage 2012  (Read 87127 times)

Rob Seasock

• T2
Re: HD ROV Footage 2012
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »

Retransmission of first photo.

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2012, 05:48:06 PM »

Some more folks, I would say the control lever is aircraft, early 20th century marine would probably be a heavy brass handle.   Maybe some one can match it ti a cockpit photo-the retract handle for the landing gear perhaps. There is stuff all over down there.

Thanks Rob

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »

Rob, Thanks for the image grab.
The large center post at the bottom is what I was trying to look at better. There is some coral in the way so it is easier to see if you follow it in the video (1:22 to 1:26)
If you look at what may be the wheel strut, as annotated with a big arrow in the original image released, and follow this area as the ROV moves over it in the video, you should see what may be the “center post” coming up from that spot at 1:22 to 1:24, bottom of picture. 

The center post can be seen in the crash picture from the Luke Field crash. It is a large diameter tube and has a dome on top.
The object in the ROV video has a dome, partially covered by coral or silt. It may have a hole in it where the cross bar was ripped off.
There are other parts around this including a screw, tube and some other man-made items.
See pdf below
3971R

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »

Congradulations Ric, 23 years of believing no matter what the nay sayers thought!

Dash panel and probable radio.

Thanks Rob

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

Ops Sorry

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2012, 06:52:45 PM »

Sorry all the attachments aren't going out.  One more time.

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »

Rob,   to the left of the square box you have labled "guage" at about 10 o'clock and just right of the whip coral there is something round set back in just a bit. It reminds me of either a knob or maybe the end of a push-pull switch or cable. Thoughts.  LTM, who can't quite see what you see with the viewer and screen, but thinks there is something there.  -John

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »

John, it does look round and man made, but it blurs out to quickly when I zoom in,  there are numerous other objects there.  The studs on the distinctive object are similar to ones on the control column mounting quadrant right down to a machined groove, I'm trying to get it figured out with the video shots and a topside photo. 

Gregory, after you asked for the grab I was able to see them as well.   If you keep moving right, there a 2 small points of slope that come out with sand between.  There "may" be a tire in the second bay proped up vertical against the bank, strange tall object behind it.  Horizontal strut ( butt on) laying on second point of land.  I don't want another tire in the mix,lol.

Thanks Rob

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »

A follow up to the previous images I posted before going onto the 'not coral or 1911 steam freighter' images.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »

Again
This must be the place

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

Looks like a release to open a panel to me. Would the Electra have external panels that would release with such a fastener?   -John

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »

In this part of the HD footage everything is blue (first image) which obviously isn't the natural color scheme. The fish were a lovely color previously so, reverting the fish back to their previous wonderful colors will reveal the true colors of not only the fish but the surroundings (second image). Now you can see the thin aluminium colored skin. Where it is torn/ripped it has bent upwards to reveal the underside color. There are lots of bits like these in these images and the rest of the footage.

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

A few images of 1911-1929 steamship equipment in case you need to identify it amongst the 'other'. Bearing in mind due to the nature of the work it was designed for most of the electrical gear is 3 phase running well in excess of 415V and the amperage would fry a buffalo in less than 1 second, plus you would need to bend the electrical cabling with your knee.

This must be the place

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »

Hello Jeff

I've been wondering about the amount of brass down there and how clean it appears to be,  what is your opinion on the survivability of the ships radio equipment in the fire, was the entire ship gutted by fire?  Brass melts at around 1700 degress F.

Thanks Rob

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »

Well Rob, the ships radio equipment must have been updated on numerous occasions since the ship was built in 1911 to comply with the ever changing regulations. For example the Titanic disaster forced a plethora of changes regarding the safety of ships at sea. Any information on the type and year of manufacture of said radio kit aboard the Norwich city would be helpful in assessing survivability. Of course the radio kit would have been in the radio room which would have to be open to elements to spill it out so, at an unknown year from 1929 to ? when the radio room finally took the plunge into the Pacific, providing it didn't get incinerated in an enclosed fire before hand that is. Be interesting to find out what they had aboard for comms, radar would have been useful ::)
IMHO of course
This must be the place

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org