Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Electra Survivors Project  (Read 86793 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Electra Survivors Project
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »

I think you must have mixed up numbers, yes?

Yes.  Sorry. The airplane owned by Finch and then Kammerer is 1015.  A very old 10A that was later converted to a 10E.  McGuire's airplane is 1042, the only surviving Electra that was built as a 10E.

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »

An early version of the fates of all 148, where known, and the survivors now exists.
Survivors as of 10 Dec 2012
c/n
1026 Air maybe
1042 Air
1116 Air
Air indicates airworthy, maybe. Except 1116 which is definitely, according to her pilot.
Since this will be a document that is never finished, I suggest it be put up on the TIGHAR site where updated versions can be posted. Allowing editing by anyone is probably not a good idea. I'll have it ready for the first post in a couple of days. Let me know off list who to send it to, please. And, of course, any errors are mine, and I'd appreciate corrections. I'll also add photos you may contribute to subsequent versions.

Some progress is being made on the drawings question.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

The aircraft Kamerer owned - #1015 - was inherited by his daughter Kristen who I've met as she lives close by.  The registration is listed under an LLC which has an address coincident with Kristen.

She has set up a foundation supporting women.  Last year there was a plan afoot to fly the aircraft around the world as an awareness raising scheme, but now it seems she intends to fund grants by the foundation through the sale of the aircraft which their website indicates went up for sale in Feb of 2012. 

Here is what it says on the website:

"When she inherited the 1935 Lockheed Electra 10E, Wolf was approached by several media and aviation organizations. All wanted to use the plane to re-create Amelia Earhart’s last flight for the purposes of scientific study and furthering the search for Earhart’s crash site. But Wolf had other ideas. She decided that instead of using the plane for a re-creation, she would mobilize it for the purposes of inspiration – to honor and uplift women and girls around the world – via an endowment established by the sale of the aircraft."

There is no indication that the aircraft has been sold that I can find, but it is pretty clear that the aircraft is airworthy or at least was as of last year.  Current A/W certificate was issued in 2004.  I think it is hangared in Texas.

See http://www.womenhavewings.org/who-we-are/

Chance of a lifetime to own a L-10E if you've got the pocket change....

Andrew

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

The aircraft Kamerer owned - #1015 - was inherited by his daughter Kristen who I've met as she lives close by.  The registration is listed under an LLC which has an address coincident with Kristen.

She has set up a foundation supporting women.  Last year there was a plan afoot to fly the aircraft around the world as an awareness raising scheme, but now it seems she intends to fund grants by the foundation through the sale of the aircraft which their website indicates went up for sale in Feb of 2012. 

Here is what it says on the website:

"When she inherited the 1935 Lockheed Electra 10E, Wolf was approached by several media and aviation organizations. All wanted to use the plane to re-create Amelia Earhart’s last flight for the purposes of scientific study and furthering the search for Earhart’s crash site. But Wolf had other ideas. She decided that instead of using the plane for a re-creation, she would mobilize it for the purposes of inspiration – to honor and uplift women and girls around the world – via an endowment established by the sale of the aircraft."

There is no indication that the aircraft has been sold that I can find, but it is pretty clear that the aircraft is airworthy or at least was as of last year.  Current A/W certificate was issued in 2004.  I think it is hangared in Texas.

See http://www.womenhavewings.org/who-we-are/

Chance of a lifetime to own a L-10E if you've got the pocket change....

Andrew

Andrew and all,

Project Amelia:

I spoke to Sandie Dolese, Senior Advancement Officer, Museum of Flight, Seattle on Tuesday.  She told me that Kristen Kammerer has accepted an offer to buy #1015 from them for display at the Museum.  So far they have raised half the money to purchase the plane. 

In her conversation with me she said "The exhibit and educational programs will have the aircraft as their centerpiece. We can’t wait to share the legend of Amelia Earhart and her story so that it will live on to inspire future generations."

"Amelia Earhart has been an inspiration to women and girls for generations. Project Amelia, supported by the current and new members of the ALL Ladies Guild, is the Museum of Flight’s new women’s initiative. The goal is to bring a restored Lockheed Electra Model 10-E to be the centerpiece of a permanent Amelia Earhart Exhibit."

http://www.museumofflight.org/electra

Much more here:

http://www.museumofflight.org/search/node/Amelia%20Earhart
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »

Personally, I think the Museum of Flight is a great place for 1015.  I would encourage anyone who is so inclined to donate to the museum's purchase of the airplane.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 09:22:09 AM »

Personally, I think the Museum of Flight is a great place for 1015.  I would encourage anyone who is so inclined to donate to the museum's purchase of the airplane.

Ric, in view of TIGHAR's own need for funding, I think it is quite gracious of you to endorse this project.   I will personally let Sandie know of your comment.  Thank you.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »

I have received a follow up note of appreciation from Sandra Dolese, Museum of Flight in Seattle for the mention of their Project Amelia along with more information about the plans for the Electra L10-E #1015.

"Thank you for your interest in The Museum of Flight’s efforts to bring the Amelia Earhart story to life.  What a great endorsement you shared on the TIGHAR forum!  We also appreciate the kind words of support from TIGHAR’s executive director, Ric Gillespie, encouraging fellow enthusiasts to support Project Amelia at The Museum of Flight."

"The Museum will position the Electra as the centerpiece of a permanent exhibit showcasing Amelia’s adventures.  Telling her story in this unique way will illuminate an American heroine who continues to inspire.  While her disappearance 75 years ago remains an intriguing mystery, Amelia reigns supreme as the most-asked about subject of the Museum’s curatorial staff and the most researched topic in the Museum’s library."

More in the below attachment. 
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:26:13 AM by Bob Lanz »

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »

The complete list of all 149 L-10s is now in reasonable shape. It consists of 51pp of text and some pictures. If someone will tell me where to upload the current version (no. 4) I'll do so. It is a pdf file. The list of known survivors is much shorter -- 16.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »

If someone will tell me where to upload the current version (no. 4) I'll do so. It is a pdf file. The list of known survivors is much shorter -- 16.

Mike, How big is the pdf file?  If it's small enough to email you can send it to me at tigharic@mac.com.  It it's too big to email I can do either Dropbox or YouSendIt.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »

Michael Elliot has provided a comprehensive list of the fate all 147 Electras: "Lockheed L-10 Electra Survivors and W/O and Vanished."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 12:20:41 PM »

"N1602D. Reg. to Grace McGuire, PO BOX 68, RUMSON NJ
07760-0068 SURVIVOR as of 2012 AIRWORTHY as of 2012 Sale to MOF, Seattle pending"
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above is in error.  It is Linda Finch's #1015 that was sold to Mike Kammerer and is now owned by Kristen Kammerer who is selling the Electra to the Museum of Flight in Seattle. 

Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »

"N1602D. Reg. to Grace McGuire, PO BOX 68, RUMSON NJ
07760-0068 SURVIVOR as of 2012 AIRWORTHY as of 2012 Sale to MOF, Seattle pending"
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above is in error.  It is Linda Finch's #1015 that was sold to Mike Kammerer and is now owned by Kristen Kammerer who is selling the Electra to the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Yes, I have that correction in survivors table on the wiki.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »

Another correction to the list of all Electras and their fates: c/n 1099 is clearly a typo for c/n 1089 (which is SP-BGJ), while c/n 1100 is a typo for c/n 1090 (which is SP-BGK) (see http://www.goldenyears.ukf.net/reg_YR-.htm). Therefore, no Electra airframes existed with c/n's 1099 and 1100.

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 09:58:07 PM »

Vahe
You may be correct. The planes sold to LOT in Poland, which shifted between the Wermacht and the Red Army are confused. If you can sort this out, we will be in your debt. However, claiming that Lockheed skipped a couple of serial numbers is too imaginitive for most of us because it has no precedent, and even in the 1930s, there were some rules about what US airplane mfgrs were required to do.
Perhaps you may have good Russian language skills, which might be a valuable search tool, since there are vague connections between these two aircraft and Russia. Take a couple of months and see what you can dig out for us. We'll assist wherever we can. On the other hand, the likelihood of finding a survivor anywhere east of Danzig looks to me like .01 or less.
BTW, do you have Romanian? My attempts in that direction all seem to produce vague tales of all airports and their contents being destroyed in the period from 1939-1945. Having had first-hand contact with the Nazis, I'd not be surprised.
Appreciate your concern and efforts.

Vahe Demirjian

• T1
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

Hi Mike Elliot:

For more info on the fates of SP-BGJ and SP-BGK, see http://www.europeanairlines.no/airline-companies-in-rumania-1918-1945. You see, the Germans had strong ties with the fascists in Romania and when they invaded Poland, the two Electras in service with LOT were sold to Romania and captured by the Soviets in September 1939. As far as is concerned, those Electras were still in service with LARES as late as 1943.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org