Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Hail Mary Analysis  (Read 181464 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: Hail Mary Analysis
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »

Only in the sense that dealing with the lawsuit and the technical challenges of underwater searches has left little time for other projects.  The Devastator Project has been essentially in a holding pattern for the past fews years due to procedural and diplomatic complications and delays involving the U.S. Navy, Texas A&M University, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands.  If recovering a TBD-1 from Jaluit lagoon was just an engineering problem we would have had the airplane out of there long ago.. The Maid of Harlech has not been recovered primarily because nobody wants it.
TIGHAR's oldest project, the search for l'Oiseau Blanc (the White Bird) of Charles Nungesser and Francois Coli, has been dormant for several years but is about to reawaken.  Watch for the next issue of TIGHAR Tracks.

For sure, the last three years have been difficult.

Ric,

There is no question that there have been challenges, but you show amazing resiliency.

A former member has raised questions that have also actually occurred to me about other projects, especially the Devastaters.  You mentioned 'holding pattern' above, but evidently some effort has gone into that behind the scenes -

TIGHAR's IRS 990 forms reveal the following expenditures on that project:

2011     $22,337
     2012       42,906
     2013       90,148
                 ----------
     Total    $155,391

Because the expenditures have been substantial and grown, can you elaborate on "holding pattern"?  You mention some substantial other fingers in that pie - was there a great deal of off-board effort invested as the filing suggests?  I don't recall discussion of that in the forum, but do recall an announcement of a couple of years ago that there was some new prospect coming.

Thanks for sharing what you can on this, I'm sure it would be appreciated by those who contribute and share your hopes.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2015, 09:18:13 AM »

You mentioned 'holding pattern' above, but evidently some effort has gone into that behind the scenes

Yes, there was considerable "behind the scenes" activity in 2011-13.  Nothing much since then.
Since its inception in 2003, the Devastator Project has been sponsored almost exclusively by grants from the family foundation of one of TIGHAR's board members. At his request we have not publicized activity on that project beyond the material that is on the TIGHAR website nor have we solicited additional funding from the TIGHAR membership.  It's a complex and difficult project from an engineering standpoint and a delicate one from a political and diplomatic perspective.  Airing the details publicly would be detrimental to the project's prospects for success and contrary to the wishes of its sponsor.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »

Thank you, Ric.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »

Not until I get an answer, Craig. I think it's important to research this and determine as close as possible, whether this u-tube shaped thing in picture 345 is or is not a possible vent for a fuel tank!

There is nothing to research.  There's just not enough information.  It's not even clear that it's a "U-shaped thing." 

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »

This cropped area of image 416 had a combination of small geometric shapes and reflections close together. Other images of the same area show nothing similar and no reflections. 
 Image 545 is the only image I see so far that has an object that appears to be man made, and that appears to have been on the bottom for a while.

Regarding the object in image 545 345: Sand collecting on parallel edges could make them appear to be more rounded shapes. The end may also have sand collecting on it and part of it could be buried.
3971R

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:33:33 PM by Greg Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »

This cropped area of image 416 had a combination of small geometric shapes and reflections close together.

I'm not convinced those are reflections.  Small round shapes, apparently left by sea urchins, are not uncommon.

Image 545 is the only image I see so far that has an object that appears to be man made, and that appears to have been on the bottom for a while.

I think you mean 345.  "Can 2" is almost certainly man-made and shows up in several images, but it seems like it has to be a fairy recent arrival.

Regarding the object in image 545: Sand collecting on parallel edges could make them appear to be more rounded shapes. The end may also have sand collecting on it and part of it could be buried.
Again, 345. There's just not enough to go on and nothing we've seen explains the anomaly.

Frank Smith

• T1
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »

randy conrad's  post on page 7 of the hail mary analysis on the  possum jpg with what he thinks is a tire really does look like a tire being held above seabed by a strut that's in the seabed

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »

randy conrad's  post on page 7 of the hail mary analysis on the  possum jpg with what he thinks is a tire really does look like a tire being held above seabed by a strut that's in the seabed

I see nothing but black.  Randy doesn't say what image it is.

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »

A tire that can fit in the palm of your hand.  Look at the red laser dots.  The scale is 2.5" between them.  That's a small tire.
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2015, 07:39:44 AM »

Great news about the White Bird!  Can't wait to see what's happening there.  (I personally find the White Bird and her pilots more significant than A.E.  Just my opinion.)

Could not find any news.  ??? Is there any link available?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »

Great news about the White Bird!  Can't wait to see what's happening there.  (I personally find the White Bird and her pilots more significant than A.E.  Just my opinion.)

Could not find any news.  ??? Is there any link available?

The "news" Dale was referring to is the news that we're going to re-open the investigation.  There are some recent developments that I'll write up for the new issue of TIGHAR Tracks to be published next month.
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »

Thank you, Ric!

Frank Smith

• T1
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »

the possmm jpg.   from Randy Conrads post on page 7 of hail mary  page the image of the "tire" he has it  circled in red, you can barely see it unless looking at image directly in front and slightly downward it also appears to be several feet behind the laser dots and on a slope so unless the red laser dots are right next to"tire"  a size analysis would be just guese work

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »

Sorry guys for some reason the image is labeled DSC00634 however in the address bar it says DSC00638

Anyway here is the image with line arrow pointing to what ever it is sticking out ground

Ric....Hi! Hadn't been on here for several days, but noticed Frank's comments about the pic post I made about the tire. This picture actually came from Richie's comments about something sticking out of the ground! Anyway, wandering with what I saw might be the location that we saw a potential landing gear from. As for Greg's comments about not being of size...he may or may not be right, but we have to remember this was a drop picture taken and not from an rov at a distance. Anyway, wanted to bring you to speed on this. Also, the last time Jeff Glickman posted photos of the last major underwater search, the colors of the filters were changed and it brought out alot of features we normally wouldn't see on a blue image per say. I think changing the filters might enhance several of your photos and brighten the outside edges (like the potential tire photo). If its possible. Just wondering!!!!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2015, 06:38:07 PM »

I based my findings not only by its shape, but of this photo from a past ROV search!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org