Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dole Derby  (Read 162586 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Re: The Dole Derby
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 10:14:45 AM »

Clarence,

Very interesting. Nice find. I guess that I was looking behind that chain and seeing something wavy that I thought may have been part of it but now that I see the pieces you posted, that must be part of the fabric or something. Do you see the S shaped thing behind the chain? Maybe it is just embroidery.

Heath, I see what you mean. I hadn't noticed it before and have no idea what it could be. Your eyes must be younger than mine.

This is a very interesting historical event that I, as a long time follower of aviation history, had not seen before. Keep up the good work!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:24:54 AM by Clarence W. Herndon »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »

Chris
Yes, Earhart and Doran, stunning similarities.
I'm wondering why Amelia didn't get a navigator and enter that race and take Mildred Doran  along as a passenger.  After all, there were  $25,000.00 and $10,000.00 involved for 1st and 2nd prizes.  It was 1927, she was 30 years old (Doran was 22).  But then again, someone had flown from Oakland to Oahu before the "Race" got off.  I believe it was Hegenberfer and Maitland, two Navy fliers that did it but Dole didn't give them the prize because they didn't land at  Honoluluand they didn't follow the "rules" of the start.  AE wasn't interesred in being second.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »

Alfred
Yes, the Winnie Mae, Wiley Post's daughter.  Sometimes my typing finger (singular, LOL) has a mind of its own.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »

Chris
Putting on my nit-picking hat.  Crashing doesn't qualify as a landing  LOL,
But then again, as a pilot, I've always heard that any landing that you can walk away from (crawl?) is a successful landing.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »

A bit of trivia.  The road to the Oakland Airport from the freeway is Hegenberger Road.  The "old" airport is called North Field and has a good aviation museum, including an Amelia Earhart room.
No Worries Mates

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »

A correction to an earlier post of mine:  Hegenberger and Maitland were Army fliers not Navy, horrors, LOL.  And me an Army man too, unforgivable.
No Worries Mates

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

Chris
Very interesting story about the Dole Derby at:

http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist10/27dolerace.html

According to the story there were 75,000 to 100,000 at Oakland for the start of the race, WOW, that's Super Bowl Quality event.

Harry, the story here also provides some more insight into the pins on Mildred's pocket. On page 3, the "Fallen 'Angel' " portion of the article, the write up says that "Mildred wore five fraternity pins on her olive-drab flying suit". Since the one on her right seems to be her own sorority badge it appears that the other four were fraterity pins. I can't see them well enough to tell what fraternities they might be but three of them look to be very similar while the one next to her own looks different from the other three.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:26:35 PM by Clarence W. Herndon »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

original m8  :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39992761@N08/page5/

look at the cockpit aswell in the pics on link

Gary LaPook,  since you are our resident attorney, I have a question for you. If you go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/39992761@N08/page5/ and check the photos that are posted concerning AE, many if not all of the pictures are taken from the Purdue e-archives but are listed as being copyrighted by flickr.com. How can they do that??
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »

Anyone familiar enough with the artifacts list to know whether  sorority and/or fraternity pins and guards were among the things found on Gardner?
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »

just thought would post this  :)

Richie, I'm not sure who you think this is with AE in the picture but it is another that was taken from the Purdue University AE e-archives collection. It is picture #83 and is AE and film actress Claudette Colbert. See attached.

got to be twins haha

very uncanny  :o
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

original m8  :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39992761@N08/page5/

look at the cockpit aswell in the pics on link

Gary LaPook,  since you are our resident attorney, I have a question for you. If you go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/39992761@N08/page5/ and check the photos that are posted concerning AE, many if not all of the pictures are taken from the Purdue e-archives but are listed as being copyrighted by flickr.com. How can they do that??
You owe me a hundred dollars! I can make that claim but it doesn't mean that I actually do have a valid claim for a hundred dollars and that I can enforce it. I don't know much about copyright law but I seem to remember that copyrights in the U.S. only last 70 years. The photos of Earhart were taken prior to her disappearance in 1937...hmmm 1937 plus 70 years equals....

Plus, if no copyright had been claimed originally so that they were freely published before then they are "in the public domain" and cannot be copyrighted retroactively. Even if there were a valid copyright one can use them for our purposes under the "fair use doctrine."
gl

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »

Quote from: Clarence W. Herndon link=topic=616.msg11152#msg11152 date=133174929

[/quote

You owe me a hundred dollars! I can make that claim but it doesn't mean that I actually do have a valid claim for a hundred dollars and that I can enforce it. I don't know much about copyright law but I seem to remember that copyrights in the U.S. only last 70 years. The photos of Earhart were taken prior to her disappearance in 1937...hmmm 1937 plus 70 years equals....

Plus, if no copyright had been claimed originally so that they were freely published before then they are "in the public domain" and cannot be copyrighted retroactively. Even if there were a valid copyright one can use them for our purposes under the "fair use doctrine."
gl

Gary, that is sort of along the lines of what I thought but just checking. Didn't want us to get in trouble. The title page of the Earhart e-archives at Purdue says they can be used and even tells how they should be credited. A rather long tag which wouldn't fit too well here.  Thanks!!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »

The title page of the Earhart e-archives at Purdue says they can be used and even tells how they should be credited. A rather long tag which wouldn't fit too well here.

People really ought to provide a link to the sources of their images.

Give credit where credit is due.

It allows others to check the sources that posters are using.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 01:29:24 AM »

Sorry Marty. I'll do better as soon as I figure out how all of this stuff works!!!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »

I decided to check and it is a little more complicated than the simple 70 year rule and, depending on several things, the copyright might last 95 years because the Copyright Act has had changes over the years. But what I said is still true, the types of uses we make on this forum, even if they might still be covered by copyright, are permissible under the "fair use doctrine." But if somebody wants to use the Purdue pics in a book they are writing then they would have to make a more thorough investigation of the copyright status.
gl
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org