Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1282894 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #825 on: February 09, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »

Ric last one

in this photo to left of tree there is 2 items i have arrows pointing to are these Tighar's work tools
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #826 on: February 09, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »

Ric in the box i have highlighted it says amelia had fuel and oil pipes wrapped to prevent leaks

fuel was spotted at over 30 spots along her course ?

Member# 416

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:46:24 PM by richie conroy »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #827 on: February 09, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »

in this photo to left of tree there is 2 items i have arrows pointing to are these Tighar's work tools

I don't know.  I wasn't there when that photo was taken, but I think it's safe to say that those items are not crucial overlooked evidence in our Earhart investigation. (Sheeesh.)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #828 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »

I don't know.  I wasn't there when that photo was taken, but I think it's safe to say that those items are not crucial overlooked evidence in our Earhart investigation. (Sheeesh.)

Look more like sunlight shineing through vegitation but have you noticed Fred Tie  ;D

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #829 on: February 09, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »

"...fuel was spotted at over 30 spots along her course..."

To those who may not know, to "spot" fuel means to pre-position a supply of it at previously agreed-upon locations.  It does not mean there were fuel spills.
Cheers,
JohnO

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #830 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »

ahhhhh my bad sorry

shows what i know about planes  :-[

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #831 on: February 09, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »

Try them ---you'll like them!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #832 on: February 09, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »

watched too many air crash investigators  :o

been on 2 never again stick to goin to wales thank haha unless i go by boat  ;D

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #833 on: February 09, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »

I have possibly located engine number 2. If it is what I suspect it is then it throws into question the assumptions we have made regarding the black squiggly thing caught up in whatever it is that started this forum off. Why did we assume the black squiggly thing was a single object. Could it just as easily be a number of similarly shaped  black coloured objects caught up on whatever that forked thing is?
Jeff
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #834 on: February 10, 2012, 05:32:18 AM »

It appeared ( to me) to me a one piece squiggly thing, and unbroken. But, I've been wrong before.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #835 on: February 10, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »

Jeff H- Are you thinking the tie downs for the cabin tanks? I wouldn't expect them to all be gathered together in one place although I guess anything could happen. What might they be, if not one length of something?  LTM- John

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #836 on: February 10, 2012, 08:01:04 AM »

Jeff H- Are you thinking the tie downs for the cabin tanks? I wouldn't expect them to all be gathered together in one place although I guess anything could happen. What might they be, if not one length of something?  LTM- John
What I am investigating John is the possibility that, if it is the other engine a little further up the slope then, could we be looking at a gaggle of ignition leads wrapped around whatever the forked thing is?
I have requested some photos of the wasp junior with leads in place and, on the bench from some guys in the states who overhaul P and W wasp engines. See what happens.
Jeff
This must be the place

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #837 on: February 10, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »

Jeff H- I guess that's possible although they seem a little thick to me to be ignition leads. Without an indication of scale it is hard to guess. I work with old automobiles and not aircraft. Are the ignition leads firmly attached to a coil with the other end clipped to a spark plug on a radial engine or are both ends clipped. I'm thinking that if one end is firmly attached to the ignition source and that was pulled free then I could see all leads pulling from the spark plugs and the group staying together. If, like a car, one end is plugged into the distributor cap and the other to the plugs, I think it less likely that they stay as a group. LTM- John

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #838 on: February 10, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »

Jeff H- I guess that's possible although they seem a little thick to me to be ignition leads. Without an indication of scale it is hard to guess. I work with old automobiles and not aircraft. Are the ignition leads firmly attached to a coil with the other end clipped to a spark plug on a radial engine or are both ends clipped. I'm thinking that if one end is firmly attached to the ignition source and that was pulled free then I could see all leads pulling from the spark plugs and the group staying together. If, like a car, one end is plugged into the distributor cap and the other to the plugs, I think it less likely that they stay as a group. LTM- John
John, from what info I have been able to gather so far they were bolted to the spark plugs and were quite chunky but flexible enough to route them around a radial engine. The twisted copper strands used to make the conductor were fairly hefty, possibly enough to retain the shape of the routing. The insulation properties were extremely high obviously because of the high voltage so, again, possibly insulated enough to remain intact. Plus, they must be fairly robust to survive their location on the engine itself. I requested a photo of some ignition leads recently removed from an engine to see if they retain the shape of the routing they took in and around the engine when it was in service. Plus am searching through patents re ignition leads circa 1930- 1937 to get some specs for them.
In the object ROV footage there are a couple of frames where the ROVer isn't in full flight and, the black squiggly thing looks a bit thinner. A bit like the problem with the wire/rope/ cable in the same named ROVer footage. It's the same diameter all the way down but, when ROVer is
 in full flight it looks a lot thicker due to motion blurring effects.
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #839 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »

Jeff Victor
How about a post of the still of the 2nd engine up the slope?
Don't leave us here panting.  hehe
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org