Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283815 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #420 on: January 25, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »

Jeff
Before steps 2,3,and 4 can be done, ya gotta do step 1B., 1A being done, i.e. locate a debris field.
1B= Retrieve a piece of the debris that appears to be a man-made part of aircraft origin and bring it up to the surface for examination and analysis.  Too bad that wasn't included in the list of objectives of the ROV run.  I know, Hindsight is always 20/20.  But, we can always learn from experience.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #421 on: January 25, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »

Anyone got any pics of the nose cone AND hinge assembly?
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #422 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »

Jeff
Before steps 2,3,and 4 can be done, ya gotta do step 1B., 1A being done, i.e. locate a debris field.
1B= Retrieve a piece of the debris that appears to be a man-made part of aircraft origin and bring it up to the surface for examination and analysis.  Too bad that wasn't included in the list of objectives of the ROV run.  I know, Hindsight is always 20/20.  But, we can always learn from experience.

It's gonna be a big ask Harry to get something up from down there. I was waiting for step 2 to be confirmed first, is it aircraft? before going any further, if it isn't, well it's been fun. I have sent some emails off to see if I can get it confirmed. Got to extract as much from this video as possible.
Jeff
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #423 on: January 25, 2012, 12:09:17 PM »

Jeff
Check this out
SeaBotix makes an ROV  model vLBV300 that has a small arm on which is mounted what appears to be a cutting/shearing capability (two blades that can be moved like shears).  With a little modification the blades could be converted into a crude grasping tool with which some debris could be grasped and lifted into a basket-like container (with a lid of course) and brought up to the surface.

If you're gonna go down to look, ya might as well look with something that has the capability of bringing something up that looks promising.  In other words, work in parallel not in series.
No Worries Mates

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #424 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »

Harry, we all agree with that. But, its a matter of money, and the expense of the ROV capabilities, and the support ship and crew. Having a robotic ROV will be expensive. I'm sure Ric has those numbers, and cringes everytime he sees them.
My personal feeling is that IF what Richie, Jeff and others have found in the video & stills ARE parts of the Electra, then I would think that there would be a favorable response from folks with the capabilities (or $ to fund them) to bring up some of these targets. I am very optomistic that TIGHAR can raise the $$$ necessary.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #425 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

Jeff
Looking further into the SeaBotix vLBV300. I see that it is an ROV that has an option which they call "A Grabber" a three jaw option that does just that , it Grabs and holds things.
No Worries Mates

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #426 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »

Harry, we all agree with that. But, its a matter of money, and the expense of the ROV capabilities, and the support ship and crew. Having a robotic ROV will be expensive. I'm sure Ric has those numbers, and cringes everytime he sees them.
My personal feeling is that IF what Richie, Jeff and others have found in the video & stills ARE parts of the Electra, then I would think that there would be a favorable response from folks with the capabilities (or $ to fund them) to bring up some of these targets. I am very optomistic that TIGHAR can raise the $$$ necessary.
Tom

Agree with all you say Tom but, we need to get confirmation that it is aircraft wreckage (pending) and, it's still only aircraft wreckage, not an Electra, yet.
If it comes back as aircraft wreckage then I'll start fundraising big time to get Ric back there with all he needs.

Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #427 on: January 25, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »

Jeff
Looking further into the SeaBotix vLBV300. I see that it is an ROV that has an option which they call "A Grabber" a three jaw option that does just that , it Grabs and holds things.

Harry, It's a long shot but, if we can show that it's aircraft wreckage and, Electra then surely an American Agency would be interested in sponsoring Ric and the teams next mission?
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #428 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »

Anyone got any pics of the nose cone AND hinge assembly?

This is the type of shots I need but without the gentleman standing in front of the part I need to look at GGGRRRRR!!!

Help Ritchie!!
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:54:21 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #429 on: January 25, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »

Why is there always someone standing in front of the part I need to look at!!!!!
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #430 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »

Tom
Obviously we'll never get some "Daddy Warbucks" to fund the raising of The Electra unless and until he can be shown a piece if The Electra and a location of where the rest of it is lying. 
As long as another ROV scan is contemplated it might as well have the capability to bring up That Piece and the vLBV300-6 has that capability.

I look forward to seeing the Movie   EARHART produced by James Cameron of Titanic fame.
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #431 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »

u can see the wheel a bit better on this picture

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #432 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »

these any good for ye jeff
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #433 on: January 25, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »

these any good for ye jeff

Good work Richie. I need to see the inside of nose cone with hinge assembly similar to the photos I posted but without the dufuss stood in front of it.

Jeff
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #434 on: January 25, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »

Harry, we are thinking alike! I certainly would like t have the ROV bring up something that is no doubt from the Electra---gee part of the tail with the N number would be pretty conclusive. So, even though I didnt word it correctly, we are thinking the same thing.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org