Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Computers and software  (Read 20375 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Computers and software
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:47:34 AM »

While this is not exactly a new revelation about computers from China, since this article was just published by the AP yesterday, it seems a good time to again bring it to everyone's attention that we need to be very careful where we purchase our computers and software! ???
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bill Roe

• T3
Re: Computers and software
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »

Good thought, Woody.

About 4 years ago my son talked me into going with Apple.  Now everything I have that is computer/internet related is Apple.  The eye candy alone makes it worth it.  But, more important, the security is incredible. 
I've also found that the hardware is far more reliable and Apple is a far, far superior company when it comes to customer service.
Apple is also less costly to operate.  For example, Apple introduces new operating systems periodically just like Microsoft.  However, Apple's OSx costs $29 and for that price I can upgrade all 4 of my Macs and MacBooks.

I won't go into all the benefits of using Apple Hardware/Software so let's just say that I should have switched years ago.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:20 AM »

Thanks for that insight Bill. :)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »

Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Bill Roe

• T3
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »

Where are Apple Computers Manufactured?

Yuuuuuup, CHINA!!

I'm not certain that I understand your point.  In addition to using computers manufactured in China, I only drive Acuras - reason:  I used to be strictly a GM guy until they started manufacturing unreliable crap that they refused to support properly.  Absolutely, positively terrible customer service.  And worse automobiles.  Acura wanted my business very badly, produce a far superior automobile, support their marketing philosophy with positive action, train their dealers how to treat their customers properly and, you know, I'm the most important person in the world to my Acura dealer. 

GM, Ford and especially Chrysler lost my loyalty a long time ago when they refused to be loyal to me and sold me junk.  Acura earned it and I'll remain loyal to them.

As far as Apple is concerned, gee - an American Company using foreign labor to manufacture their superior product. I wonder why - no I don't. 

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »

Apple! Why is it more secure? because its not worth writing virus/malware for something that doesn't dominate the market (not that I believe in MS its just that's the market leader)

BTW Novell, doing en years ago what Microsoft Server can only just do.

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »

Apple! Why is it more secure? because its not worth writing virus/malware for something that doesn't dominate the market (not that I believe in MS its just that's the market leader)

Agreed, exactly the point IMO.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 09:51:15 AM »

Try the world on Linux/Unix, real nerd stuff  ;D

Apple did/do make some very nice kit tough!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »

Try the world on Linux/Unix, real nerd stuff  ;D

That reminds me of this classic comparison of operating systems:

UNIX Airways 

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport.  They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS 

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on ...

Mac Airlines 

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same.  Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air 

The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off.  After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air 

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Linux Air 

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline.  They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves.  They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.  When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the Seat-HOWTO.html.  Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful.  You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:15:45 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Monte Chalmers

• T2
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »

Linux Air 

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline.  They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves.  They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.  When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the Seat-HOWTO.html.  Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful.  You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"
;D  The wonderful in-flight meal  is a nice touch - first class of coarse.  I don't want to knock MS too much - I have some of their stock.
Monte TIGHAR #3597

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »

... I don't want to knock MS too much ...

Me, neither.

I'm a DOS baby from 1984.  Although I have, of necessity--and quite gladly!--plunged into linux for the sake of my website hobby, I'm still stuck on Windows for my professional work.  Every now and again, I install linux on my office computer for e-mail and browsing, but I'm not ready to take the plunge with my classnotes.

I do run a WAMP stack so that I can have my own private wiki and test PHP scripts on my desktop.  But, in the end, I guess I'm only a semi-nerd.   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

john a delsing

• T2
  • Minnesota Johnny D.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 10:26:23 PM »

Marty,
            You are the man !
The Earth is Full

Hilary Christine Olson

• TIGHAR member
  • My Passion
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 03:23:31 AM »

Marty
May I please email your o/s airline analogies to my 2 professional ultra geek sons and my husband  giving you  author credit  ;D
Thanks
Hilary
HCO

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »

May I please email your o/s airline analogies to my 2 professional ultra geek sons and my husband  giving you  author credit  ;D

By all means, share the joke with your family, but don't give me any credit.

This is one of those jokes that started in the early 80s, I believe, and reached the form I presented above within a few years.  I've only copied it from sources, not contributed to it.  I've added a line to my original post that makes this clearer.   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:16:23 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Bill Roe

• T3
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »

BTW Novell, doing en years ago what Microsoft Server can only just do.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/microsoft-urges-customers-install-security-tool-1B5948322  "Nuff Said..........
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org