Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1303158 times)

Phil T Martin

• TIGHAR member
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »

Though I have found this thread very interesting, and can see where a couple of the stills (the gear fork especially) makes one wonder if the ROV actually was filming bits of the Electra, I stop myself short of saying this stilll is a wheel, that still is a hatch or wing spar - to me that is reading into the picture a little too far. SOMETHING is there for sure, whether it is aircraft parts or just outrageous coral growth. Time will tell.
  Jeff Hayden's comment about the choice of a reef or lagoon landing being their's to make made me think; with all I have read about Amelia, her spirit and/or reckless abandon - I gotta believe she saw that reef and immediately pictured being found, refueling the Electra, and flying that sucker right back off of it to complete the trip to Howland. Failure was not an option - landing in the lagoon = end of trip, period. From the air, she may have thought the reef looked like it could sustain a landing and future take-off attempt. Just a thought...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:49:22 PM by Phil T Martin »

Randy Reid

• T1
« Reply #406 on: January 24, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »

Jeff,

I have done a bit of diving, on sand, rock, coral, and ships. I do have an idea about what years on the bottom does to materials from the surface.

I guess what I am getting at is, I think every statement on identification of the aircraft pieces in the stills should be prefaced by "to me it looks like".  The next observer might see something else.

trying hard not to offend anyone, I'm new here.

Randy

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »

Jeff,

I have done a bit of diving, on sand, rock, coral, and ships. I do have an idea about what years on the bottom does to materials from the surface.

I guess what I am getting at is, I think every statement on identification of the aircraft pieces in the stills should be prefaced by "to me it looks like".  The next observer might see something else.

trying hard not to offend anyone, I'm new here.

Randy

Point taken Randy. Any name given to something is arbitrary and, like you say different people see different things. All we are trying to do is to sort out what are natural objects from possible man made ones. I have no idea what I am looking at, it's in too many bits but, those bits have signs of man made origin. I have sent some of stills to be checked by an airframe fitter/aircraft restoration guy to see if we are working in the right direction. All comments in this forum are welcome so, don't be afraid to have your opinions. That's how we get the correct outcome. Nothing is for certain so all input is valuable.
P.S Are you any good at 300 metre diving?

Jeff
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #408 on: January 24, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »

Jeff Victor
You mentioned 5 stages in the path to identification and gave the first.  In your estimation, what are the next 4?
Any further expeditions must include the ability to capture, and bring to the surface for examination and analysis, pieces of the debris that are clearly man-made and suspected of being from an aircraft.  My first choice would be the piece that appears to be an RDF Antenna.

For what it's worth.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Randy Reid

• T1
« Reply #409 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »

Jeff,
only good to 150 feet, then not for very long. ROV or SUB is the answer at Nikumaroro. If only I were born rich instead of so good looking. ;)
Randy

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #410 on: January 24, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »

Jeff Victor
You mentioned 5 stages in the path to identification and gave the first.  In your estimation, what are the next 4?
Any further expeditions must include the ability to capture, and bring to the surface for examination and analysis, pieces of the debris that are clearly man-made and suspected of being from an aircraft.  My first choice would be the piece that appears to be an RDF Antenna.

For what it's worth.

Stages
1. Locate debris field, yes, go to 2
2. Is it aircraft debris, yes, go to 3
3. is it Electra debris, yes, go to 4
4. Is it AE and FN electra debris, yes, go to 5
5. Raise money and get that sucker up

Of course Harry if any of the outcomes are no then it's back to the drawing board. Could possibly, at a stretch, do 1 to 3 without having to get feet wet. 4 and 5 are the tough ones.
Anyhow I think we are done with stage one and are working on stage 2 now. (fingers crossed) :)

Jeff
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:07:08 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #411 on: January 24, 2012, 01:03:47 PM »

Though I have found this thread very interesting, and can see where a couple of the stills (the gear fork especially) makes one wonder if the ROV actually was filming bits of the Electra, I stop myself short of saying this stilll is a wheel, that still is a hatch or wing spar - to me that is reading into the picture a little too far. SOMETHING is there for sure, whether it is aircraft parts or just outrageous coral growth. Time will tell.
  Jeff Hayden's comment about the choice of a reef or lagoon landing being their's to make made me think; with all I have read about Amelia, her spirit and/or wreckless abandon - I gotta believe she saw that reef and immediately pictured being found, refueling the Electra, and flying that sucker right back off of it to complete the trip to Howland. Failure was not an option - landing in the lagoon = end of trip, period. From the air, she may have thought the reef looked like it could sustain a landing and future take-off attempt. Just a thought...
And a good one Phil which has been mentioned before. Shame that it didn't turn out that way for them both. It's a story full of if onlys i.e. radio communication, navigation etc...
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #412 on: January 24, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »

I have outlined some of the unusual bits of ? in this still

This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #413 on: January 24, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »

hope u guys can see these ok, its so hard to get these images visable but worth the wait  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #414 on: January 24, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

that was meant to say behind propeller  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #415 on: January 24, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »

To my mind the problem of the footage is that the ROV people and possibly TIGHAR in general have concentrated on the wire/rope (as I have done).  Then there is a group of people who are trying to look outside of the box so to speak.

Lookingin outside of the box you can see a 'pig head', 'clouds, 'aircraft peices' or anything else that you might want to see.  Until TIGHAR go back we just won't know but maybe, just maybe we are seening a debrise field and hundreds or thousands of feet below are engines.

Even TIGHAR missed Nessie so who knows?

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »

hope u guys can see these ok, its so hard to get these images visable but worth the wait  :)

Good work Richie, can you post the non inverted image as I am not at home at the moment so don't have access to ROV footage. Using I-pad :(
The wheel and strut looks promising though, lot of metalwork there.

Jeff
This must be the place

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #417 on: January 25, 2012, 05:10:47 AM »

Richie,  What you have highlighted in your last posts do resemble a wheel and strut. I'm going to guess that this was a dark area of the footage that you had to bring out, causing the more lit area to become whited out. The area that you have indicated as "fins behind the propeller" is very pixillated but, sitting back a bit, seems to have a semi-circular overall shape. Letting my imagination stretch a bit and continuing the curvature all the way around it strikes me that this could possibly be one of the engines. The photo of the Electra on its belly conveniently has the port side gear folded under next to the engine. Comparing the size of the wheel there to the engine shows a similarity in scale to the possible strut and engine in the still. Not saying that is what they are but impossible to say they aren't. Keep looking. If the plane is there it is possible to find something more definitive in the video.  LTM- John

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #418 on: January 25, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »

Yet more unexplained...
Have a look in the red box?
This must be the place

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #419 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »

In response to Jeff's reply #426 as to any guesses regarding "whoknows".jpg: 

Coiuld it be a headset. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org