Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New way to find any remaining bones?  (Read 14832 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
New way to find any remaining bones?
« on: June 16, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »

If this dog works as advertised it might be useful at the seven site

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/19436

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: New way to find any remaining bones?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »

Cadaver dogs have been suggested before but not a dog trained in searching for Archaeological remains.

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »

Hello, I actually posted an article a while ago on the same dog. http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,508.msg22174.html#msg22174  Ric brings up a lot of good points, relating to the risks of bringing dogs to Niku. Sure is interesting to imagine what could be found if a dog was present at the 7 site. With so many clues pointing to possible underwater evidence, I wonder how much ground operations will actually go into Niku VIII.
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:23:42 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »

That was a long thread :)

Ric said
Cadaver dogs can definitely find old bones - no doubt about that - but we'd need a team of dogs and handlers and accommodating their special needs would have a major impact on the cost and capabilities expedition.  Niku is a harsh environment for a dog and cadaver dogs are valuable.  What do you do if a dog gets hurt of sick?  Do you abort the expedition to get the dog to a vet or do you bring along a veterinarian and further reduce your ground team? The larger issue is the question of whether it's reasonable to think that there are bones to find after all this time and, if there are, what are the chances that they would do us any good?  DNA experts are dubious that bones lying on the surface for 75 years in that environment would have recoverable DNA.  We'd be gambling that the dogs cold find bones that somehow had gotten buried.  That's quite a gamble.  We're considering all of these factors in deciding whether cadaver dogs should be part of Niku VIII.

My hope would be that if the Sonar Target was the Electra then enough $$$$ would be available for a return to the Seven Site and possible search for the remains of AE/FN

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:36:40 AM »

Jimmie.  I didn't see your earlier post. I searched the forum for the word "dog" and got no hits so I posted my message, after I saw your post I went back again and found that searching for "dogs" gave numerous hits including your post.  I do usually search before I post to avoid reposting previous material, but it does seem the forum search engine parameters are set rather strictly

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »

Jimmie.  I didn't see your earlier post. I searched the forum for the word "dog" and got no hits so I posted my message, after I saw your post I went back again and found that searching for "dogs" gave numerous hits including your post.  I do usually search before I post to avoid reposting previous material, but it does seem the forum search engine parameters are set rather strictly

Matt, no worries, I have been guilty of the same thing. I think that it's a great link. It's amazing to me that this dog finds it's targets with100% accuracy!! Amazing!! Chris, thank you for quoting Ric's quote. I probably should have included that.. I'm with you Chris, I sincerely hope that TIGHAR has the opportunity to comb the seven sight once again.. If I were to attend TIGHAR'S field school, I would happily volunteer to do the hot, and sweaty work of brush clearing. I guarantee no one could keep up with me.. That's right, guaranteed..  ;D  ;)
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:03:29 PM by Jimmie Tyler »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org