Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Press Conference at State Department, 20 March 2012  (Read 97244 times)

Lisa Anne Hill

• T1
Re: Press Conference at State Department, 20 March 2012
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »

What great news!! Great to hear Nessie turned out to be the real thing. Let me know if any of y'all make it out to the Pacific Aviation Museum while you're on Oahu - they have a little Amelia exhibit there and it would be great to get to meet some of the TIGHARs in person. ;D

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »

For those who missed the live event, the video and transcript of Clinton's remarks from the Press Conference are available from the State Department.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »

sure bombed the site out for a while.

Love the video and fantastik news

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »

sure bombed the site out for a while.

Yes, it did.

Sorry about that.

Everything was fine around 11:20 AM, when I left to proctor an exam for my Tuesday-Thursday course.  By the time I reached the classroom across the street and got the computer running there, the Forum had collapsed.  I was able to hack out the "leave me alone" message using VI and SSH while I was in the classroom.  When I got home, I authorized the quadrupling of our resources.  That wasn't enough.  I also had to tweak the number of servers allowed by Apache.  Things seem back to normal for me now.  I imagine we may get more hits after the evening news.  We may need another tweak if things bog down again.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »

more interest, more members, more debate and more money?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »

The most frequently asked question today is, "What was the picture that kindled interest in the new expedition?"
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »

Marty,  Any chance of seeing the enhanced version of the photo that stirred up so much excitement? I know what I thought I saw in the original. I would love to see the enhanced.  LTM -John

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »

Ric
Kudos to you and all the TIGHARS.  An excellent job of getting the search to the attention of people that can help in the right areas.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »

" . . . fair winds, and a following sea, and a little luck!"

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

Any chance of seeing the enhanced version of the photo that stirred up so much excitement? I know what I thought I saw in the original. I would love to see the enhanced.

I don't have anything better than what appears in the two research reports.

Even if I did happen to have a higher-resolution picture, I wouldn't put it up without Ric and Pat's permission.  They may have all kinds of contractual obligations that they have to meet.

Ric and Pat have a very full plate today, as I'm sure you can imagine.  I expect that they will do a full writeup on the proposed expedition.  If all goes well, the ship will depart for Niku on July 2nd. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »

i think the pic we caught glimpse of in today's announcement, is same resolution pic, as in the link to nessie that Marty posted earlier,

it's no clearer higher resolution than what were seeing standard size :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »

Congratulations on the new search effort. This is going to be an interesting summer and I cannot wait to see the side-scan sonar data. If the Electra is there, I cannot imagine how this high-tech autonomous sub could miss it. It is going to be a real nail biter.

Will we have to wait until the documentary is out before we know the answer as to whether something was located?

As to the analysis of Nessie, I would also be very interested to see higher resolution copies of they exist. I had the impression that Ric had taking photos of a photo while visiting the guy who originally snapped the shot. Putting the original photo under a high resolution scanner might yield better results. Just for kicks I have attached a couple images where I attempted to enhance the Nessie image using adaptive equalization that can bring out details where they are not readily apparent. It sure would be interesting to see what the State Department was viewing for their blind study that declared this to be from a 1937 Electra.

I would also like to pose the question that will be asked sooner or later. What happens if the Electra is not found around Niku? Will TIGHAR remain convinced of the presence of AE and FN on Niku and continue the search on land? Would there perhaps be a reconsideration of the Niku theory? I suppose that one could suggest that once the Electra cleared the reef, it could have floating for many miles before sinking.

Thanks.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

Will we have to wait until the documentary is out before we know the answer as to whether something was located?

Time will tell.  We won't be told the details of Discovery's contract with TIGHAR; if I were writing a non-disclosure contract, one of the things that I would not want disclosed is the fine print in the contract itself.

As to the analysis of Nessie, I would also be very interested to see higher resolution copies of they exist. I had the impression that Ric had taking photos of a photo while visiting the guy who originally snapped the shot. Putting the original photo under a high resolution scanner might yield better results. Just for kicks I have attached a couple images where I attempted to enhance the Nessie image using adaptive equalization that can bring out details where they are not readily apparent. It sure would be interesting to see what the State Department was viewing for their blind study that declared this to be from a 1937 Electra.

In the press conference, Ric gave the impression that Jeff Glickman was working from a negative.  I haven't replayed the video, so I'm relying on my memory and may be mistaken.  It may have been a negative derived from a print rather than the original negative.

I would also like to pose the question that will be asked sooner or later. What happens if the Electra is not found around Niku? Will TIGHAR remain convinced of the presence of AE and FN on Niku and continue the search on land? Would there perhaps be a reconsideration of the Niku theory? I suppose that one could suggest that once the Electra cleared the reef, it could have floating for many miles before sinking.

Proving some kinds of negatives is notoriously difficult.  Determining the meaning of an apparently negative result from this search will have to wait until this search is complete.  Then we may be able to choose from among the various alternatives:

• The negative result shows that the aircraft never was on Niku.
  • The negative result shows that the search didn't cover enough ground.
  • The negative result shows that the aircraft was pulverized into aluminum sand (a hypothesis suggested years ago by Howard Alldred, may he rest in peace).
  • The negative result only shows that the aircraft was not in the area searched.
  • The negative result shows that any aircraft remains in the area were too small to be identified by the technology used.
  • etc.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »

I have been following Tighar's 'search' for Amelia since I unfortunately had time three years ago when I became unemployed for the first time in my life.  And I WOULD be a member....and will be as soon as I can get back on my feet. 
This news is so exciting!! 
Way to go Tighar!!!  Way to go Ric and company!   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »

My  congratulations to TIGHAR and to Ric. How you could keep a straight face for the past several months is beyond me! Your credibility is off the chart as far as I'm concerned. I dont know how you were able to convince State, and Bob Ballard to climb aboard, but I think I can speak for alot of members and say thank you. You and TIGHAR took a major step forward with this announcement. When parts of the Electra ARE found, and brought home, it may be resources from Bobs group, or Unvi of Hawaii, or something else, but its the TIGHAR team that will get the credit.
I'm proud of you my friend----see you in DC!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org