Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sherman A. Groenke  (Read 12190 times)

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
Sherman A. Groenke
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »

Sherman A. Groenke (11/15/1914 - 11/08/2008) was a combat artist with the Coast Guard in the South Pacific. Together with a writer and photographer, Groenke was commissioned to make a record of activities of the Coast Guard in various stations during WWII. During his free time he made sketches for a personal record, which he mailed home (probably in or near Milwaukee, Wisconsin). His paintings depict Gardner, Baker, and Canton Islands among others. I don't find mention of him on the TIGHAR website or in the old forum, anyone in the Milwaukee area care to pursue this?

Dan Brown, #2408

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Sherman A. Groenke
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »

Courtesy of Steve Sopko, the son of the CO of Coast Guard Unit on Gardner Island, we have copies of two sketches made by Groenke at Gardner - a drawing of the unit's launch tied to the dock at the Loran station and a drawing of the launch approaching a PBY moored in the lagoon.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »

Now that is interesting-----a drawing of a PBY moored in the lagoon. Meaning that it landed there, and didnt hit any submerged rocks, obstructions etc. That is interesting. I guess my next question is, all PBY's , Ducks, etc that might have been in the area ARE accounted for? if so, this DOES eliminate alot of doubts about the Electra.
tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »

I guess my next question is, all PBY's , Ducks, etc that might have been in the area ARE accounted for?

The New Zealand Survey mapped out and marked a landing area for flying boats in the lagoon in 1939.  U.S. Coast Guard and Navy PBYs routinely landed in the lagoon during WWII.  No aircraft is recorded as having been damaged.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »

Ok---well I'm trying to be calm, but if there are no other aircraft incidents recorded in the area, sure does seem like circumstantial evidence of a Lockheed 10E Electra there ---somewhere.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org