Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone get a copy of this photo?  (Read 24577 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Can someone get a copy of this photo?
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:42:15 AM »

Robert Schafish turned up this reference to an aerial photo that TIGHAR has not seen:
Came across the following reference to Nikumaroro and aerial photo..the document is in a Library of Congress collection of material from the Herold J. Wiens collection.  Although item 67 is not dated, it is among a group of USAF photos circa early 1950's.

The link to the Library of Congress page is

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/h?faid/faid:@field(DOCID+gm007001)#ca1_ca3_Locations

Wiens seems to have been a geographer.  He wrote three books, one of which was titled Atoll environment and ecology.

If you can get a copy of the photo, send it on to TIGHAR Central and reply in this thread so that folks know the research is done.

Thanks!

Marty

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
Re: Can someone get a copy of this photo?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »

I just made 2 copies of the photo, taken of Gardner Island in 1939. It was in Atoll Environment and Ecology by Herold J. Wiens.

Photo on way to TIGHAR,
Karen Hoy

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »

You're amazing, Karen--thanks!

Marty
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Richard Lyon Metzger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:52:44 AM »

What about photo number 73? That is also of Gardner....

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »

I hope the photographs can be shown in the documents section of the Tighar site.

Also the trip next year could be our last, and I know it will be full of work, but it would be great if a documentary could be filmed, even if it was a collection of movies taken there,  maybe at different times,edited, put together after returning and narration added later. 

Martin Xavier, I know you are logged in now, How are you, What do you think of a movie from the next trip?  Mike Piner

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:10:19 PM »

I hope the photographs can be shown in the documents section of the Tighar site.

A lot depends on getting permissions ...

Also the trip next year could be our last, and I know it will be full of work, but it would be great if a documentary could be filmed, even if it was a collection of movies taken there,  maybe at different times,edited, put together after returning and narration added later. 

TIGHAR has thousands of hours of video from its expeditions to Niku.  I'm pretty sure that Mark Smith will be on this expedition addition to the treasury. 

Martin Xavier, I know you are logged in now, How are you, ...

I check the forum a couple of dozen times a day--and sometimes neglect to close the page, making it look as though I'm here when really my attention is elsewhere.   :'(  I also check the IMDB forum for Amelia after checking TIGHAR.  It's my standard drill when I'm taking a break from The Rest of Life: e-mail, newsgroups, TIGHAR, IMDB.

But I'm well, thanks.   ;)

Marty
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Erik

• T3
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »

Did copies of #73 ever get to TIGHAR?

This set includes five 8.5X11 photos. Including lagoon, village, lower half island.

I have low res photocopies that I could email/post if interested.

The entire collection was
gifted to Library Of Congress. When this happens they become property of US government. Staff librarian told me copyrights become lifted when this happens.

They could be posted  to Flickr if we want.

Hilary Christine Olson

• TIGHAR member
  • My Passion
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »

I have the book   would that help??? Hilary
HCO

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »

Did copies of #73 ever get to TIGHAR?

I haven't heard.

This set includes five 8.5X11 photos. Including lagoon, village, lower half island.

I have low res photocopies that I could email/post if interested.

The entire collection was gifted to Library Of Congress. When this happens they become property of US government. Staff librarian told me copyrights become lifted when this happens.

They could be posted  to Flickr if we want.

If they're in the public domain, go for it--and thanks!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Erik

• T3
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:51:57 AM »

I tend to think the book itself would retain its copyright status.  Are there any quotes (other than the photos), about the island that you could post?  If I am not mistaken, small passage are allowed to be quoted without violating copyrights.

Give me a couple of weeks.  I'll get the high resolution scans to post.

Hilary Christine Olson

• TIGHAR member
  • My Passion
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 07:03:54 AM »

I tend to think the book itself would retain its copyright status.  Are there any quotes (other than the photos), about the island that you could post?  If I am not mistaken, small passage are allowed to be quoted without violating copyrights.

Give me a couple of weeks.  I'll get the high resolution scans to post.

[  I am Looking now H
HCO

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »

Agreed on both points.  The version of the photograph in the book would have its own copyright even though the original has been donated to the nation. 

Quoting material from books for the purpose of research and discussion is "fair use."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Hilary Christine Olson

• TIGHAR member
  • My Passion
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »

Marty I have sent you the copyright from, the book as there are a couple of exceptions written.  It's possible that one instance could  qualify TIGHAR. H
HCO

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »

Marty I have sent you the copyright from, the book as there are a couple of exceptions written.  It's possible that one instance could  qualify TIGHAR. H

Thanks, Hilary.  I don't think TIGHAR fits either category envisioned in the copyright notice.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org