Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HD ROV Footage 2012  (Read 86386 times)

Brice Payne

• T1
Re: HD ROV Footage 2012
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2012, 04:50:54 PM »

An additional  POSSIBLE coorelation from HD 2012 to Jeffs "here's another one" 2010 photo with comparison.

????

Thanks Rob
Rob and Doug,
Interesting. Look at the photo that Doug submitted of the plane wheel, fender, strut, etc turned sideways. Observe the shape of the fork (maybe not the right term, thats what its called on a bicycle). Now compare that to the photo that Rob submitted of the 'hub in the 'HD 2012 Tires & Strut with 2010 ROV Comparison" post.
In that photo, look above the circle of the hub at what lies directly between the words ""seconds' hub" and "hub". There is an object there in the shape of a large lever or giant tuning fork.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »

Objects may seem to disappear when looked at different angles because in one angle they are visible and in the other they are covered up. The wheel assembly looks like a wheel assembly from the side because it may very well be a wheel assembly. That you can’t see it from the top may be because it is covered by coral or a slide that covers the top of the wheel but not the side of it. So it looks like coral or sand from the top.
I think a lot of objects may not be visible from above since they are at the bottom of a cliff.  Falling silt and rocks are covering them from the top, over 75 years worth. They may only be visible when viewed from the side. Also corals growing around and over them may be hiding stuff. it grows in all sorts of patterns and can make a thin piece that viewed from the side is hardly noticable but from the top it looks like a big rock. Or they may not be  seen from a different angle because they are not there. In the case of the wheel assembly I beleive that it may very well be there. You may see it from the side but from the top it may be covered except for the wheel strut which is higher.

Similar hide and seek for the center element of the strut may be happening. You can't see it until it is uncovered for only a breif part of the pass around 1:24 to 1:25. It may be broken away from the wheel struts similar to what happened in the Luke field crash.
See attachment
3971R

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:04:34 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »

Hey Brice

I see the fork as well.  I spun the example 180 degrees (I think it looks more like Jeffs 2010 original find), your fork is apparent but I didn't label it (it's getting crowded).  Before I turned it, I expanded it a little more and realized maybe the tire is at the new red annotations (would that be too large of a tire?) Your fork could be for the "second" tire huh?

Hey Gregory
Yes that black rectangle did resemble a tire until you are able to fly right over it.  I have not searched with a frame grab the behind the black rectangle (but in line of sight to the original 2012 HD Still Photo).  There is a small open sand area behind the black rectangle on the far right I "may" have seen a Strut butt end on video replay yesterday.

My current posts are from 1:58 to 2:01.  Feel free to super impose anything I submitted, I don't have those skills yet.

Thanks Guys
Rob

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

Doug feel free to Doctor up my posts as well, I meant that for you too.

Thanks Rob

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »

From the top, what is left of the tire may be hidden by falling sediment and/or coral growth.
Rob and/ or Doug, Can either of you detach a good image at 1:25? At the bottom, center, there may be the landing gear center post with the hole where the pivot beam was.  Its right next to where I think the wheel strut and axle are, in a vertical position.
3971R

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »

Here You go Gregory 1:25 Grab

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »

Here You go Gregory 1:25 Grab
LOL, I was just going to post the same frame grab.

It's been very interesting playing the video back at a 25% rate in VLC. There's a lot of information that's lost in static frame grabs. In the "Wheel" frame grabs posted here, when altering the colors to something a little more natural and viewing at a slow rate it appears that the area where the wheel/tire should be is empty.

I'm using the Easy YouTube Video Downloader for Firefox to grab the high def video and the same video player Rob is using (VLC from www.videolan.org). Both are free. VLC is great. I've used it for years. I've just started using the Video Downloader and so far so good.
------
Doug

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »

So Doug I see several short sections of pipe or tube where Gregory was asking for a shot, is it not there? How do you slow the play back rate?

CHECK THIS OUT! Lol

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »

How do you slow the play back rate?
See attached, right click on playback rate, move the cursor to the bottom (25% playback although not obvious).

(Edited to add:)

Also see "Tools/Preferences/Hotkeys" in "Show Simple Settings" (see lower left hand corner) or "Tools/Preferences/Interface/Hotkeys" in "Show All Settings" for some useful hotkey settings. Ex: space bar pauses/resumes play, "+" goes faster, "-" goes slower. You can also define short, medium and long jumps forward or backward in time.

You can also set Bookmarks (Playback/Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks or select a bookmark). ^B brings up the bookmark menu. Makes it easy to jump from interesting place to interesting place.

^E brings up the audio/video enhancement control panel. Makes is easy to adjust image hue or to magnify/sharpen the image.
------
Doug

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:23:44 AM by Doug Giese »

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:04 PM »

Thanks Doug, I'll check it out.

Rob

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2012, 06:21:19 AM »

Guys----As we are looking at the these still pics, and a short video, that has been paused, rotated, disected, enlarged, etc, we have to remember that when Ric and Wolfgang were in the control room looking at the video feed from the ROV, it was REAL TIME, without the benefit of being able to really study it. Granted, if they had been able to see a big piece of aluminum with NR16020 painted on it, it would have been a different story I'm sure. But, as we are looking an studying this ourselves, I'm sure there are others that are also looking at it, as well as the other video, and still pics.
Actually, I came to the conclusion that it might be months before all the information has been culled through. This was a recon trip. Gathering the information needed to make an intelligent decision to go back or not and do this type of search again. Personally, I  think so. They have seen 'thing's". They might have hit on the actual debris field of the Electra, or missed it  by 20 feet. Even though there was some really good equipment used, this isnt an exact science. I assure you that the information gathered on this expedition will enhance the next one, and a slightly different appreach will be taken. IMHO.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Brice Payne

• T1
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »

Hey Brice

(would that be too large of a tire?) Your fork could be for the "second" tire huh?

Rob,
To be honest, I was thinking it was too small for one. So I'll leave the size analyzing up to the pros... until I spot the plane's door of course.  ;)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »

Due to the quality of the high definition footage I feel that the emphasis has now changed from the 2010 debris field, 'it's coral' argument to, can it be determined that the debris is the Electra. A good few hours of HD footage was gathered which will be a great help. Progress of some sort anyhow.
IMHO of course
This must be the place

Will Hatchell

• inactive
  • "Down to the nitty-gritty"
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »

Due to the quality of the high definition footage I feel that the emphasis has now changed from the 2010 debris field, 'it's coral' argument to, can it be determined that the debris is the Electra. A good few hours of HD footage was gathered which will be a great help. Progress of some sort anyhow.
IMHO of course

For those who may have forgotten (not Jeff necessarily, but perhaps for some of us newbies) a little reminder re "coral growth or no growth": Ric Gillespie's post dated 27 Oct 2011 touched on this topic (of coral growth) relative to depth of sunlight penetration to about 300 meters or 984 feet, the shallower the depth, the more vigorous coral growth. I suspect a lot of the coral plating we see on suspected/possible plane parts below the depth of sunlight is in fact dead and no longer active; it likely went down the reef slope clinging to the man-made parts it grew on higher up and earlier in time. We all agree that a fraction of what we see also is silt as well, also filtering constantly down the reef slope from above. Looks like the reef slope is constantly shedding debris of all sizes from boulders to pebbles, some possibly clinging to man-made parts of various origins, but coral growth arrested below the zone of sunlight. Just thought I'd toss this topic into the mix in case it helps out with anyone's observations of the HD ROV footage.  :)

Hatch
Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »

Suspect aircraft debris from cockpit.

Thanks Rob
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org