Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding Amelia by Ric Gillespie  (Read 61073 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Finding Amelia by Ric Gillespie
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »

OK, my check is in the mail (with a little extra for beer and the all-important incidentals).

Who's with me? This thing isn't going to get done by itself, it's a group effort!

LTM,
#2189CE
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:08:50 PM by Monty Fowler »

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »

I'm in already. Just have to get the cheque into the mail.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »

The Search for Amelia site mentions G.P. Putnam doing an independent search of the Gilbert Islands and the Marshall Islands. Is the report on this available somewhere? It would be very interesting to read his opinions and his search methods.

Putnam did not do an independent search of the Gilbert Islands and the Marshall Islands.  He wanted to but couldn't raise the money.  It's an interesting story that I;ll cover in the book.

Capt. Irving Johnson investigated the Gilbert Islands , 1939 , on behalf of The Amelia Earhart Foundation , no testimony but a fly over @ Tabietuea has  been recorded . The ship was Yankee of Gloucester .

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:11 AM »

Capt. Irving Johnson investigated the Gilbert Islands , 1939 , on behalf of The Amelia Earhart Foundation , no testimony but a fly over @ Tabietuea has  been recorded . The ship was Yankee of Gloucester .
Do you have any leads to get more details on this investigation? I think I have heard of it, I don't remember where. My impression is that no thorough search was ever made on the Gilberts, but I don't know what the reasoning for this was among the Navy, Coast Guard, G.P. Putnam. Maybe it was simply lack of money.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »

Do you have any leads to get more details on this investigation? I think I have heard of it, I don't remember where. My impression is that no thorough search was ever made on the Gilberts, but I don't know what the reasoning for this was among the Navy, Coast Guard, G.P. Putnam. Maybe it was simply lack of money.
Details, we've got details -- tons and tons of details!:  Check out the extensive contents of the Ameliapedia.  Enter "Irving Johnson" in the search box and you'll find what you seek:  an article named "Search by the Yankee."
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »

Type "Irving Johnson" in google , he reported his experiences in a letter , he visited a row of islands , but found no trace of the Earhart crew or aircraft . An A/c was heard over Tabiteuea in the night of July 2 , but no time indication was acquired .

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »

Thanks, guys, I'll check those sources.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »

Johnson was in the Phoenix Group in late April 1940 - about the time that the skull was discovered on Gardner - but he didn't call at any of the inhabited islands (Gardner, Hull, and Sydney) because he didn't have clearance from the British.  Another near-miss.

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »

I am in the Literary Guild! Can hardly wait to read the new book.

:)

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »

I haven't heard anything about the new book in a while. I imagine it was put on the back burner when planning for the July expedition heated up. Any news on the status of the Volume II project?
It's not too late to be great.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »

Finding time to work on the book is really tough with everything that has been, and is now, going on.  Doing the best I can.

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

When is the book Finding Amelia II expected to be published? The scope and publication process of the second volume of Finding Amelia primarily depends not just the results of the Niku VII (e.g. discovery of the debris field north of the Norwich City wreck) but also the course and scope of Niku VIII.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »

When is the book Finding Amelia II expected to be published?

I can't give you an expected publication date.  I'm still struggling with what the scope of the book should be.  The trouble with writing a book about an on-going investigation is that, as soon as you finalize the manuscript something invariably happens that makes the manuscript obsolete.  A few days before the recent event in Indianapolis I updated the Powerpoint I had used for the similar event in Chicago in September.  I was amazed at how much I had to change.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »

Ric,

Just a thought, but maybe with all that has gone of late - a major expedition, lots of public review of what is attractive or not in footage, etc., then a lawsuit, and now some generous soul covering what remains of that for us (thank you whomever it was!) and realizing Niku VIII won't be happening in this year (apparently, as I write) - it seems like there might be a lot of story to tell by now.

Maybe not the story we hoped for at this point, but maybe something fresh about all the ground that has been covered since Lit Guild II was announced?

There must be a rich story in your mind about all that has been done - Niku VII and the twists and turns of the ongoing search seem to have become part of the story too.  And of course there's some vibe about 2-2-V-1, wherever that ultimately takes us (which could be another book, perhaps, I suppose time will tell).

I don't suggest this as a dead end, but as a cleansing breath by which we might all (public in mind) absorb the many things that have happened over the past few years and take a sharp look at what can be next. 

Just a thought.  Curious as to yours on this.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »

Just a thought, but maybe with all that has gone of late - a major expedition, lots of public review of what is attractive or not in footage, etc., then a lawsuit, and now some generous soul covering what remains of that for us (thank you whomever it was!) and realizing Niku VIII won't be happening in this year (apparently, as I write) - it seems like there might be a lot of story to tell by now.

There is indeed a whole lot of story to tell but at what point do you stop and write what you know so far? The story changes almost daily and you can only see the significance of events in the rear-view mirror.  The best we can do right now is write up new developments as Research Bulletins. Pulling it all together into a single narrative will be a monumental task.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org