Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Campfires at the "7 Site"  (Read 61533 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Campfires at the "7 Site"
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »

Thanks Andrew  :)

Quick Question, The line of tree's from 3-SL to 5

Were they left in place because of the root's ? Or not to contaminate area of interest
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:26:24 AM by J. Nevill »

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »

I keep hearing "well there has to be something attached to AE because of all the artifacts, fire pits, ect being in ONE location"
Excuse my ignorance, but has the island been searched from end to end? Or did TIGHAR pick a likely spot and start looking?
Because if it's the latter, all this debris could be located there, simply because that is where they are looking, right?
The island could be loaded with debris, if you look in another spot and clear off some brush you might find 10 more "fire pits" and old bottles.

But lets say the castaways did pick the 7th site as their hangout. I will tell you a small story- I used to go all night fishing at an island located in the middle of a large lake in Florida. It was hell to get to. Nobody lived on it, there wasn't electricity within 5 miles, but inevitably when we showed up there was another pile of ashes, some beer bottles, junk. If fish exist, rest assured a fisherman will find them. (see notes about the abundance of fish easily caught on Niku). When me and my brother would start a fire we never used one of the existing burn pits, they were full of ashes and the ashes were inevitably wet, so placing dry fat lighter wood(to start the twigs on fire), on top of wet ashes didn't make sense, the wet ashes would make the bottom of our pile wet.. It was easier and faster to clear off a new round sandy area and pile up some sticks. Water percolates through sand very fast, a squall on top of an existing pile of ashes makes for a black wet mess.
No big mystery there. They had plenty of sandy spots to start fires, why use a wet one?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 06:40:55 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but has the island been searched from end to end? Or did TIGHAR pick a likely spot and start looking?

The island has not been searched from end to end.  That would take years.  We do, however, have a great deal of documented information about the island's history - who did what where - and we have sampled many sites around the island, enough to be able to say with great confidence that the Seven Site is truly unique.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »

Excuse my ignorance ...

You can remedy ignorance by reading.

Here are some articles that describe the progress of TIGHAR's research.

Here is an article that describes various methods of informing yourself from material readily available on TIGHAR's website.

Here is an article specifically about the Seven Site, along with links to other articles.

... but has the island been searched from end to end?

That depends on how you define "search."

Some parts of the island have been searched more intensively than others.

... if you look in another spot and clear off some brush you might find 10 more "fire pits" and old bottles.

Sure.  If you have the funds to pay for clearing the "brush" all over the island, that would be an excellent method of answering the question of how unique the Seven Site is.

No big mystery there. They had plenty of sandy spots to start fires, why use a wet one?

It's an interesting theory.  Note that the ground is coral rubble mixed with leaf detritus.  The principle may still apply.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John Hart

• T1
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »

I wanted to add another consideration for artifacts found on Pacific islands and trust me I researched this time before spouting off...did not find anything.

In Dec 2000 I went with a fellow pilot to Midway island to retrieve 2 F-16s stranded there.  While waiting for MX to fix the airplanes we went over to the Eastern Island with the Wildlife foundation folks who were doing a bird count of Goonies.  While there the biologist pointed out multiple carcasses that were full of debris (cigarette lighters, chem lights, bobbers, and in some cases small containers).  Seems the larger birds ingest these items either thinking they are food or mere interest.  Usually they were brightly colored or flashy.  They cannot pass the items, although he said they often pass them on to their young when feeding them by regurgitation, so they accumulate and eventually kill the bird.  I would say we saw hundreds of those carcasses on that little island alone.  Just another way stuff can get to an island, not a value judgement on any TIGHAR artifact on my part.

More in line with what I said earlier and many others have said.  The search, mystery, and debate will not be over when specific identifiable artifacts are found.  I followed the search for the USS Grunion (WWII Sub) and the debate about how she was lost still rages on today long after she was found.

I think TIGHAR is on the right track, doing the right things, and I eagerly await further news.

TWW
JB

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »

Just another way stuff can get to an island, not a value judgement on any TIGHAR artifact on my part.

I wonder how many bright shiny things may have been removed from the Seven Site in this manner - wrist watch, belt buckle, coins, etc.

John Hart

• T1
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »

Great point.  And your experiment with the crabs proves their potential to move/remove items.  Also the human inhabitants also certainly had the ability to find and move or remove items as well.  Makes the challenge very difficult.  Did the shoe parts you found come to that location by our principles depositing them there, one of the later human inhabitants found them and moved them there, or they were in a suitcase that floated ashore there?  A difficult archaeological problem for sure.  Far more promise in airplane parts but that will still leave many questions unanswered, maybe forever.

JB

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »

I wonder how many bright shiny things may have been removed from the Seven Site in this manner - wrist watch, belt buckle, coins, etc.

Ah, THAT is THE great wonderment, imagining how readily and how many(?) others MAY have passed by this one place...and naturally removed any and all items of value. 

I believe, to an item, all artifacts found at the 7-site are in the distinct category of "detritus"?   I suspect that when it comes to bright shiny objects, Humans would be more disciminate than crabs.

And also THE great consternation, for if only ONE of the items (particularly like the first two) you name, Ric, were found...ANYwhere on the island...

...perhaps something still awaits nearby?    perhaps at "Camp Zero"? 

In any case, it fires the imagination.

LTM,
dp
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org