Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting historic things about Miami - relates to 2-2-V-1 study  (Read 71279 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Interesting historic things about Miami - relates to 2-2-V-1 study
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »

Ron,
   Last summer when I went to Chicago, I did some research on Amelia and come to find out she spent some time at Marshall Fields there on State and Washington Street. The reason that led me there was to do research on actually Dr. C.H. Berry. How, I came about Amelia playing a part of Marshall's was this particular photo that hangs in there history center. There also in the Chicago History Museum is a dress that Amelia wore back during that time period. According to what the historian at Marshall's told me was Amelia try to get her line of clothing on the market, but it never panned out and wasn't much of a selling item to Chicago women. Also, in light of Dr. Berry...the good doctor had his office directly across the street from Marshall Fields. Historians first thought that his practice was actually in the Marshall Fields building itself, but later found out that the street addresses flip flopped after the Chicago fire, and thus therefore he was in a fancy skyscraper that today has finally been renovated!  Anyway, as for Amelia's image...I think she had to cover all bases when it came to her image and integrity. We have to think about what she was thinking when she wore makeup as a pilot...Was it necessary or not. My belief is it was mainly because of her scar from her sinus surgery as a child. As for her line of clothing...I believe she was mainly making not only a fashion statement but a major statement to men across the country...that if a man can do it...so can a woman!!! I believe she was a tough cookie and no one was going to tell her differently. Same with her flying....

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »

It's a very strange look... her clothes aren't just manly, they're way oversized.....or perhaps she was trying to look more like Lindbergh?

Funny how you can work along side someone for years and then all of a sudden you learn that he is PAUL MANTZ'S GRANDSON!  He showed me this photo online today....this discussion reminded me to post this photo.  Apparently Mantz kept it on his desk until his death in 1965.

http://www.aerovintage.com/tallmantz/tallmantz-6a.jpg

Moderator updated and link corrected 11-25-2014 at 11:00 a.m.
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:03:17 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »

Holly cats Friend I hope you follow up with him re the current project!
Ted Campbell

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »

Holly cats Friend I hope you follow up with him re the current project!
Ted Campbell

I will tomorrow.....we only had a few minutes to chat this afternoon when all of a sudden he drops this bombshell on me!  I had to get back up the hill and finishing fixing the transmitter, he had a meeting with the big boss.  He does have some pretty cool photos in his office....and alluded that family legend has it that GP didn't really want Mantz in the picture on second attempt. 
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »

... family legend has it that GP didn't really want Mantz in the picture on second attempt.

That's true.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 07:54:08 AM »

I'm guessing that Mantz by then was already a big draw himself and might have created an impression of watering down Earhart's own accomplishment.

The sad fact is that Putnam was no judge of aviation flesh and Earhart surely could have used the expertise Mantz might have delivered.  The outcome makes it fairly clear that a voice of reason might have bridged the gap for the flight at the end in terms of radio readiness and better coordination.  Gut feel anyway - I can't quanitify that other than to say I believe Mantz would likely have been more savvy at looking ahead more successfully at working-level connections with Itasca, etc. than Earhart demonstrated herself as being.

I don't think the first plan (west bound) included Mantz going any furhter than Howland from Hawaii, did it?  Or was that Manning who was to be discharged after reaching Howland?
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »

I'm guessing that Mantz by then was already a big draw himself and might have created an impression of watering down Earhart's own accomplishment.

I don't think it was that.  Mantz knew that Earhart wasn't ready.  Putnam and Earhart didn't want to wait so they slipped out the back door while Paul was at an air race in Cleveland.

I don't think the first plan (west bound) included Mantz going any furhter than Howland from Hawaii, did it?  Or was that Manning who was to be discharged after reaching Howland?
[/quote]

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »

It's a very strange look... her clothes aren't just manly, they're way oversized.....or perhaps she was trying to look more like Lindbergh?

Funny how you can work along side someone for years and then all of a sudden you learn that he is PAUL MANTZ'S GRANDSON!  He showed me this photo online today....this discussion reminded me to post this photo.  Apparently Mantz kept it on his desk until his death in 1965.

http://www.aerovintage.com/tallmantz/tallmantz-6.jpg

Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble getting to this photo via the link?  Tells me I don't have permission to access tithe file on the server. ??

AMCK
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:31:56 AM by Andrew M McKenna »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »

I can't see it either.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »

I can't see it either.

The poster left off a letter in the URL. I've corrected it.

AE looks like a starlet in this pose, instead of Ms. Lindy.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05:10 AM »

Says I am "forbidden" too. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »

I don't think it was that.  Mantz knew that Earhart wasn't ready.  Putnam and Earhart didn't want to wait so they slipped out the back door while Paul was at an air race in Cleveland.

In Lost Star, by Patricia Lauber ,....page 72,...first paragraph....

Paul Mantz was upset when he learned that Amelia left for Miami. He was not satisfied with the radio equipment or AEs knowledge of how to spin out her fuel.

Todd Attebery

• T1
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

A previous post on this thread regarding your trip to Univeristy of Miami reminded me of a line of personal online research that I had forgotten about.  At the time I was hoping to find something that would link Pan Am and/or Fred Noonan to sextant 3500/1542... a Pan Am purchase or re-inspection of sextants, a letter loaning something to Mr. Noonan, etc.

This link is a finding aid for the Pan Am collection:  http://proust.library.miami.edu/findingaids/legacy/asm0341CL.pdf

If you're going to be there anyway... these might be worth a look.

Box 211, Folder 3 contrains files on Fred Noonan. 
Box 627, Folder 46, c. 1935 - 1938,  is titled "Navigation instruments and Laboratory equipment" 

LTM
3062A

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »

Here's a link to the site for the AE pictures that works for me:  http://aerovintage.com/.

There are two pictures of interest.  The AE 'starlet' picture is in Gallery No.2.  There's another picture of Mantz, AE, Tallman and Noonan in the Paul Mantz biography section.  Both are good quality scans.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:03:08 AM by BMangus »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »

Mantz sure had a personality by his appearance (and he did, actually, by accounts here and there).

Earhart could be a great looking lady when she wanted it to show - nice glamor shot of her.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org