Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos from Symposium  (Read 95776 times)

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
Re: Photos from Symposium
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

Hello Richie and Jeff,
I would like to enhance a picture that might show the clips found at the 7 site.
Can you tell me what to use or maybe you can help?
It's the "Box1" picture in the "Can you help Identify the little clips" thread, in the Join the Search section.
I need to see the strap attachment better, also if any evidence of a dovetail joint of the box at the bottom edge.

In the comparison you did of the upside down gear, is the tire exploded? It looks like just part of the black thing on top is the only rubber left.
3971R

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2012, 02:56:20 AM »

Richie,

You need to acquire the high resolution image to seriously study the Nessie (Bevington Object) photo and others.

When dealing with low resolution JPEG compressed images, artifacts are generated that are not part of the original image.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »

Hello Richie and Jeff,
I would like to enhance a picture that might show the clips found at the 7 site.
Can you tell me what to use or maybe you can help?
It's the "Box1" picture in the "Can you help Identify the little clips" thread, in the Join the Search section.
I need to see the strap attachment better, also if any evidence of a dovetail joint of the box at the bottom edge.

In the comparison you did of the upside down gear, is the tire exploded? It looks like just part of the black thing on top is the only rubber left.

i will check it out, an see if i can get a clear image for you, of the strap

as for landing gear, i think the image speaks for it's self... i see upside down landing gear with tyre intact, but then i see objects in Rov video that are more obvious than Nessie is....

However that's just my opinion no one else's  :)

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2012, 06:37:18 PM »

Hi forum readers. I am going to post photos from the event throughout the three days of the symposium. It's 12.25pm on Friday in Washington. I have just posted a test picture to the web link below. I am not sure how often I can post that will depend mostly on my camera and iPad batteries. Please reply if there is a particular shot you might like or that you think I am missing. Wish you were here.

The hall is starting to fill up nicely. The test shot is the empty meeting room being set up.

The link is. https://picasaweb.google.com/irvdonald/Earhart75thSymposium?authkey=Gv1sRgCIKup5u7tdXUlQE

If it breaks then let me know. Thanks.

I quote this because I could not make a link to this site work. In Irv's pictures is one labeled "More aluminum" which shows several pieces of artifact aluminum that I had not seen before (see #3 below). One of the pieces shown is a narrow strip in the rear of the display that is painted red. I have studied the entire airframe, as much as available photos allow, and I have concluded that there are only two areas of the aircraft that had red paint.

1. The top of the horizonal stabilizer which has no noticable strips.

2. The leading edge of each wing. Sometimes the paint is hard to see in the photos but it shows up well in others if you know what you are looking for. 

Here is a link to a picture that shows the paint well on the bottom of the port wing (see #1 below).

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,802

The rear edge of the paint is defined by the dark colored stripe just forward of the "N" of the registration number. Next to the engine cowling is a strip that is part of the red painted area. It wraps around the leading edge of the wing and goes toward the trailing edge of the wing. If you place your cursor on the picture, near where the strip is located, and left click the you can zoom in on the area in question (it may take a few seconds for this to start to work). The artifact strip, in my opinion and having no indication of scale, looks like it could be a part of the strip on the Electra.

You can actually see the strip better in this picture when you zoom in. The red color does not show up here (see #2 below).

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,351

Comments from you guys who were fortunate enough to be able to attend the symposium? 
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:53:45 AM by C.W. Herndon »

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »

Comments from you guys who were fortunate enough to be able to attend the symposium?

Wasn't at the seminar but could that red be red lead primer - fairly commonly used on US aircraft, especially naval types.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2012, 05:32:59 AM »

Malcolm, red lead primer was used on ferrous metals and was more of a brownish red color. It is no longer used in the US because of the lead content.

Zinc chromate primer was and and to the best of my knowledge is still used on aluminum. It is either a light green or a pale yellow color. Most paints will not stick to aluminum without the zinc chromate primer being applied first.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:26:16 AM by C.W. Herndon »

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »

Malcolm, red lead primer was used on ferrous metals and was more of a brownish red color. It is no longer used in the US because of the lead content.

Zinc chromate primer was and and to the best of my knowledge is still used on aluminum. It is either a light green or a pale yellow color. Most paints will not stick to aluminum without the zinc chromate primer being applied first.

Thanks - yes I am aware of the use of zinc chromate and why. It acts to etch the surface slightly thus not only providing corrosion resistance but also to give the camo paint for the aircraft something to adhere to. When the Japanese attacked the US bases in the Phillipines in 1941 a number of P35s were hastily camoed with OD without any primer and the paint come off in sheets as tropical moisture got under it.   

However I have noted on some Navy aircraft recovered from one of the Great Lakes where a couple of paddle steamers converted to rudimentary aircraft carriers were used to train pilots in deck landings that on some (F4Fs Wildcats) that parts of the skin where the top camo paint has worn off have a red undercoat or primer. Also Vought used their own mix of zinc chromate which was a salmon red-pink on the F4U (Corsair), which was why I asked the question. Therefore use of a red coloured primer is well-documented and so this may mean that that piece of aluminium on display is off a WW2 naval aircraft.     

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2012, 02:39:38 AM »

Well documented where?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2012, 04:04:47 AM »

Well documented where?

Where? I suggest that you do searches on your search engine of choice relating to aircraft recoveries from the Great Lakes, especially articles with photographs. Also, and this might seem strange, visit some of the aircraft modelling forums especially http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/ and search under salmon pink, Vought, Corsair etc. Here is a link http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1303516369/NAS+Pensacola+Update+2 . It is surprising how knowledgeable aircraft modellers are on the many many subtleties of aircraft finishes, it might seem strange but most of our current historical aviation experts are also modellers or post regularly on those forums. Many posters actually work in the industry or have real hands on time with the genuine things.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:14:35 AM by Malcolm McKay »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2012, 04:20:27 AM »

Malcolm, your documentation appears to be very long list of articles concerning many phases of model building. I don't have time to go through the list trying to find something to back up your comments.

Are you saying that I have no "hands on experience"?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2012, 04:35:27 AM »

Malcolm, your documentation appears to be very long list of articles concerning many phases of model building. I don't have time to go through the list trying to find something to back up your comments.

Are you saying that I have no "hands on experience"?

Did you try this -

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1303516369/NAS+Pensacola+Update+2

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2012, 04:56:49 AM »

My Internet Explorer will not bring up that link.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2012, 05:07:33 AM »

My Internet Explorer will not bring up that link.

It should now - for some benighted reason known only to the gremlins of the internet the hosting service decided to collapse. I also couldn't access it for a while. It seems to be up now. Fingers crossed.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2012, 05:26:36 AM »

Thanks Malcolm. It opened this time. I have never seen that color used before. Also, I knew that the rudder on the Corsair was fabric covered but it appears from looking at these pictures that part of the wings may have also been fabric covered. Is that correct?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2012, 05:45:44 AM »

Gentlemen--Fortunately for us, 1936-1937 was a different era. The things we learned about lead in paint primers probably were'nt known in 1936 when the Electra was being built. But--just because this piece of aluminum has 'red primer', or 'red paint' doesnt mean it was off a WWII aircraft, or the Electra. Because, we dont know, because we havent found out whats on the reef yet.
All of this discussion of what it is or isnt is right now speculation (if I can use that word Marty). We know of the missing 'friendly' aircraft in the area ---see 'aricraft lost in the vicinity of Nikumaroro'. But, I havent found items relating to possible Japanese aircraft. They had large 'flying boats', the Kawanishi H8K, smaller seaplanes in Bougainville, the 'Rufe's", and even A6M2-N's Zeros with floats. So as much as I want to see the wreckage on the reef as being the Electra, until the expedition finds whats there, we dont know for sure, and other possiblities need to be mentioned. Including the B17. Granted, I think the possibliltes are extremely small, but even as small as they are, they are still there.

Back to the 'red primer/paint'---The piece of aluminum appeared to be a trim strip for a wing leading edge, altough it wasnt bent in the contour of that edge. Doesnt mean it wasnt 'altered' in the village. But---kind of looks faded like red paint might have been. As does have countersunk rivits like a external airfoil surface probably would have. Might have been from repair done from the Luke Field incident.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org