Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283395 times)

Bessel P Sybesma

• T1
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »

This is the first picture I can see something without a good measure of wishful thinking / imagination - mind you, I'm not saying the things are not what we think they might be, I'm just not sure we're looking at shadows...

I'm just wondering about the enhancement - was that done using some objective rules, or by hand with the specific intent of highliting the wheel?

Anyway, what would be interesting right now is to have a composite made of the video, showing the entire area covered by the ROV, indicating what parts might have been identified and their exact location, to see if there is some sort of logical arrangement to them.  Surely if there are wingsections and control surfaces visible, then it is not unreasonable to have the other various bits and pieces still in a configuration that corresponds to the shape of the Electra...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:31:13 PM by Bessel P Sybesma »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #346 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »

yer ur right, an i was in middle of stitching snapshots of video footage together, when i realised in middle of doing it the video jumps from

blah blah 42 sec's to blah blah 37 sec's so have had to start again from scratch, an believe me each piece to knit into place exact takes at least 20 mins in photoshop so last 2 days of hard work down the drain

believe it or not 5 seconds of lost footage are a long time in this kind ov detective work  :( 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Bessel P Sybesma

• T1
« Reply #347 on: January 21, 2012, 06:00:30 PM »

yer ur right, an i was in middle of stitching snapshots of video footage together, when i realised in middle of doing it the video jumps from

blah blah 42 sec's to blah blah 37 sec's so have had to start again from scratch, an believe me each piece to knit into place exact takes at least 20 mins in photoshop so last 2 days of hard work down the drain

believe it or not 5 seconds of lost footage are a long time in this kind ov detective work  :(

Good man, looking forward to seeing the results of your hard work!

BTW does anyone know if an unedited version is available somewhere to cover that 5 seconds gap?  Or was it cut out because of picture loss or something?

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #348 on: January 21, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »

This is the first picture I can see something without a good measure of wishful thinking / imagination - mind you, I'm not saying the things are not what we think they might be, I'm just not sure we're looking at shadows...

I'm just wondering about the enhancement - was that done using some objective rules, or by hand with the specific intent of highliting the wheel?

Anyway, what would be interesting right now is to have a composite made of the video, showing the entire area covered by the ROV, indicating what parts might have been identified and their exact location, to see if there is some sort of logical arrangement to them.  Surely if there are wingsections and control surfaces visible, then it is not unreasonable to have the other various bits and pieces still in a configuration that corresponds to the shape of the Electra...

Won't be easy Bessel, we're not sure what it is yet and, it's in a million tiny bits. The 'wing' sections themselves are in thousands of bits, scattered around as in the still, only large 'intact' bit is the end of the control surface. Can't post hi-res photos on site, only jpeg. The terrain around the reef is murderous ( see what it did to the SS Norwich City) plus it's extremely deep water within a few hundred metres of the shore, 300 + metres. It's an extinct volcanic outcrop.
Jeff
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #349 on: January 21, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »

believe it or not,  in the pic av attached is  the way i look at images some times to work out wat am looking at  :)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »

that last post was in reply to jeff hayden's post   ;D

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »

Sure would be nice to see a chart of where the ROV began and ended the run  that we are looking  at.   Anyone know if and where one exists??

No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »

well goin bed it 5am

an just thought would post the evidence to prove it the electra

nite all

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »

its bottom to top annotice there is only 1 under belly antenna wire  :)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

if am correct in the finding amelia on discovery channel u see the underwater reef footage before the cable becomes faulty if we can get time on video ov that point an were the ship is based at outer reef we cud narrow it down

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »

notice the times on video that shows time it takes to get 1 end to other

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »

well in my eyes it's the electra cos thats the only plane wid belly antenna to go down near by.... even thou there is only 1 instead of 2 metal wires think it makes sense

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #357 on: January 22, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »

believe it or not,  in the pic av attached is  the way i look at images some times to work out wat am looking at  :)

Interesting - it seems to work for you.

You have a lot of patience, Richie - very interesting details in the stills.

I 'get' Jeff Hayden's 'clever coral' remark a bit better with regard to the 'wheel' (slow sometimes...) - it IS a very odd formation of 'coral'...

There is a great deal of 'snow' (sediment) down there.  Sitting here in Seattle for the past 5 days and observing the biggest snow and ice storm they've had in 30 years from my hotel window, it is cool to watch how the snow slowly hides many things and leaves tell-tale features evident.  I'm bored, yes - and perhaps a bit slow where snow is concerned too, being from south Georgia... but sure enough, if coral doesn't grow on tires so well, sediment probably does accumulate well if the the parent item stays put long enough.  If that's not sediment on something that looks like a tailwheel, it is one fascinating and 'clever coral' formation, for damn sure.

If you 'know' what you are looking at under there, or know where it should be (like my rented Silverado...), the snow doesn't necessarily hide things so effectively.  Very basic, I realize, but that (and time on my hands) made me think more about the sediment in the ROV footage.  There is a light dusting of 'snow' (sediment) on the 'rope' at around frame 13:36:22:05 +/- - what's odd is that the later of sediment seems so light. 

But, looking at around frame 13:37:44:29 there is what appears like 'wear' on the 'rock' in one area where the 'rope' stretches across it.  Makes me wonder if the rope has been in movement enough to keep heavy sediment from staying on it - probably so.  Can rope 'wear' rock?  Nylon rope can wear many thing, and limestone is relatively soft.  Cable might too (and cable also wears more quickly than nylon against some things - so I can't conclude anything much here...).  There is another appearance of 'wear' on an odd looking tubular object (almost vase-like) around frame 13:38:22:07 - I wonder what that thing is?  Almost bell-mouthed with the 'rope' cutting across it.

There is a another tell-tale feature on the 'rope' just before it apparently 'splits off' into two pieces (as if a splice - and maybe this is the base of a loop in the rope) - looks like a ferrule or swage of some sort on the 'rope' - right at frame 13:38:58:16 +/-.

None of this screams "AIRPLANE" to me, but perhaps looking at some of these features can help others appreciate the environment down there and what it does to stuff and how stuff might hide / partially hide.  I have not re-reviewed all of Jeff Hayden's and richie's good stills work, but some if not all of what I mention may already be here somewhere.  Excellent stills work pulling from the tape guys.  Plus, maybe some of the tell-tale features like the swage or ferrule will help identify what the rope might really be.  I admit that I had to fight off any urge to see it as a cable swage right away...  ;)

I also admit the 'tailwheel' has a tendency to keep me going back... that is a very clever chunk of coral, Jeff Hayden, you were right in saying that.  It may even keep me up a bit late.

One thing that becomes more clear to me as I go back through the tape is how dynamic that area has been, for whatever reasons - natural, man-made stuff of some weight crunching down over it, both, whatever - it is a grinder as has been pointed out a number of times.  TIGHAR's probably tried to explain that already, but it comes home even more now.  Maybe it will be the smaller, durable chunks that tell the story one day.  I think it will take a lot of the kind of work you guys are trying to do to find out - excellent.

LTM -
A well written posting Jeff and I agree with all you say. The bit that needs to be emphasized is None of this screams "AIRPLANE" exactly. Most of this could be from anything at all, we need to find something that can ONLY be airplane. I mentioned in an earlier post that I will show a couple of the stills to a retired airframe fitter and now, aircraft restoration. The ones I will show are not the 'could be a' strut, wheel etc... but the ones showing bits of alloy/tin/metal etc..
he should be able to say yay or nay. I think they are restoring a Harrier jump jet at the moment, one of the Falkland Island conflict veterans.
Jeff
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »

i think this could be a propeller blade what's other people's opinions ?

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »

does this resemble part of a mono wing to any 1 ?

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org