Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HD ROV Footage 2012  (Read 86454 times)

Dave Potratz

• T2
Re: HD ROV Footage 2012
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »

Marty, I believe this is the SD version of the simultaneously captured Niku VII HD footage which contains the subject debris field.  You can see the date in the uper right quadrant.

You're right: I was wrong.   :-[

No.  You were right Marty.  Although the "comparison" HD and SD clips are from the same dive on the same day as the debris field video, they are from a different part of that five and a half hour dive and are offered only as a comparison between the quality of the two grades of video.

Ah, right, I see that. My bad on that part!   :-[    Yet another example that sometimes we see what we want!

dp

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »

See previous images...
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »

The object in white box is odd as it is set back from rest of coral

and when you look at surrounding dark area's there is nothing similar in the still image.
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

Talking face's on mars, look at Nikumorro  face on reef  ;D

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »

Ric

On this over pass looking for supposed wing, did you's notice the square looking hole top left of image

Member# 416

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »

I see something resembling a nose and mustache on the right side of the photo, clearest image yet

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »

Morse Code Key-Deformed?  Shot in the dark...
Thanks Rob

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2012, 02:36:25 PM »

See what looks like a metal strap under the clump in the original image released. Maybe it is the strap that held the inboard tanks down.
The object next to it may be a a fuel filling port for the inboard tanks. The picture Jeff just posted shows another fuel port.
The elbow tube and clip next to these two items may be a fuel line elbow connection.
That clump in the middle of the original picture released may be what is left of the fuel tank and it's internal support structure. That black box next to these items may be the box that was on top of the right inboard tank in other pics.
See attached pdf
3971R

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »

Rob
It was my understanding that the morse key was removed from the Electra for this trip

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2012, 03:00:39 PM »

Matt-You mean when they pulled out (fatal error) the trailing antenna cause it was "too difficult" to reel in?

Gregory-I believe that
l-shape is an illusion (ledge shadow), I thought it was a control colume (see photo in my post about the Morse key).  I you watch for it while playing the video, it is there then turns into a ledge.

Thanks Rob

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »

Sorry Gregory ..... L-shaped

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »

HD 2012 Tires & Strut with 2010 ROV Comparison.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks Rob

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2012, 04:08:32 PM »

I've changed my opinion about a debris object being a wheel assembly. My original post was in response to a post by Gregory Lee Daspit (referenced in my original post).

From the original viewing angle (I think taken from a trailer for the Discovery Channel broadcast) it sure looked like the debris was a wheel assembly.

But, when viewing the new HD video Ric posted from a different angle it doesn't look like a wheel assembly. A jpg is attached.

The top image in the jpg shows the location of the "wheel" at t=0.52 secs. The wheel object is flagged in the new Research Bulletin Exploring the Debris Field as the upper right hand arrow.

The middle two images show an enlargement of the debris "wheel" and a photo of the real wheel posted by Gregory. I altered the color and sharpness to make it easier to see things.

The bottom image shows a different view of the "wheel" at t=1.19 secs. It's clear, at least to me, the tire is really made of up a couple independent rocks or pieces of coral.

Edit: I attached a second jpg (Not_a_Wheel_Explanation.jpg) showing what appears to be the rock/coral/sand components making up the wheel assembly.

My error - oops.

Having the video sure makes it easier to analyze what's in the images.

Does anyone know if there is a 'speedometer' in the ROV? If we knew the speed of the ROV it would allow a good estimate of scale since the image would sweep past the same linear distance independent of height. The problem with using some other reference object (like I did with a starfish) is that the estimated scale is only as good as the size estimate of the reference object and is only valid at that distance. Anything closer will measure too large; anything farther away will measure too small.

p.s., I really like the underwater contour maps in the Research Bulletin.

------
Doug

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:21:05 PM by Doug Giese »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

It was my understanding that the morse key was removed from the Electra for this trip

There were two keys to start with.

There are two people who claim to have had one of her keys after she was lost.

2 - 2 = 0 -- if the accounts are reliable.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »

An additional  POSSIBLE coorelation from HD 2012 to Jeffs "here's another one" 2010 photo with comparison.

????

Thanks Rob
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org