Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding Amelia by Ric Gillespie  (Read 61055 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Finding Amelia by Ric Gillespie
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »

When the time comes, I'm in, just like the first go-around.

Monty is referring to the TIGHAR Literary Guild.  When I was writing the first book we published draft chapters in TIGHAR Tracks and asked for comments. We asked TIGHAR members to join the TIGHAR Literary Guild by pre-purchasing signed copies of the book for $100. The response was phenomenal.  We actually brought in more funding from the Guild than we got as an advance from the publisher.

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »

When something works then don't change it. Just tell me how to sign up. That's two committed.

I hear a gauntlet hitting the floor.  :)
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »

When something works then don't change it. Just tell me how to sign up. That's two committed.
I hear a gauntlet hitting the floor.  :)

Okay. Two is a mandate. (I'm easy.) Tomorrow we'll put the TIGHAR Literary Guild II up on the website.  I'll post a link here when it's up.

We're gonna need more than your money. I'll need help researching the first part of this book.  I can reconstruct Part Two (all the TIGHAR stuff) no problem; but I am not as familiar with all the ins and outs and the who-did-what-when of Japanese Capture and Crashed & Sank. 

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »

Great decision Ric!!  I will sign up to the guild as soon as available. Please let me know how I can help.

Thanks
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 09:05:24 AM »

There were four deep water searches and a revival of the Irene Bolam nonsense.

Searched for Amelia Earhart from search for Amelia Web Site don't remember coming across this one before - Timmer/Williamson Search but a quick Google on the main site and bingo Race to find Amelia

Rics comment just piqued my curiosity :)

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »

Ric,
Put together an outline of the info you need help on and I am sure you will get pleanty of help on this part of the "new book."
Ted Campbell

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »

The amateur historian in me thinks a history of Earhart Explanations certainly sounds like an interesting project.  The even more amateur marketer in me wonders if it would generate enough sales and be able to find a publisher.  Or is Amelia Earhart one of those topics so popular that any book on the subject will make a buck?  Perhaps so, judging by some of the nonsense that's made it to print so far...
It's not too late to be great.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »

The amateur historian in me thinks a history of Earhart Explanations certainly sounds like an interesting project.  The even more amateur marketer in me wonders if it would generate enough sales and be able to find a publisher.  Or is Amelia Earhart one of those topics so popular that any book on the subject will make a buck?  Perhaps so, judging by some of the nonsense that's made it to print so far...

From a marketing standpoint I think the strength of the book will be the comprehensive recitation of TIGHAR's evidence in Part II. It's something that has been needed for a long time. 

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »

Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor, and actually something I may have some skills or knowledge to contribute to.  In fact, I'm an officer in an aerospace professional society and recently proposed writing a series of articles on Amelia Earhart theories for upcoming newsletters in honor of the 75th anniversary.  I'm thinking of 4 parts, with the last published in July.
It's not too late to be great.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »

In fact, I'm an officer in an aerospace professional society and recently proposed writing a series of articles on Amelia Earhart theories for upcoming newsletters in honor of the 75th anniversary.  I'm thinking of 4 parts, with the last published in July.

Sounds like we'll be asking many of the same questions.  This forum can be a great tool for sharing research.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »

The TIGHAR Literary Guild is now up and running on the TIGHAR website.  Your support will be greatly appreciated.

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »

The Search for Amelia site mentions G.P. Putnam doing an independent search of the Gilbert Islands and the Marshall Islands. Is the report on this available somewhere? It would be very interesting to read his opinions and his search methods.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »

The Search for Amelia site mentions G.P. Putnam doing an independent search of the Gilbert Islands and the Marshall Islands. Is the report on this available somewhere? It would be very interesting to read his opinions and his search methods.

Putnam did not do an independent search of the Gilbert Islands and the Marshall Islands.  He wanted to but couldn't raise the money.  It's an interesting story that I;ll cover in the book.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »

From a marketing standpoint I think the strength of the book will be the comprehensive recitation of TIGHAR's evidence in Part II. It's something that has been needed for a long time. 

Recommend that you make it clear that the evidence that your are presenting is pursuant to the rules of evidence and is consistent with the scientific approach that you have stated that is being used to test the hypothesis. The evidence should be chronology listed as evidentiary exhibits along with the commentary that explains the relevance.  The burden of proof is on you to convince the court of public opinion. To do so, your argument will have to ascend from the level of preponderance of evidence to the level of clear and convincing.  Arguments are legally presented in the form of a legal brief with a memorandum of law is support. Of course, this is probably not what you would want to do as legal citations are meaningless to the layman. 

If you have access to a law library, I would suggest research on the rules of evidence and the law that construes those rules. The Hornbook series is very good as is the Corpus Juris Secundum. Your evidentiary argument must be presented with precision as I am sure there will be many who will be ready to shoot holes in your case. There are those who think that you are a fraud and that your project is nothing but a pretext to solicit money for profit. 

I am not quite sure that your evidence thus far is sufficient to make a clear and convincing argument, however, it can be argued that the body of circumstantial evidence supports the inference that Earhart landed on Gardner Island sometime in the morning of July 2, 1937.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 06:08:05 AM »

Recommend that you make it clear that the evidence that your are presenting is pursuant to the rules of evidence and is consistent with the scientific approach that you have stated that is being used to test the hypothesis.

Thanks Bill but, as I said earlier, the book will not be a polemic - that is, it will not make an argument for a particular theory. I'll try to present an accurate, insightful, and entertaining account of the various attempts to the solve the mystery, the methodologies and logic employed, and the results achieved. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org