Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting historic things about Miami - relates to 2-2-V-1 study  (Read 71280 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Interesting historic things about Miami - relates to 2-2-V-1 study
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »

This link is a finding aid for the Pan Am collection:  http://proust.library.miami.edu/findingaids/legacy/asm0341CL.pdf

If you're going to be there anyway... these might be worth a look.

Box 211, Folder 3 contrains files on Fred Noonan. 
Box 627, Folder 46, c. 1935 - 1938,  is titled "Navigation instruments and Laboratory equipment" 

Good find, Todd. We did have a researcher comb through all the relevant PanAm materaisl that he could find, but ... the sheer volume of materials makes it a certainty that there might, possibly, be more. I'm sure Ric will check this out once they get the copies of the photos made, which is the main purpose of this jaunt.

LTM, who says The check is in the mail,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »

I can't see it either.

The poster left off a letter in the URL. I've corrected it.

AE looks like a starlet in this pose, instead of Ms. Lindy.

A thousand pardons.....!

Friend
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

Box 627, Folder 46, c. 1935 - 1938,  is titled "Navigation instruments and Laboratory equipment" 

Thanks Todd.  We may be able to get the archivist to pull the boxes ahead of our arrival to save time.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 05:38:53 AM »

Thanks Todd.  We may be able to get the archivist to pull the boxes ahead of our arrival to save time.

Good researchers are where you find them, aren't they?

What I love about this place - this spirit, and something about 'many hands'...  :)

Many thanks, Todd.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ron Lyons

• T1
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »

Hubba Hubba!

That is all.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »

The Miami trip did not produce any dramatic new information.  The University of Miami archive was incredibly cooperative and Jeff Glickman got a really good copy photo of the negative but the negative is a third generation copy-neg and there's just not a lot of information there.
Here's the back story on the photos in the collection:

In 1995 the Leonard Albasi/Gill Family allowed the University of Miami to photograph eight small contact-print photos that, according to markings on the back, were developed on November 22, 1937.  I'll post jpgs of all of the images

The university has the negatives of the photos the university took and a set of prints made from those negatives. The Leonard Albasi/Gill Family retained the original prints. So what the university has are third generation images. ( 1st generation - original negative; 2nd generation - print from original negative; 3rd generation - negative of photo of print).

Yesterday we learned that when the university gave us positive images made from the 3rd generation negs they "enhanced" them to create a "better" image. As a result, some of the detail we see on and around the patch in the image they gave us isn't really there.  We were hoping that we would be able to get resolution that was better than what we gotten from the university. In fact, the best accurate image is not as good. At least the copy-photo Jeff Glickman made yesterday is an accurate copy of the 3rd generation neg - but there's just not much information there.

The Leonard Albasi/Gill family clearly valued the prints. They almost certainly still have them and possibly even the original negs.  The university has no information about the family. 

My speculation from studying the photos:
My guess is that Leonard Albasi took the photos and that he took them on Sunday, May 30 because:
• All eight photos seem to have been taken the same day (same people wearing same outfits).
• We know the window was still there on Saturday, May 29.
• One of the photos shows the plane taking off but it's not early morning as in the June 1 departure photos.
• There was a 1.5 hour test flight on Sunday, May 30.  No test flight on Monday.

One of the photos is the famous "last farewell" shot, obviously staged.  (We just have a snapshot of the print.  We didn't bother to get the university to make us a digital copy because we have many copies of that shot.)  However, I now wonder whether Albasi just got the same shot everyone else got because he was there - or - was Albasi a professional photographer and is this THE "last farewell" photo that has been reproduced so often?

I'd be willing to bet that Leonard Albasi is the dude in the cravat posing with his hand on the Electra cowling. That's a selfie if I ever saw one. (Negative 006)

Note that Noonan is nowhere to be seen.

I suspect that Albasi had a daughter who married a guy named Gill. After her father died she wanted to be sure her father's Amelia Earhart photos were preserved for posterity so she let the university take copy-photos. 

So here's the challenge - can we find the Leonard Albasi/Gill family and possibly get access to the original prints?

We did check out the suggested PanAm boxes plus a few others suggested by the archivist in charge of that collection.

Box 211, Folder 3 - "Fred Noonan" contains only two pieces of 1986 correspondence with Japanese Capture fan Paul Rafford Jr.
Box 267, Folder 46. c.1935-1938, labeled "Navigation Instruments and Laboratory Equipment" contain only a booklet on how to use the E2 Flight Computer (basically a circular slide-rule designed for aviation use) The E6b, a later version of the same tool, is still kicking around in the bottom of many flight bags.

Folders of documents relating to the Dinner Key seaplane base 1921-1937 produced nothing of interest. A folder of aircraft photographs had some great photos of various Clippers but nothing related to Earhart.

We also visited History Miami.  They have a few photos of AE from early in her flying career but the two photos that show her in Miami they have only in digital format at.

So the trip was pretty much a bust.  We've had so many successes recently that we tend to forget that this is the way it usually goes.  No regrets.  We know more than we did and, with the Forum's help, we may still be able to find the original photos.  A big thank you to Forum lurker Dr. Roger Thomas who originally discovered the collection on line and who came all the way from Texas to join me and Jeff Glickman in Miami.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:06:19 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »

Here are three more from the Leonard Albasi/Gill Family collection.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »

And one more.

Albert Durrell

• T1
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »

May be:  Kathryn Lynn Albasi Gill, born 1949 (Looks like Leonard got married in 1941 so this fits), married Jan 1970, lived at 9631 NW 26th Ct, Hollywood FL in 2008.  House was last sold in 2002 so she may still be there.  Phone in 2008 was 954-432-2882 but this number belongs to a restaurant now.  You can find just about anything on the net.  Anyone in the Hollywood area that could follow through?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »

Unbelievable.  If we can't get a phone or email address we can always write a letter. Facebook?

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »

An article about Mr. Albasi's 100th birthday:

http://www.tcpalm.com/lifestyle/100th-birthday_20140523122831547

His daughter:

Kathryn A Gill
5524 Chicory Falls
Las Vegas, NV 89148
Age 65 (Born Apr 1949)
(702) 736-4457

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »

Perfect Karen.  Thank you!

The 100th birthday party was in 2009.  Leonard died in 2013 at age 104.  I'll try to connect with his daughter today.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2014, 11:42:47 AM »

Just talked to Kathryn’s husband.  Kathryn gave the photos to her daughter Jonell who lives in Florida.  He will call her and ask her to call me.

Albasi worked for Goodyear and was on the crew for the blimp.  He just happened to be at Miami Municipal that day.

Hal Beck

• T1
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2014, 07:03:42 PM »

When I look at the patch in the photo labelled ‘Negatives005-cropped’ I see an arc-like shape with one end near the middle of the bottom edge of the patch, and the other end extending to the upper right hand corner of the patch.  I’ve tried to mark them in yellow in the attached, but the image at its current resolution (?dpi) doesn’t look good when enlarged.

I’m curious what we are seeing here and wonder if it would be possible to see this small portion of ‘Negatives005-cropped’ at better resolution.  If ‘Negatives005-cropped’ is itself cropped, I think it should be possible to save the resulting image at 300 dpi and still have a manageable file size. 

Thanks

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:34 PM »

I’m curious what we are seeing here....

Nothing reliable.  As I explained in an earlier posting, that image was "enhanced" by the university which can introduce detail that is not really there.

The good news is that Jonell has agreed to loan the original print to Jeff Glickman.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org