Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 319484 times)

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »

I took a cut at stitching two images to give a better sense of dimensionality to my postulated fuselage interior.  Attached.
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 07:16:55 PM »

BUBBLE OCTANT?

In this image, the ROV camera is inches from the surface it is filming.  The total area visible on the screen is probably smaller than your computer screen.

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 11:45:45 PM »

BUBBLE OCTANT?
Compare with what the Pioneer octant used by Noonan actually looks like here.

gl
Gary, thanks very much.  I was thinking sextant with bubble/artificial horizon.  I did a quick search of your site - very impressive by the way - but couldn't determine if FN used one.  There is a wealth of information on the TIGHAR website as well as your site - I will check it out.  Thank you!

The only evidence we have as to the type of bubble octant that Noonan had on the flight from Lae to Howland is this receipt for a Pioneer octant that he got from Manning after the Hawaiian crash. Although this was in March, three months prior to departing on the second attempt, it was obviously done in contemplation of it being used on a second attempt otherwise there was no reason to get that octant from Manning. This also indicates that Noonan had no other octant to use or else he wouldn't need Manning's octant. There is no evidence that he carried any other type of octant or sextant on the last flight.

gl
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:10:43 PM by Gary LaPook »

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »

In this image, the ROV camera is inches from the surface it is filming.  The total area visible on the screen is probably smaller than your computer screen.

Ok, thanks.  It's taking some mental recalibration but I'm now understanding that my interpretation of the reef slope was off by an order of magnitude - what I thought was 200 feet of slope is actually 20; what I saw as a main landing gear wheel is actually the size of a large button, rope is actually thread or twine, etc.  Still wrapping my head around it but I will get there!   :-[ 
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »

Ok, thanks.  It's taking some mental recalibration but I'm now understanding that my interpretation of the reef slope was off by an order of magnitude - what I thought was 200 feet of slope is actually 20; what I saw as a main landing gear wheel is actually the size of a large button, rope is actually thread or twine, etc.  Still wrapping my head around it but I will get there!   :-[

Oh, I get it now. We must be looking at the wreck of Mr. Harney's model Electra...
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 07:08:31 AM »

BUBBLE OCTANT?

Thanks for that clarification, Ric. 

This has been one of the tough realities in all the excitement about what we're 'seeing' here that is hard for those of us who have not been immersed in the ROV environment to get our heads around.  I recall my own excitement over the 'main gear with squiggley' at the beginning of the ROV stills string and your own thought that whatever it was we were seeing was likely only inches in size, not feet.  I appreciate that sobering reminder.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »

About the black "squiggly" stuff.  We found a length of it and videoed it up close during Niku VII.  Somebody aboard KOK recognized it as a type of gasket material commonly used aboard ship and showed me a handful of it.  Clearly the same stuff we saw in the video. Now I wish I had taken time to photograph and document exactly what it is, but at the time it was just "Okay, so we don't need to worry about that."

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »

Thanks Ric. And that solves another mystery.

Scale is everything. These videos provide tons of visual clues as to depth etc just by the amount of natural daylight in the scenes but "scale" is the most important element that has to be kept in mind. This has been stated time and again in this forum.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »

kinda like a rope/graphite packing material?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »

kinda like a rope/graphite packing material?

Kinda .. and segmented.  I had never seen anything like it before.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 08:30:36 AM »

not unlike packing material for prop shaft stuffing boxes on ships.?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »

I'm the wrong guy to ask about that.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »

Yep---me too

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »

That stuff is square in cross-section, not round. Does this help?

gl

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »

That stuff is square in cross-section, not round. Does this help?

gl

This might help Gary.  You are right.

Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org