Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1282963 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #945 on: February 19, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »

Guys, since the Electra was a "commercial grade" aircraft, the two windshields may have been tempered and or safety glass. I don't know when they started using glass for the windshields or what it would look like after all those years in the surf. Just my thoughts.
That sounds about right Woody but, also bear in mind there were other windows on the Electra (or whatever plane it is down there) on the side of the fuselage and one put into the door I believe. In the pics we posted of 'looking into the cockpit' there is something there that reflects the light from ROVer which could possibly indicate remains of windshield.
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #946 on: February 19, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »

Guys, since the Electra was a "commercial grade" aircraft, the two windshields may have been tempered and or safety glass. I don't know when they started using glass for the windshields or what it would look like after all those years in the surf. Just my thoughts.
That sounds about right Woody but, also bear in mind there were other windows on the Electra (or whatever plane it is down there) on the side of the fuselage and one put into the door I believe. In the pics we posted of 'looking into the cockpit' there is something there that reflects the light from ROVer which could possibly indicate remains of windshield.

Jeff, I agree with what you say. I have wondered myself about the reflections. They are really obvious to me in this ROV still.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #947 on: February 19, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »

The other radio operator, Leo Bellarts, who logged "BUT GAS IS RUNNING LOW"  also said:

Sounds like somebody running on fumes doesn't it, not somebody with a large fuel reserve left in the plane. I have missed instrument approaches and have had to divert to an alternate and I never went into hysterics because I DID HAVE A FUEL RESERVE to use on the way to the alternate. What about you, Jeff, did you ever get hysterical after you missed an approach and had to go to your alternate, using your fuel reserve?

gl

No Gary, and I cannot imagine any circumstance in which I would break into such hysteria - but if you know that no fuel reserve is precisely THE condition that would do that to you, and YOU believe that is precisely the condition that would do so to AE, more power to you. 

I been pretty low on fuel on occasions so, like you, I have never panicked in that situation. I only brought up Bellart's observation as it adds support to what was logged, "BUT GAS IS RUNNING LOW" and "SEZ RUNNING OUT OF GAS ONLY 1/2 HR LEFT,"  since it is reasonable to deduce that a pilot, running on fumes in the middle of the Pacific, is more likely to "panic" than a similarly situated pilot sitting on a lot of extra fuel.

gl
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:39:12 PM by Gary LaPook »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #948 on: February 19, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »

I have been looking at some of the old ROV reef pictures that Richie posted earlier and was wondering if the items circled in the reef picture could be the switches circled on the instrument panel?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #949 on: February 19, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »

Another, of Richie's pictures, could the circled items in the reef picture be the mixture control levers circled in the cockpit picture?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #950 on: February 19, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

And one last one, could the object at the red arrow in the reef photo be one of the rudder pedals partially shown in the cockpit photo?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #951 on: February 19, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »

been looking at this still again, wondering what the grid like object could be next to pipe an look at this earlier image of electra ?

think it is random the pipe being next to grid object as the fuel tanks would have buttered up to that  :)

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #952 on: February 20, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »

Again, if you believe AE "spashed down" near Howland...or anywhere for that matter...then you have to ignore ALL other evidence:  Who made the distress calls, whose bones, whose compact, whose Capana Italian Balm, whose rouge, whose knife, all from the mid '30's.  So who was living at "7site"?  If you are so sure of the "spash down" theory, then you might focus on explaining away the findings on Niku. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #953 on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

Dan
Nor sure why this is in this thread but... Somewhere on the forum (I'll look for it ) I read about a Mr Langdon who was on the Islandwith his wife and "an American lady visitor" that was with them.  A possible source of the items?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #954 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »

Dan
Nor sure why this is in this thread but... Somewhere on the forum (I'll look for it ) I read about a Mr Langdon who was on the Islandwith his wife and "an American lady visitor" that was with them.  A possible source of the items?

Harry, there are several things in this thread that I don't know why are there but I guess it will eventually get sorted out. Some interesting reading though.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #955 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »

Woody, here's the thing inside the 'cockpit' that reflected the lights from ROVer.
Plexi? Glass? Squid?
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #956 on: February 20, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

Jeff, Any ideas?? Think it could be that plexiglas? I just noticed 3 other items in the picture that I hadn't noticed before. The don't look natural to me. Circled them in yellow.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #957 on: February 20, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »

how do yous not see them letter's

av got arrows pointing too them and it clearly reads  _-_-_-_-_

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #958 on: February 20, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »

Jeff, Any ideas?? Think it could be that plexiglas? I just noticed 3 other items in the picture that I hadn't noticed before. The don't look natural to me. Circled them in yellow.
Sure is a shed load of stuff to look at in this pic Woody
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #959 on: February 20, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »

Jeff, I agree 100%. Too many things there for all of them to be "natural". Just my opinion and you know how those are, but I think this site is part of the cockpit area "an aircraft".  I have trouble not saying "the Electra". Too many coincidences.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org