Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream  (Read 661956 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »

During the Niku VI expedition we found a small broken jar (designated TIGHAR Artifact 2-9-S-1) of rather distinctive design.  The jar is of a type known as an "ointment pot" and markings embossed on the bottom show that it was made by the Hazel-Atlas Glass Company.  Further research has shown that the jar matches Hazel-Atlas design No. 1995. The only product we have found advertised that appears to have used this style of container is Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream, an ointment intended to fade freckles. It was marketed from 1892 until 1961. Earhart is known to have been concerned about her freckles.

From Amelia: A Life of the Aviation Legend, by Goldstein and Dillon.

This refers to the New York ticker tape parade after the "Friendship" flight:
"As photographers snapped, several spectators, eager for a glimpse of the famous bob, sang out 'Take off you hat, Amelia!' She made a little face, but obligingly removed her modish straw cloche. Tossing it to Muriel, she remarked ruefully, 'Here's where I get sixty more freckles on my poor nose, I guess!'" (page 62)

Check your grandmother's medicine cabinet. We would very much like to find an existing jar of Dr. Berry's Freckle Ointment for direct comparison to TIGHAR Artifact 2-9-S-1.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:59:44 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Kevin Weeks

• T3
Re: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »

just did a quickie google search on the stuff and found it listed in the american medical bureau's list of mercury containing skin applications  ???

any chance there were traces of mercury in the bottle??

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »

any chance there were traces of mercury in the bottle??

There's no sign of any kind of residue in the bottle.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »

Check your grandmother's medicine cabinet. We would very much like to find an existing jar of Dr. Berry's Freckle Ointment for direct comparison to TIGHAR Artifact 2-9-S-1.

There's a real estate agent in Dallas who claims to use this product.  She's quoted as saying, "I use a lot of baby oil, and also a cream that my mother has used all of her life and she is 72 years old with skin prettier than mine. It's called Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream."
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:39:41 PM by Bruce Thomas »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »

I called the agency.  Carolyn Shamis died this past year but one of her employees is going to try to find out if her jar of Freckle Cream is still around.  I'm sure it was one of the weirdest phone calls she has ever received but she was great about it and is eager to help.

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »

You might try contacting Rich and Penn auctions and find out who bought the lot below:
http://www.icollector.com/Beauty-products-16-La-Jean-Hair-Pomade-w-Black-graphics-Mogro-Hair-Straightener-Dermatol-Cosmet_i9373952

edit:  On second thought, looking at the image closely, the jar isn't the same.  So it looks like Dr. Berry used a mix of containers to peddle his product.

edit 2:  On third thought there is a box under the jar in the image that also has a Dr. Berry logo on it.  It's hard to tell if the box contained the jar or if it contains a larger jar in it.  Here is a better image of it:
http://www.icollector.com/images/238/17468/17468_0097_1_lg.jpg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:05:23 PM by Mark Petersen »

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »

Try googling
Nostrums and quackery: Articles on the nostrum evil and quackery ... - Google Books ResultAmerican Medical Association - 1912 - Medical
Berry's Freckle Ointment This ointment was marketed by Dr. CH Berry Co., Chicago and New ... Beauty
   on this report on quackery 1912 there is a label of the jar.  Mike Piner

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »

From Mike Piner;
   correction----google Dr Berrys Freckle Cream, then go down about six items, find "Nostrems and Quackery...1912.   Hope this works for you see picture of the Label..Mike

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »

Wow, that jar is convincing evidence! Is there any chance there might be DNA on/in the jar?

Willem Janszoon

• T1
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 12:16:09 AM »

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 01:13:38 PM »

There seems to be two (possibly) operations with Berry's Freckle Cream.  one is associated with Chicago Ill. the orther that I came across may be a continuation of the other. "...Mrs Ella R, Berry studied medicine and chemestry in 1888.  ...began manufacturing products of patient medicinesand toilet preparations in New Orleans.  ...she moved her business to St. Louis.
  From a Googled source.   Mike Piner

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »

A quick Google  shows that there is an online forum of Hazel-Atlas Depression Glass collectors at: http://www.hazelatlasglass.com/

Perhaps an inquiry there might find someone with a Dr. Berry's pot in their collection?

Also, is there anyway to find and access the Hazel-Atlas books to see what other products might have been marketed in this particular jar design?

....TB
TIGHAR #3159R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »

A quick Google  shows that there is an online forum of Hazel-Atlas Depression Glass collectors

We're checking but the collectors are mostly interested in dinnerware, not bottles.

Also, is there anyway to find and access the Hazel-Atlas books to see what other products might have been marketed in this particular jar design?

Hazel-Atlas Glass went out of business in 1956.  The chances of finding the company records would seem to be remote.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »

I called the agency.  Carolyn Shamis died this past year but one of her employees is going to try to find out if her jar of Freckle Cream is still around.  I'm sure it was one of the weirdest phone calls she has ever received but she was great about it and is eager to help.

There is no doubt the jar is a match.  But it must confirmed that AE purchased that particular brand of Freckle Cream.  This information has to be somewhere.  Old shopping list, inventory, a picture, something, someone. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »

The jar is a match but we don't know whether that design was also used for another product.  So far, the Freckle Cream is the only match bit research continues.  Unfortunately, AE's shopping lists do not appear to have been archived.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org