Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tactical Maneuver  (Read 43195 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Tactical Maneuver
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »

They found Hitler's bunker but they didn't find him , it leaves us lacking.

NEWS FLASH, Jerry!!!!
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 07:16:39 PM »

That story is also open to debate , it is full of holes ,...as there were many hitler doubles found, and certainly a country on the verge of atomic bomb capability had the technology to produce a realistic hitler like body,one that was badly burned at that..... ( lets not get crazy and turn this into the Hitler debate Forum), ... maybe I did make a bad comparison in my last statement , however it doesn't change the fact that for me , NO bodies , NO closure.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:00:30 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 12:32:17 AM »

Hello,
           I was wondering if anyone agrees with me that finding them would be crucial to completing the story? And, Hey, I'm sorry :'( about the hitler reference,.... when I was young my mother used to buy a lot of those over the counter magazines..... ( you know the ones)...and maybe I was influenced by them somewhat, what can I say, it's hard to distinguish fact from fiction when subjected to a ton of media's propaganda. 

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 02:30:24 AM »

Hi All

Ric if next years expedition does produce smoking gun evidence of the electra down in the depth's of the waters of reef, Would that mean apart from the archaeology  side of site of electra, Tighar's work will be finished on the island as it's the historic find and possible recovery of the electra  is what Tighar are about ? Or would the fact you's have been searching the island since 1987 drive you's on to find what evidence is left of Amelia Fred ?

Thanks Richie     
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 08:00:13 AM »

I disagree Richie, If he finds the smoking gun as you say and evidence of an electra down in the depth's their work is just begun. Then you would know you have the right place, then you would have to put the pieces to the puzzle together as to what happened to them after they landed. If they crashed in the water and sank and you found the plane, easy, they died. If you found the wreckage in the Jungle someplace, again easy, they crashed and died. But if Tighar is right that means they survived. For how long? What did they eat? Was she alive to see the plane's pass over and not come back? What must that have been like?

Just sayin'
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 08:05:36 AM »

I disagree Richie, If he finds the smoking gun as you say and evidence of an electra down in the depth's their work is just begun.

Exactly.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »

Hello,
               If the Electra is found, I assume there will be a recovery expedition soon afterward to gather any bits,and pieces,and parts that are recoverable. Where do you plan for these parts to wind up? I haven't done my research on this but is there an earhart museum somewhere?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:28:56 AM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »

If the Electra is found, I assume there will be a recovery expedition soon afterward to gather any bits,and pieces,and parts that are recoverable. Where do you plan for these parts to wind up? I haven't done my research on this but is there an earhart museum somewhere?

Any artifacts related to Earhart found on or near Nikumaroro belong to the Republic of Kiribati and their disposition is up to Kiribati.  That said, TIGHAR has an excellent relationship with the government of Kiribati and our recommendation would be that the artifacts be carefully conserved and eventually displayed in a traveling exhibit.  After a suitable tour, the exhibit would find a permanent home at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum.

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 10:21:16 AM »

After a suitable tour, the exhibit would find a permanent home at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum.

That would be the best thing to do.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

Thanks Ric, .....now that is what I call a tactical maneuver, ....hopefully that is the way it will stay , for as we know other articles from valued historic sites have been auctioned off to private collectors, even though they were supposed to be well protected. I know this is way down the road , but ,... if there were to be some remains from Fred and Amelia recovered, what happens to these?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »

if there were to be some remains from Fred and Amelia recovered, what happens to these?

Return to next of kin.

Steve Schlutt

• T1
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »

Meaning no disrespect here....   But in a most bizarre and nearly unfathomable bit of irony, isn't Tim Mellon a descendant of Amelia Earhart?   
Steve Schlutt

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »

I disagree Richie, If he finds the smoking gun as you say and evidence of an electra down in the depth's their work is just begun. Then you would know you have the right place, then you would have to put the pieces to the puzzle together as to what happened to them after they landed. If they crashed in the water and sank and you found the plane, easy, they died. If you found the wreckage in the Jungle someplace, again easy, they crashed and died. But if Tighar is right that means they survived. For how long? What did they eat? Was she alive to see the plane's pass over and not come back? What must that have been like?

Just sayin'

Hi Rich

For me personally i think Tighar have done a fine job in putting that puzzle together already and the Electra would be the icing on the  cake.

I know their would still be work to be done under and above water, My comment on this was just an off the cuff comment, as i was sitting in van stuck in traffic, And was thinking results pending of analysis of 1938 photo's if area's of interest are found and we found a treasure trove tucked away in a bush like Fred's Sextant Amelia's suitcase with documents in etc, This all taking place on next expedition that is  ;D

Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »

Meaning no disrespect here....   But in a most bizarre and nearly unfathomable bit of irony, isn't Tim Mellon a descendant of Amelia Earhart?

He may be related in a collateral line.

So far as I know, AE didn't have any children, hence would have no "descendants" in the strict sense.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »

No, I am no relation.

However, she did found, with two other partners, Boston Maine Airways, a joint venture between Boston and Maine Railroad and Mane Central Railway, both of which are now subsidiaries of Pan American Railways, my company. Boston Maine Airways became Northeast Airlines (the Yellow Bird), which was eventually absorbed into Delta Airlines.

When we purchased PanAm (airlines) out of bankruptcy in 1998, we resuscitated Boston Maine Airways as a subsidiary that was not burdened with union contracts. It flew until 2007, but economics dictated terminating operations.

As I have explained elsewhere, Boston and Maine Railroad owned a large freight yard in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It has been converted into an urban development ("Northpoint"), our joint venture partners being Canyon, which is owned in part by Magic Johnson. We suggested naming two of the new streets in the development "Earhart Street" (after Amelia) and "Child Street" (after Julia Childs, the cook). Both names were accepted by the City of Cambridge.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:59:27 PM by Tim Mellon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org