Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Road to Niku VIII  (Read 44091 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
The Road to Niku VIII
« on: April 14, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »

Here’s where things stand.

We’re finishing up our analysis of the results of the Niku VII expedition. We should have the report ready for release soon. So far I can tell you that there are some really interesting targets out there that we didn’t know about and didn’t get to investigate.  I think you can guess how I feel about that.

There are also new (and very cool) developments in the analysis of artifacts and materials from the Seven Site.  We’re working on the reports/press releases now.

We are, of course, eager to get back to Niku but there are milestones and toll booths on the road to Niku VIII.  I want the Forum to know what happened last year so that you all know why we’re proceeding the way we are. This is the first time I’ve talked about this publicly.

Our original plan was to do a hi-tech deep water search in the summer of 2013. In September 2011, at my request, the Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia and the Pacific Islands arranged for the State Dept. photo analysts to look at the Bevington Photo.  In November 2011 they briefed me and said they agreed with Jeff Glickman’s assessment that the object in the photo appears to be the wreckage of Electra landing gear.

In January 2012, as a thank you, I invited the Assistant Secretary to be Guest of Honor at our planned Earhart Search 75 symposium in June.  As an afterthought, I also mentioned the photo analysis results.  In late February 2012 the Assistant Secretary called me in and made TIGHAR “an offer we couldn’t refuse.”  He informed me that he had assurances of sponsorship and in-kind support from several major corporations adequate to cover the costs of a hi-tech deep water search. The Secretary of State herself would endorse our work and announce our deep water search at a special, high-profile press event in March.  The catch was that we had to do the expedition asap, preferably in April.  Throwing together such a complex operation that fast was out of the question, so we settled on July, the 75th anniversary of the disappearance. 

In retrospect, a couple of things are clear.  The State Dept. push to do the expedition in 2012 was because they knew that, regardless of the outcome of the November election, Secretary Clinton and her appointees wouldn’t be there in 2013.  It also later became obvious that the State Dept.’s primary interest was not the expedition, the outcome of which was beyond anyone’s control. The pay-off for them was the positive publicity from the March press event, which was much more a sure thing.  The event was a huge success but, after that, State was done.  Lockheed Martin and FedEx came through as promised but the rest of State’s assurances of corporate sponsorships never materialized. We were on our own with commitments made, contracts signed, but only a fraction of the budget raised.
Over the next few months Tim Mellon and Discovery stepped forward with major contributions and public grassroots support was strong, but I was still frantically fund raising as KOK steamed south in July. In the end, we were able to raise most, but not all, of the $2,000,000 expedition budget.  The first step on the road to Niku VIII is, therefore, to pay off the debt from Niku VII.

At the same time, we’re going to do Confidence Assessment of the many threads of evidence in this complex 25-years-and-counting investigation.  This will be done as a series of questions such as:

• How confident are we that Earhart had enough fuel to reach Gardner Island?

• How confident are we that Earhart was sending radio distress calls in the days following her disappearance?

• How confident are we that the Bevington Object is wreckage from the Earhart Electra?

You get the idea.  The point is to review and quantify the credibility of each pillar of support for the Niku Hypothesis.  The “we” in all this is the TIGHAR Board of Directors because we’re the one who make the decisions, but recognizing that, despite our best efforts and intentions, we may be less than totally objective, we’re recruiting the help of unbiased outside experts.  We’re lining up some really good people.  We’ll let you know who they are.

We’ll also be asking for your Confidence Assessment for each question because, at the end of the day, it’s your opinion that really counts. Without the financial support of the community of people who care about solving the Earhart mystery, what we think doesn’t matter.  We’re still putting together the mechanics of how the Confidence Assessment will work.  Stay tuned for more details.

I’m telling you all this because we need to get serious about getting started down the road to Niku VIII and that means raising money.  We have kept fund raising pitches off the Forum and I very much prefer it that way, as I’m sure you do, but I assume you’re all here because you find value here.  Maybe it’s a lifelong passion for the Earhart mystery, maybe it’s intellectual stimulation, maybe it’s the satisfaction of participation in an epic quest, maybe it’s entertainment, or maybe it’s just an opportunity to rattle my chain.  Whatever you get from this Forum, whether you’re one of the 892 registered Forum members or one of the untold thousands who just read the postings, you’re a powerful force and we need your help now.

Please go to the TIGHAR website.  Use the DONATE button to make a contribution. There’s lots of great stuff in the TIGHAR Store.  If you have an idea for something you’d like to see in the Store, tell me (Ric@tighar.org).  If you’re interested in a corporate sponsorship with recognition on the TIGHAR website homepage, let’s talk.
The TIGHAR website uses PayPal. If you don’t like PayPal send us a check or phone us with your credit card info.  We’re usually here during normal business hours (302-994-4410) and delighted to talk to you. (We're having some telephone adventures at the moment but they should be fixed by Tuesday.)

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
Re: The Road to Niku VIII
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

Ric,

It sounds like you and more importantly the TIGHAR members were hoodwinked as part of the Obama’s 2012 election operation:  e.g. “an offer we couldn’t refuse”, “in-kind support from several major corporations” and the “catch was that we had to do the expedition ASAP” – (sic-before the election).

Although I don’t want this forum to degenerate into a political debate, I say it’s a sad day in this county's history when a serious subject – The Search for AE – becomes a no cost operation, potential publicity opportunity and a no serious liability event if incorporated into an election’s positive “vote for us” dialog.

Personally, the events of the Governments 2012 involvement in our quest will not affect my monitory participation in getting to an acceptable explanation of AE and FM’s final days.  I just find this history of the United States Government involvement in this quest very disgusting – stronger words to follow.

Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »

It sounds like you and more importantly the TIGHAR members were hoodwinked as part of the Obama’s 2012 election operation:  e.g. “an offer we couldn’t refuse”, “in-kind support from several major corporations” and the “catch was that we had to do the expedition ASAP” – (sic-before the election).

The White House was not involved and I doubt that Secretary Clinton was aware of the assurances I had been given by the Assistant Secretary. It was an opportunity for a feel-good media event and I think her admiration for Earhart was sincere.

Although I don’t want this forum to degenerate into a political debate, I say it’s a sad day in this county's history when a serious subject – The Search for AE – becomes a no cost operation, potential publicity opportunity and a no serious liability event if incorporated into an election’s positive “vote for us” dialog.

We all tend to see grand conspiracies where there are only petty manipulations.  As you say, we're not going to let this forum degenerate into political squabbles, but since I brought it up I should clarify how politics figured in the whole thing. Political appointees are politicians and I think the lesson here is that the first priority of any politician is politics.  The politics, in this case were between the Assistant Secretary and the Secretary.  He's a genuine Earhart fan and he genuinely wanted the expedition to find the plane, but he also saw an opportunity to give his boss some positive press.  After that was accomplished, and when the fund raising proved to be tougher than he had assumed, he jumped ship. I don't have a problem with Secretary Clinton nor with the career foreign service staff at State whom I found to be hard working, intelligent, and nonpartisan.  I'm disappointed in a man who didn't keep his word.

I'm not bitter and I'm not whining about being a victim. I take full responsibility for my own naiveté.  I just wanted everybody to understand what happened so that we can move forward, retire the debt, assess our evidence, and equip Niku VIII to stand the best chance of success.

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »

I guess it would be safe to say we, "Live and Learn" in these circumstances. But the next time someone tries that line on us- we give them a line of our own. "Show me the money!"
 ;)
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »

I guess it would be safe to say we, "Live and Learn" in these circumstances. But the next time someone tries that line on us- we give them a line of our own. "Show me the money!"

Amen.

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:35:28 AM »

Ric,

I admire and appreciate your persistence.

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »

Thanks for sharing this information, Ric.
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Brano Lacika

• T1
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »

There’s lots of great stuff in the TIGHAR Store.  If you have an idea for something you’d like to see in the Store, tell me

Perhaps the model of AE Electra could be an item of some interest? Properly scaled, decent quality with the TIGHAR logo on the stand... I would certainly love to have one on the desk in my office...

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »

Perhaps the model of AE Electra could be an item of some interest? Properly scaled, decent quality with the TIGHAR logo on the stand... I would certainly love to have one on the desk in my office...
I have been looking for and would buy a model of the Electra 10E if TIGHAR offered one.
Steve G
#3911R

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:20:29 PM by Bruce Thomas »

Brano Lacika

• T1
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »

I have been looking for and would buy a model of the Electra 10E if TIGHAR offered one.

Thanks Steve. I m quite positive, that the scale model could be a good tradeable item with the potential to generate some  small contribution for NIKU VIII...  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:22:58 PM by Bruce Thomas »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »

Over the years we've offered two different models of NR16020.  They're now long since sold out.  One was carved mahogany and the other was cast resin.  I'll confess that I was never really happy with either of them.  For some reason the Model 10E's elegant shape is apparently difficult to render accurately - or maybe I'm a perfectionist when it comes to that airplane.
If we could find a vendor who could get it right at a reasonable price I'd be willing to try again.

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »

Over the years we've offered two different models of NR16020.  They're now long since sold out.  One was carved mahogany and the other was cast resin.  I'll confess that I was never really happy with either of them.  For some reason the Model 10E's elegant shape is apparently difficult to render accurately - or maybe I'm a perfectionist when it comes to that airplane.
If we could find a vendor who could get it right at a reasonable price I'd be willing to try again.
I found this one on line. Looks like a good size.
Amelia's L10E
Factory Direct Price: $151.96
Wing Span:  18 3/4 
 Length:  13 1/4
A little pricey but maybe TIGHAR could raffle a bunch of them as a fund raiser, like $25 a ticket ?

Steve G
#3911R

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »

Ric,
Let me work on it.  Some years ago I worked for Texaco Aviation and we had a series of planes that Texaco owned and/or sponsered made into desk models.  Let me see what we can do.

Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 06:42:35 AM »

I found this one on line. Looks like a good size.

That's the mahogany one TIGHAR commissioned about 20 years ago.  They worked from a three-view of a 10A so the engines are too small.  There's no window in the cabin door and no fueling ports on the side of the fuselage.  Also, the nose is too pointy.
I know...picky, picky ...but I'm something of a fanatic about accuracy.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 07:12:30 AM »

For those of you who are into building models, there are a few choices:

LTM, who will go back to pushing paper,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER

P.S. - Ric, it could be worse, they could try to peddle that Godawful 10-E that's in the National Air and Space Museum ...
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:14:32 AM by Monty Fowler »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org