Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 318702 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Wire & Rope entire.mov
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »

That's a pretty long rope. You'd almost think someone wanted to tie something very large down with a rope that long.  You wouldn't suppose the Electra had some sort of kit to tie something down, would you?  Now where did that Luke Field Inventory run off to... And where was Nessie in relation to that find?  Hmm...
(see p. 3 col. 3 atttachment)
LTM,
who always liked her son to put his stake in the ground
but also knew he was incorrigible
(but on the other hand knew about fishing with ropes, purse seiners and flotsam)

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR # 3078 ECR

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »

Thank's Ric & Pat

I have wanted to see surrounding area of wire an rope for ages, i was tempted to go there an drop a home made rov, just to see for my self lol

Can understand you's didn't post sooner that is some bad Rov driving haha

thanks again

Richie  ;D
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:52:39 PM »

Thank's Ric & Pat

I have wanted to see surrounding area of wire an rope for ages, i was tempted to go there an drop a home made rov, just to see for my self lol

Can understand you's didn't post sooner that is some bad Rov driving haha

thanks again

Richie  ;D

You ain't justa woofin' Richie.  I got vertigo just watching that full screen.  Kinda like flying in the clouds.  Maybe the flyer of that ROV had too much kickapoo joy juice before he sent it down there.  ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:54:44 PM by Bob Lanz »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »

When you get an ROV rating on your ticket, let me know.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »

Doubt that would happen

Tighar would probably find Rov wreckage among the Electra wreckage if i was driving, U should see what is left of my petrol radio controlled car

A ingine to be precise  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »

Maybe the flyer of that ROV had too much kickapoo joy juice before he sent it down there.  ;D

I have a few hours of ROV stick time and I can tell you it's harder than it looks.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »

Maybe the flyer of that ROV had too much kickapoo joy juice before he sent it down there.  ;D

I have a few hours of ROV stick time and I can tell you it's harder than it looks.

I am sure you are right Ric.  Having flown numerous types of aircraft, I couldn't fly a darn radio controlled plane to save my life.  I could take it off ok but returning it was a disaster.  I gave that hobby up in a hurry.  I am sure Marty can attest that it takes some skills to fly one of those things as well as a radio controlled ROV.   

Ya gotta love this Ric.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:15:48 PM by Bob Lanz »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »

so---drive a submirsible---
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »

Rick and Pat, my sincere thanks for making the additional Niku VI footage available - the increased resolution, consecutive and added footage are a tremendous improvement! 

To my eyes there is a WEALTH of information in this new footage.  First posting - attached is an annotated snapshot at 13:41:25 frame 13.  To my eyes we're looking at NR16020 interior fuselage with right fuel tank plumbing and left fuselage section around the cabin door.  I think we also see the remains of one of parachutes lying on the left side of the cabin door frame. 

Sincerely, John

(note: updated to include cabin door image)
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:06:44 PM by John Balderston »

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »

BUBBLE OCTANT?

Will Hatchell

• inactive
  • "Down to the nitty-gritty"
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »

Would it be helpful or instructive for John, Tim, Richie and others who have posted so their observations on the forum in analyzing the Wire & Rope footage, to offer some rough estimates of typical or average thickness of sediment coating these possible aircraft parts? I think it would help those of us who are less capable and/or expert in photo analysis. Sediment buildup seems to mask just about everything, but it is virtually impossible for me to determine just how thick this actually is. Obviously, the original underlying shape and configuration of the encased objects are evident to these sharp-eyed forum observers, but no one to my knowledge has as yet commented re the thickness of the encasing sediment or coral. Also, and perhaps this has already been covered, but why is it that the wire/rope seems to be relatively free of sediment buildup? Perhaps it landed in-place more recently or perhaps it has constantly moved around and avoided corrosion?

Hatch
Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »

BUBBLE OCTANT?
Compare with what the Pioneer octant used by Noonan actually looks like here.

gl

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »

Would it be helpful or instructive for John, Tim, Richie and others who have posted so their observations on the forum in analyzing the Wire & Rope footage, to offer some rough estimates of typical or average thickness of sediment coating these possible aircraft parts?

The thickness depends upon depth, and to a certain extent the verticality of the surface on which the sediment lands. If you observe the ROV landing and blowing off the sediment around time 13:37:30, you will see that it is not very thick. The scallop shell is identifiable even before the sediment is blown off by the ROV. Hope this helps.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »

BUBBLE OCTANT?
Compare with what the Pioneer octant used by Noonan actually looks like here.

gl
Gary, thanks very much.  I was thinking sextant with bubble/artificial horizon.  I did a quick search of your site - very impressive by the way - but couldn't determine if FN used one.  There is a wealth of information on the TIGHAR website as well as your site - I will check it out.  Thank you!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org