Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob Ballard to search for Earhart plane  (Read 64034 times)

Leon R White

• TIGHAR member
Re: Bob Ballard to search for Earhart plane
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »

Ted,
TIGHAR has made its public information available to the public for free all these years.  NG is not looking for AE, they're making a television show - let's not confuse objectives. They'll have a show either way.  They're using the TIGHAR public information like everyone else has over the 30+ years. It is inappropriate to try and charge one group for use of the information after giving it away for free for all this time. We've already been in some of the cat-bird seats by being here and discussing, reading, and working as this all unfolded.

I agree it would be great to be sitting on the shoulders of the searchers, but we've never had that in real time. Our collective relationship to TIGHAR is as donors, volunteers, and customers. We've never had an ownership interest that would entitle us to some special treatment.  But I too wish we could be on their shoulders . . .

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »

Thanks Leon.  That's what I ment, let's share the information.

Re your other point concerning TIGHAR's open info. what does "All Rights Reserved" mean on TIGHAR's publications?
Ted

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 06:50:00 AM »

From John Gubata via email:

I tried to register but at login I receive an error message stating the my email address must first be validated.

I just wanted to pass on to the members this screenshot  taken on August 9th at 1 am EST from the https://www.vesselfinder.com/ website which is showing the location of the E/V Nautilus at Nikumaroro.

It's been hard to get current information on Dr. Ballard's expedition to Nikumaroro Island but it is possible to track the Nautilus' AIS beacon. I've been following the ship since it's departure from Apia, American Samoa on Tuesday/Wednesday to it's present location off Nikumaroro where it arrived within the last 8 hours.

Well.....guess what?

Although the stated itinerary called first for a mapping survey of the island's surrounding area, the ship has dropped anchor at the precise location where TIGHAR believes Earhart's aircraft landed and was subsequently washed away down slope.

Wasting no time. The blue dot may be a ROV.

I hope the other forum followers will find this as exciting as I do.

Many thanks to Rick and all the other TIGHAR members for this remarkable journey of deductive reasoning and hard core research.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:21:20 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »

Well done, John Gubata!

Welcome aboard.

Bill Mangus
Researcher #3054SP

Walt Holm

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »

Hi Marty:

Thanks for the tip on tracking the AIS beacons of the ships.

Today I noticed that the Nautilus moved down into the vicinity of the landing channel, and then later in the day moved back up to the vicinity of the Norwich City.  I'm wondering if what's going on is that in the morning they are supporting mapping tasks with the autonomous surface vehicle (ASV) and aerial drones, and then later in the day they shift to ROV work, which can continue throughout the night.  Lather rinse and repeat every day.

The last time I checked the site you linked, there was a second ship there.  Perhaps the ship with the land team has arrived?

Walt Holm

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »

Hi Marty:

Now that I went back and re-read your post from early this morning, you noted a second AIS contact then as well.  That's a bit puzzling to me.  With the two-ROV stack that Nautilus uses (Argus and Hercules), nothing stays on the surface.  Perhaps their ASV has an AIS transponder, but why would it have been deployed when you posted, which was still nighttime at Niku?  Interesting.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 10:34:41 PM »

I'm puzzled by what the icons represent on the map too. If you change the map setting from Standard to Navionics at the upper right you can see(as of the past few hours) the red triangle and blue dot are on the reef flat, SE of the Norwich City wreck.  If that position is accurate, I think it's too shallow to be the Nautilus. The red triangle also labels as "yacht/ sailing vessel" and the blue dot labels as "other type/ auxiliary" when you pass the cursor over it. There is another icon for an unknown ship that's been about 62 NM W/SW for a while.
3971R

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:38:07 PM by Greg Daspit »

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2019, 07:43:28 AM »

I believe the blue dot represents the satellite position.
Rick

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »

I don't know any more than you guys about what Nautilus doing, but I can't make sense of the AIS positions for the arrow head and the blue dot as of 10:00am Eastern time today.
The attached overlay of a satellite image on the "standard map" shows the arrow head close in to the reef edge just off Tatiman Passage.  That can't be Nautilus.  Waaay too close to the reef.  The blue dot could be Nautilus but it's way south of our primary search area west of the Bevington Object location (Bev).

A similar overlay of the AIS "navionics" map shows the arrow head up on the reef flat and the blue dot virtually at the reef edge.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »

Hi Marty:

Thanks for the tip on tracking the AIS beacons of the ships.

I'm not the source.  I was just forwarding the post from email. 

I don't know whether our correspondent has signed up with TIGHAR so that he can post in his own name ...
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »

I don't know whether our correspondent has signed up with TIGHAR so that he can post in his own name ...

Not yet.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-174.539/centery:-4.664/zoom:15
This site has at least one ship in a place that makes sense. Maybe the other is a small boat for land team operations?
3971R

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:28:21 PM by Greg Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »

Maybe the other is a small boat for land team operations?

The land team is on a separate ship due to arrive late tomorrow.

Randy Jacobson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »

Question:
In all of the news and media reports about this search, I have yet to see a reference to Kiribati approval and/or a representative aboard the vessel, which every TIGHAR trip had to have.  I would hope NG and company would do so, but it does seem to be politically insensitive to not mention the governing and sanctioning body for the trip.  Or...did I miss something entirely?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »

Or...did I miss something entirely?
No, you didn't miss anything.  None of the press reports I've seen mention that Ballard and National Geographic had to get a permit from the government of Kiribati or that Kiribati required that they have an official letter of approval from TIGHAR before the permit was granted.  There is a Kiribati representative aboard Nautilus.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2019 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org